Are you making money investing in California?

3 Replies

Hey BP,

Just curious if there are any investors who could give some advice or share their personal stories about how they’ve invested successfully in California.

Some quick info about me: I’m 24, college student, two part time jobs, and am studying real estate/RE finance so I️ can buy assets ASAP.

I’m based in Torrance CA which is an expensive place to live. I’ve looked at multiple multi family buildings for sale in Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, and Long Beach, and when I️ run the numbers I see that I️ have a NOL. Most of the time the income generated by the building won’t even cover debt service. I want to avoid investing in “hood” areas where it is les expensive like Inglewood due to stories my uncle (a landlord in Long Beach) told me when he bought 62 units in Long Beach about 20 years ago.

Am I️ looking in the wrong places? Should I wait out this sellers market and buy during the next down cycle? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses.

Let’s connect I would love to chat with you about investing in California and how it has gone for me the last 8 years.

Originally posted by @Spencer Shortland :

Hey BP,

Just curious if there are any investors who could give some advice or share their personal stories about how they’ve invested successfully in California.

Some quick info about me: I’m 24, college student, two part time jobs, and am studying real estate/RE finance so I️ can buy assets ASAP.

I’m based in Torrance CA which is an expensive place to live. I’ve looked at multiple multi family buildings for sale in Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, and Long Beach, and when I️ run the numbers I see that I️ have a NOL. Most of the time the income generated by the building won’t even cover debt service. I want to avoid investing in “hood” areas where it is les expensive like Inglewood due to stories my uncle (a landlord in Long Beach) told me when he bought 62 units in Long Beach about 20 years ago.

Am I️ looking in the wrong places? Should I wait out this sellers market and buy during the next down cycle? What would you do in my shoes? Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses.

Many folks who live in CA invest out of state. The entire turnkey business model works so well because there are so many people living in CA who want to make money in rental real estate but cannot get CA investments to pencil out.

@James Wise

I agree.

The truth is that there are huge amounts of money to be made in California real estate however the barriers to entry are big.

Obviously the biggest barrier is cost. If you have an income of $75,000/yr will you even be approved for a home loan for a $600,000 property? Probably not.

House hacking will be hard due to the shortage of available 2-4 unit properties and their extremely high cost. The down payment, even at 3.5%, could take years to save. The low rent to price ratios will guarantee that you will probably not cash flow.

If you are already wealthy or very highly paid, you can make a lot of money on California real estate. For everyone else it may benefit to look outside the state.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.