Wholesaler · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 28 votes
I read a post that said “Real Estate is 95% Mindset & 5% Real Estate” it’s seems to be true because some days I can work on finding a deal for about 4-5 hours and there’s other when I can’t even do it for 30 mins. I’m having a hard time really sitting down and getting to it. I know that’s my downfall.
What do you guys do for motivation ? What keeps you going even when it seem like it’s getting you no where.
Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
there are those that want.
And there are those that WANT!! As in whatever it takes.
I am not those that ties happiness to the process. To me that is a very nostalgic poetic theoretic, and lobby dobby not realistic, no time for that , way of viewing things.
Note I am not jabbing at the poster... I said FOR ME that is not the case.
I NEED my freedom. I am not happy sitting till the late hours writing SEO for my website.
I am not happy telling a seller that needs money for their sick child's operation that I can only pay $70K for their house instead of $120K she should be getting.
I am not friggin HAPPY to drive all over friggin damn CT looking at houses that may or may not lead to a damn deal.
What drives me, is when I see people like Brandon doing podcasts from friggin Hawaii while I am freezing my monkey nuts off hustling so I can be able to be free, and live life on MY damn terms when I make it.
I used to stare at a bag of crab legs in the super market.my mind says NO you greedy animal you can't afford it, while my belleh says .. dude, that with butter.. are you kidding? GET IT.. just for me to ge it, put it in my cart walk to the register to then turn around and put it back because I know I can't afford that stuff.
Why I do it? Thinking how my parents sacrificed everything so I could get a solid education without having to work a day during college because I was nose deep in Complex equations of linear and nonlinear thermodynamics and chaotic flows", and couldn't sacrifice the time to work while studying! And now someone needs to take care of them! And it sure as hell ain't going to be my brother or my sister... as they are too busy with providing for themselves!
No, sorry. for me it is not some happiness attachment. For me is is do or friggin die. I am relentless unyielding because I NEED to live life on my damn terms!
I will crush, destroy, annihilate, obliterate, dominate anyone in my way to that goal. When I say I need this, I friggin NEED THIS!
What keeps me going when things are getting you nowhere?
Wholesaler · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 70 posts · 28 votes
8y
@Thomas S.
Yup! You’re correct sometimes I ask myself how can you get up everyday and go to a job you dislike, surrounded by people you dislike to make chump change but you can’t get up n work for your future! Thank you!
Money is the motive !
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8y
One thing I found to be super motivating is listening to personal development audiobooks while I work or in the truck commuting . One guy in particular I really like .Tony Robbins had a mentor who taught him ...his name is Jim Rohn . This guy Jim practically invented NLP and will get your fire lit each morning if your willing to listen to him. it can completely change your outlook on life .you must stay motivated because if your not you will quit .you must run the day or the day will run you
One thing I found to be super motivating is listening to personal development audiobooks while I work or in the truck commuting . One guy in particular I really like .Tony Robbins had a mentor who taught him ...his name is Jim Rohn . This guy Jim practically invented NLP and will get your fire lit each morning if your willing to listen to him. it can completely change your outlook on life .you must stay motivated because if your not you will quit .you must run the day or the day will run you
LOVE JIM ROHN my dad gave me all his tapes of the day and they are timeless.. there are many of the oldies but goodies .. !!!!
the get rich buying my course and wholesaling guru's not so much !!!
Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 6 votes
8y
@Shanae Williams You could have a 20k day tomorrow if you wake up and just get to work. Knowing that potential is around every morning is powerful.
Dedication hard work + patience = the sum of all your sacrifices.
Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
BP is my motivation. 1 podcast episode a day and a minimum of 15 minutes a day on the forum, the weekly webinar, and my monthly REI meetup. Treat it like a college course.
Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 10 votes
8y
I love to listen to podcasts and audiobooks. I do asphalt construction so I have earbuds in all day. Keeps me thinking about my next steps and inspires me to actually follow through with the process of achieving my commitments step by step
Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
@Tami R. Just Biggerpockets right now. I'm only on episode 152. But I know some of the podcasts guests have their own podcasts. I'm sure a quick Google search of "real estate podcasts" will generate results. Or post here in the forums for suggestions!
Rental Property Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 12 votes
8y
@Shanae Williams I’m motivated by several things but first I want to encourage you and say that motivation comes and goes. It’s ok to take a break or even try new things. Sometimes REST is the best medicine for the heart and mind.
I’m motivated by a couple things:
1. One is financial freedom. I want my money to work for me. I want to be generous.
2. I love real estate. I love that it works. I love design and being creative. I love the challenge of finding deals, adding value to homes and adding value to people.
3. Inheritance for my kids.
Last try to have fun. Money isn’t everything!
Initially I was highly motivated to get out of the cubicle and the commute. I moved my little family 3 states away and bought a doublewide in a park. My why was huge and it was freedom from.
15 years later, I'm content and ain't got time for dat. The only thing I'm 10x ing is a nap. Kind of lost and wondering why I should keep hunting, keep doing.
Sometimes a lamb gets lost along the way, but we are always here to welcome them back to the Dark Si.... er.... back to the fold...
@Shanae Williams at the end of the day, I just try to remember one thing. Not small reasons, not post it notes, not the "next high" of a successful deal. If you find it hard to get motivated you just need to remember. It's not a job, it's not work... It's your LIFE. If you're happy with where you are, then you can sit back, 10x a nap like Steve was doing at one point. But if you still want to change your life, then YOU need to CHANGE it. Each step you take along the road, each minute you spend researching, writing an offer, driving around neighborhoods is a step you're taking towards a better life. Money shouldn't be the only goal, it won't buy you happiness. If money bought happiness, then the rich, famous, or rich and famous would never commit suicide, but they do. But if lack of money is holding you back from your own personal FREEDOM... Only you can change that. If you choose to.
Lonoke, AR · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 16 votes
8y
The thought of having a beautiful wife and beautiful kids will make me start day dreaming and give me butterflies. Just thought of having that motivates me.....:)
@Jerryll Noorden This was very inspiring, I loved it! I am just now getting into the real estate business myself and share the same kind of passion for it!!!
Thank you!
Yes get into real estate! into it, on top of it, over it, around it...
It’s like you just called me out n I feel targeted lol but you’re absolutely right.
The fact that my life right now is not how I want it should be the only thing that wakes me up and ready to change it. Thank you . No more excuses for myself.
Freck yeah I DID call you out ^_^
You have to get used to me. I am wickedly blunt but I do it because I like you Ha!
My point simply was this:
Watching podcasts, doing research, making lists of things to do...
Stop planning for things to do and start doing.
I can say this because I made that mistake myself. I wasted SO much time thinking I needed more "know how".
Believe me you know enough to take the first 3 steps. So take those 3 first steps.
Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 110 votes
8y
Discipline > motivation. Always.
Motivation is a great tool and should be leveraged when you have it. Some days you'll be motivated. Others you won't. That's where discipline comes into play: discipline is moving forward and making progress, even when you don't always feel like it.
Rental Property Investor · Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 108 votes
8y
I have goals for my life, career, finances, etc. Then I put together a game plan to accomplish them while rewarding myself along the way (If I get this done by X date then I will buy this). Go getters or entrepreneurs are easily distracted by shiny object syndrome. Something new sparkly comes along that promises a greater life, income, etc. and they will jump on it. However doing that you become too distracted trying to have your hands in too much. Simplify and focus. That's my two cents worth anyway.
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
8y
A few things for me:
1. Getting up early. I wake up before 5 AM on weekdays. Getting started before anyone else lets you work when energy is high, and you are not distracted by calls, emails, kids, friends, colleagues etc. Obviously, have to get enough sleep too. If you are a late night person, and work best then, then OK, consider staying up until 12 or 1 or whatever works, when no one can bother you. Point is, hours when your energy is high and you can't get distracted.
2. Exercise. I try to go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week, and go for an intense power workout at least once per week. I think Tony Robbins said "Motion creates emotion." It's so true.
3. Recovering: I do think that burnout is real, and it is better to take a certain number of hours and be very highly productive, than to say we worked like 14 hours, but a lot of distractions in there. So, this means, eliminating all distractions when working, but finding time (ideally one day a week) when you really unplug.
There are a few reasons why I do what I do everyday.
First is my family. I want to put my family and myself in the best position I can possible. If I don't, I've failed them.
Second reason is to retire with no issues or worries. I also try to educate my friends and family on this one but of course I always do tell them to speak to a professional (their CPA, tax person, or accountant).
Third is financial freedom will allow me to do other things that I enjoy the most. One of those things is officiating basketball games. Since I stopped playing, I really enjoy officiating the game. Keeps me connected to the game, growing in my abilities, is a reason why I work out because the kids age stay the same but I get older every year, and finally I want to be able to do it whenever I want. I love the flexibility and freedom.
First two reasons propelled me to do it. The third reason kind of just came about. Hope this helps and yes there are days that I struggle like you do. I just try to reset myself and I'm trying to practice more journal-ing.
Hope this helps and thank you for the great post! Be well and God bless!
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
The work that I do for my business is in line with my personal values. I have found that when I am acting in accordance with my personal values, I am motivated and excited about what I do and have no problem staying on task.
For example, one of my biggest motivators is "value." I just LOVE to get a deal (on anything); and especially in our "affordable housing" apartments we provide exceptional value in areas where reasonably priced, nice units are quite rare-- we are able to give our tenant a "a great deal"