How was your experience as a newbie investor?

How was your experience as a newbie investor?

Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 9 votes

Entrepreneurship is exciting and challenging and requires a strong mindset which is what I'm discovering. It's not like my mentor didn't tell me what to expect, they absolutely did. Listening to someone else talk about is not the same as actually experiencing it.

Hi Bigger Pockets, I'm Ellis, a new member and a newbie investor. After four years of thinking about it, I've finally took action. I have my business all set up and finding out that I'm not an investor, but a marketer and salesman.

On a serious note after ever since I've working being paid well below what I'm worth, 6 year ago, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad, then Think and Grow Rich. I'm sure a lot of us have read there life and mindset change book but it's a process, especially with zero deals.

I've been at for about seven weeks (not long at all). But this is the decision I've made and that's the path I'm staying on. All I can see is the future success from the work I put in now.

I'd like to know how it was for you seasoned investor who started in the business with nothing but faith and a burning desire? What advice would you give a new investor like myself and others to ensure we're successful?

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · WV · Member since 2018 · 454 posts · 310 votes
8y

Ellis, 

Congratulations on getting the correct mindset and pushing yourself to begin as a real estate investor! I enjoy both of those books as well, and my father was a big fan of Think and Grow Rich. He started out with nothing and created a great life with a thriving construction business and many real estate holdings. He attributed his success to his burning unwavering desire for success and refusing to fail. I got my passion for real estate from him at a early age. 

I see you are from Baltimore MD, not too far away from me. I am a licensed Realtor in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, Washington County MD, and Frederick County VA. I am only about an hour and a half from Baltimore. Let me know if you ever need any advice in my area's of expertise! Thanks Aaron

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · WV · Member since 2018 · 454 posts · 310 votes
    8y

    Ellis, 

    Congratulations on getting the correct mindset and pushing yourself to begin as a real estate investor! I enjoy both of those books as well, and my father was a big fan of Think and Grow Rich. He started out with nothing and created a great life with a thriving construction business and many real estate holdings. He attributed his success to his burning unwavering desire for success and refusing to fail. I got my passion for real estate from him at a early age. 

    I see you are from Baltimore MD, not too far away from me. I am a licensed Realtor in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, Washington County MD, and Frederick County VA. I am only about an hour and a half from Baltimore. Let me know if you ever need any advice in my area's of expertise! Thanks Aaron

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the kind and inspiring words. Think And Grow Rich is an amazing book, I forget to mention "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles. It's pretty profound of how relevant those books are today written in the early 20th century. 

    I'll be a licensed Real Estate Agent around November. I'm presently enrolled in class (third week). Thanks for the offer and I will take you up on that. 

  • Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 103 votes
    8y

    Just go buy something. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Ellis Thurman Jr There is an old joke.  

    Starting with nothing or very little is possible but Very hard. on the positive side you will find a strong network of Baltimore area investors here on BP and there are lots of investor groups in the area to network with other investors in person.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.