BP Intro Post-Looking to network and meet new people

BP Intro Post-Looking to network and meet new people

South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes

I am 20 years old currently living in New Jersey starting my journey looking to dive into the world of REI. My biggest goal now is to become knowledgeable on buy and hold property investing in order to grow a large spread portfolio and to increase cash flow within my endeavors. After high school I started by going to college to become a Nurse I am still currently in school for it because it is an aspiration of mine. Along the way however, I have stumbled into REI through a friend, at first I got a small taste and brushed it off thinking I wasn't ready or not capable of doing it. I recently came back around the past month or so and have been hooked ever since. I am constantly listening to podcasts heading to and from work (mainly BP podcasts), researching books I should read, and have been trying to retain as much information as I possibly can. I am here now to begin meeting new people (something I enjoy doing) as well as start to network. I am excited to meet all of the new, up and coming, and successful entrepreneurs in the REI scene and felt posting would attract some conversation. 

I recently began research into my local REIA but wanted to meet people in the BP community who:

  • Are in or around the New Jersey area (feel free to jump in!)
  • People who can give me advice on some next steps to take or personal stories of how they began their journey in the business.
  • Anyone starting out like me facing similar start up fears.
  • Or even people passing by looking to just drop a helpful hint!

Thank you for taking your time to read and join in! I look forward to talking to and meeting you guys. 

2Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Lauren C.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
7y

@Tyler Fretz Hi Tyler! Welcome to BP. There is definitely a great investor network in South Jersey. There is actually a meet up tomorrow in Cherry Hill that I usually attend but an un able to make it this month. Link is below. 

As @Stephen Kappre mentioned, house hacking is a great way to start investing. That was our first property and still live there today. Happy to talk more about all of the benefits (lower down payment and interest rate/ lower risk/ living for free) 

Congrats on getting started and I look forward to hearing about your progress! 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/66...

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP. I am happy to help out @Tyler.  Where in NJ are you? I am currently in North Jersey Market, Union, Morris and Essex county.

    @Tyler Fretzundefined

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Shawn M. Hey man! I am currently living in the South Jersey area around Gloucester county although don’t mind spreading around a little as long as the commute isn’t crazy far.

  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    There are plenty of BP members in your area.  Stay active on site, you'll find them if not hop on Turnpike North.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · South Jersey · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 143 votes
    7y

    Welcome @Tyler Fretz - I am in Gloucester County as well. Great to see you here. 

  • South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Stephen Kappre how did you get started in the business are there any tips on which way you think would be better for me to begin or is jumping in feet first the best experience? Maybe we could meet up or speak over the phone sometime to get into a little more detail if that is okay with you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · South Jersey · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 143 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Fretz one of the great ways often mention here at BP is the house hack. You can do that as a single family home or a multi-unit home. @Lauren C. can chime in on that ;)  There's quite a few ways of course. I spend a lot of time in the car so I'll put in 10-20 hours of education each week, lots of BP stuff for sure. It helps. Reach out if I can help. 

  • Lauren C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    @Tyler Fretz Hi Tyler! Welcome to BP. There is definitely a great investor network in South Jersey. There is actually a meet up tomorrow in Cherry Hill that I usually attend but an un able to make it this month. Link is below. 

    As @Stephen Kappre mentioned, house hacking is a great way to start investing. That was our first property and still live there today. Happy to talk more about all of the benefits (lower down payment and interest rate/ lower risk/ living for free) 

    Congrats on getting started and I look forward to hearing about your progress! 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/66...

  • Rental Property Investor · South Jersey, Cherry Hill and nearby areas · Member since 2015 · 932 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    welcome to bigger pockets!

  • South Jersey · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Stephen Kappre! I have been trying to abuse the BP Podcasts as much as possible too and from work since it is a 40 minute drive each way. It is definitely opening me to a lot of the different stories and avenues house hacking being the one I found would be cheapest and easiest to get my feet wet and learning by doing. I am actually reading BPs How to Invest in Real Estate to get a bit more of an understand on finding deals and making the right one.

    @Lauren C. I appreciate the heads up on the meet up I am going to try and make it as long as I can get some school work out of the way. If not I will be on the look out for more of them and be sure to contact you for future meet ups you may know about. As I was telling Stephen I am doing my due diligence on how to find a good deal and make it work so I have to use no money of my own for payments just upgrades or renovations.

    @Tom Dagney Nice to meet you I actually just recently was looking up the SJ REIA and am looking to get more involved as soon as my classes for the semester are over!

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    7y

    Welcome @Tyler Fretz! That's how I got started as well, consuming as many BP podcasts as possible. Hopefully you made it to the meetup and I saw you there otherwise hopefully catch you at the next one!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.