When calculating property ROI, how do I estimate rent per month?

When calculating property ROI, how do I estimate rent per month?

Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hi. I am starting out in real estate and I have been learning a lot. I've found a few properties but I am having trouble calculating ROI or cash flow because I don't know how to estimate rent per month on properties?

How do I estimate a good rent per month for the property I am looking at? Is there a website or tool that helps me find this out? Or is it a formula? Or do I just ask my realtor? 

If I don't know how to estimate rent per month, how can I calculate cash flow or ROI? Thanks in advance for the help.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
7y

Rentometer.com and Zillow are both pretty accurate. Layer in Craigslist and see where those three sources land you.

As you get VERY serious about a deal, reach out to a prospective property manager.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2019 · 442 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    Well the real answer is "experience".  From what i understand you're investing in an area that you have no clue of how much the  rent is .

    As long as  you don't actually rent out apartments, it's hard to know exactly the rents.

    But to know about how much so you could know how to calculate.

    some would  tell you that the #1 source is a local rental broker, me personally I experienced the opposite, I contacted a few brokers the first time I rented out apartments, and most people were saying more than I know by now the rents are (they just wanted to get me as a client)

    I like "hot pads", because it's a rental website and you should follow and see the prices. again, it's hard to know exactly because it depends on condition, location, etc. But if you follow carefully you get the idea, 

    good luck

  • Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
    7y

    Rentometer.com and Zillow are both pretty accurate. Layer in Craigslist and see where those three sources land you.

    As you get VERY serious about a deal, reach out to a prospective property manager.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brisbane, Australia · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Jimmy Lieu I use what Ernesto mentioned above. Another good source is to find property management companies in the area and look at what online listings they have that are similar. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.