So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
33,168 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Arce:

    @Jacob Gelinas this is the same thing that I fear. I look on here and MLS and don't know if what I see is a deal.

    Sounds like you need more practice analyzing properties. Some local REIAs offer that to new investors.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steven Lam:

    @Frank Patalano my biggest struggle at the moment is finding a way or lender to finance a property/deal. Mainly why this is a problem is that there’s so many different lenders such as big bank institutions, credit unions, private lenders, hard money that I’ll have to do my research to narrow down a lender. I guess it’s not very much of a struggle as it is taking the time to do my due diligence to find the “right” lender.

    If anyone has advice how to narrow in on a lender, please let me know, thanks in advance!

     What type of investing are you doing? If you are doing small buy and hold I would look at the commercial lending departments at local banks and credit unions. If you are doing flips I would use hard money. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andy Bailey:

    Nothing, I put in my first offer over the weekend. No I got to do about 30 more before I get my first deal. 

    There you go. Too many accepted offers means that you are offering too much.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Twanna S Canty:

    @Frank Patalano fear

     Can you be more specific? Fear of what?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Twanna S Canty:

    @Frank Patalano fear of choosing the wrong property and unforeseen issues

    Sorry. Now I see your second post. If you start with something easy like single-family and smaller multifamily rentals then you greatly reduce the chances of picking the wrong property. If you use experts, then you will have less of a chance of unforeseen circumstances. There are risks involved with investing. You can lose money. That doesn't mean you will lose money. I have lost money before but I've learned every time.

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 89 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m not sure what’s holding me back but I feel like I’m growing slowly. I own 11 units with a partner and we buy long distance. I started buying 3 years ago. I’m 30 years old currently. The business profits about 6k per month and we don’t touch it except for real estate related expenses. I also only spend about 30% of my W2 income so I save around 5-6k per month personally. Some of which goes into my 401k for the 6% match my company does, and 15% of my income goes into a stock program my company offers to make a guaranteed 15% minimum return every 6 months. I profited 14k last year from that program. I sell every 6 months when I can to buy more real estate, but growth still seems slow. My job pays decently well but I hate it. Maybe my growth only seems slow because I want to quit my job so bad. Quitting a 130k+ job seems like a bad idea right now because I’m leveraging it to grow. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Rick Novotny:

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m not sure what’s holding me back but I feel like I’m growing slowly. I own 11 units with a partner and we buy long distance. I started buying 3 years ago. I’m 30 years old currently. The business profits about 6k per month and we don’t touch it except for real estate related expenses. I also only spend about 30% of my W2 income so I save around 5-6k per month personally. Some of which goes into my 401k for the 6% match my company does, and 15% of my income goes into a stock program my company offers to make a guaranteed 15% minimum return every 6 months. I profited 14k last year from that program. I sell every 6 months when I can to buy more real estate, but growth still seems slow. My job pays decently well but I hate it. Maybe my growth only seems slow because I want to quit my job so bad. Quitting a 130k+ job seems like a bad idea right now because I’m leveraging it to grow. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

     You are not doing anything wrong . You're doing great. Keep it up. Many markets are due for a correction in real estate. Set a goal to be out in 5 years. Keep buying at the pace you are and you will easily be able to quit your job. If you can't wait 5 years, keep working until you can pay yourself equal to your salary. It sounds like you have the drive and hustle to pull it off.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I want to listen to as many podcasts as i can on REI my credit score is poor and I will not be able to get a loan to buy property. I want to try wholesaling but i think having a mentor would benefit me to walk me through the process and legalities in my state.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jaz Reed:

    @Frank Patalano I want to listen to as many podcasts as i can on REI my credit score is poor and I will not be able to get a loan to buy property. I want to try wholesaling but i think having a mentor would benefit me to walk me through the process and legalities in my state.

     Wholesaling will be your best shot. You may not be able to get someone to train you in your local market but Texas is big enough that you might be able to pay someone in a different Market to train you.

    you also have the option of partnering. If you find someone with good credit you could work together

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Looking to find the best market to start investing in..

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Max Lippman:

    @Frank Patalano Looking to find the best market to start investing in..

    There is no perfect/best Market. Too many factors in play. There are good markets. Some markets are better for appreciation, some are better for cash flow.

     If I had waited for the perfect deal I would never have bought anything.

  • Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano fear of the unknown or not knowing what to say if the seller asks that 3rd or 4th question.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nordra Brown:

    @Frank Patalano fear of the unknown or not knowing what to say if the seller asks that 3rd or 4th question.

     You are never going to see these people again. You learn through practice. When you hear the question you will either succeed or learn.

    Now fear of the unknown. Can we translate that into some excitement? About how well you will eventually do. It might not happen today but you are setting yourself on a path for it to happen eventually.

  • Rental Property Investor · Monterey, CA · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Looking through the thread and feeling motivated. Thank you for all the tid bits of valuable information.

    After paying off some bills, I have about $55k , after selling a home, allotted towards making a deal. I have a rental (-$100.00 cash flow, it was our primary residence).

    My first question is: should I pay off more debt to establish a higher credit score(700) before seeking a deal?

    Thank you!

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m afraid I don’t know enough to jump. I have a mortgage on my current home 130k. I could fully finance another, move into it and rent my current home out but is that the right thing to do? I don’t know.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Encoy:

    @Frank Patalano

    Looking through the thread and feeling motivated. Thank you for all the tid bits of valuable information.

    After paying off some bills, I have about $55k , after selling a home, allotted towards making a deal. I have a rental (-$100.00 cash flow, it was our primary residence).

    My first question is: should I pay off more debt to establish a higher credit score(700) before seeking a deal?

    Thank you!

     Hi Mike,

    I don't know the Monterey market. What is your strategy for your next investment? Just trying to think about the $55K that you mentioned.

    What other debts do you have?

    I think that a 700 credit score is okay but over 720 would be better.

    At the same point it doesn't matter at all if you are doing a hard money flip in Sioux City or buying a $45,000 single family near Cleveland.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m afraid I don’t know enough to jump. I have a mortgage on my current home 130k. I could fully finance another, move into it and rent my current home out but is that the right thing to do? I don’t know.

    So set goals to keep educating. 

    It would be the right thing to do, IF you you can break even or make money renting your current home. Are you going to house hack a multi on your next investment?

  • Lakeland, FL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    This is a great forum @Frank Patalano thank you so much for the engagement. Thank you BiggerPockets for the opportunity 

  • Rental Property Investor · Monterey, CA · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the reply, Frank.  I’m only in Monterey for a couple of years and not averse to venturing out of state for deals.  I sold my home in WA thinking we could somehow get into the market in this area.  Unfortunately this market is too steep for us at the moment.  

    Other bills include $5k in credit cards, wife has $12k in cc debt which I would also like to address(she is raising our 2 kids and one on the way).  

    My strategy, albeit a little loose, is to continue to save if I can't find a deal with my current funds. Use a VA loan at our next assignment and buy an additional rental property through conventional while there. I would then rent my VA financed home when leaving and find another property at our next assignment. That would put us at 3 rental homes.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nordra Brown:

    This is a great forum @Frank Patalano thank you so much for the engagement. Thank you BiggerPockets for the opportunity 

    I'm enjoying it as well. Happy to help. Keep in touch.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Encoy:

    Thanks for the reply, Frank.  I’m only in Monterey for a couple of years and not averse to venturing out of state for deals.  I sold my home in WA thinking we could somehow get into the market in this area.  Unfortunately this market is too steep for us at the moment.  

    Other bills include $5k in credit cards, wife has $12k in cc debt which I would also like to address(she is raising our 2 kids and one on the way).  

    My strategy, albeit a little loose, is to continue to save if I can't find a deal with my current funds. Use a VA loan at our next assignment and buy an additional rental property through conventional while there. I would then rent my VA financed home when leaving and find another property at our next assignment. That would put us at 3 rental homes.

    Can you buy a multi through VA financing? Just thinking out loud.

    Bounce around the credit card debt through special offers if you have to. CC Debt is just about the highest debt you can have so watch out.

    At the next assignment you should really be consider househacking a triplex. It is an awesome way to grow your portfolio.

    Either way, I know many who had followed your strategy. They have ended up very wealthy. Keep it up.

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m afraid I don’t know enough to jump. I have a mortgage on my current home 130k. I could fully finance another, move into it and rent my current home out but is that the right thing to do? I don’t know.

    So set goals to keep educating. 

    It would be the right thing to do, IF you you can break even or make money renting your current home. Are you going to house hack a multi on your next investment?

    Thanks for replying Frank! There is a 4 unit multiplex available 15 minutes from my home but in a different state. It's seems very affordable. They're asking $225k. 3 units are occupied at 575/mo rent. The 4th unit is vacant but that's good for me because to fully finance, I think I'd need to live in it from what I've heard on the podcast. My townhouse is in a great neighborhood, best school district in the area and in good condition. I pay $1075/mo for mortgage, insurance and HOA. I think $1360 would be a good rental price using the 1% rule.

  • Rental Property Investor · Monterey, CA · Member since 2019 · 36 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    All noted, Frank.  Thank you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m afraid I don’t know enough to jump. I have a mortgage on my current home 130k. I could fully finance another, move into it and rent my current home out but is that the right thing to do? I don’t know.

    So set goals to keep educating. 

    It would be the right thing to do, IF you you can break even or make money renting your current home. Are you going to house hack a multi on your next investment?

    Thanks for replying Frank! There is a 4 unit multiplex available 15 minutes from my home but in a different state. It's seems very affordable. They're asking $225k. 3 units are occupied at 575/mo rent. The 4th unit is vacant but that's good for me because to fully finance, I think I'd need to live in it from what I've heard on the podcast. My townhouse is in a great neighborhood, best school district in the area and in good condition. I pay $1075/mo for mortgage, insurance and HOA. I think $1360 would be a good rental price using the 1% rule.

     Sounds like a great situation. If I were you I would call up an agent tomorrow to view it. 

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Staci Craft:

    @Frank Patalano

    I’m afraid I don’t know enough to jump. I have a mortgage on my current home 130k. I could fully finance another, move into it and rent my current home out but is that the right thing to do? I don’t know.

    So set goals to keep educating. 

    It would be the right thing to do, IF you you can break even or make money renting your current home. Are you going to house hack a multi on your next investment?

    Thanks for replying Frank! There is a 4 unit multiplex available 15 minutes from my home but in a different state. It's seems very affordable. They're asking $225k. 3 units are occupied at 575/mo rent. The 4th unit is vacant but that's good for me because to fully finance, I think I'd need to live in it from what I've heard on the podcast. My townhouse is in a great neighborhood, best school district in the area and in good condition. I pay $1075/mo for mortgage, insurance and HOA. I think $1360 would be a good rental price using the 1% rule.

     Sounds like a great situation. If I were you I would call up an agent tomorrow to view it. 

    Thanks, Frank! I think I really needed the validation. I’ll call first thing in the morning!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.