So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
34,582 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano relocating to a different city due to work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano what's holding us back currently is rehab money! Working on getting HELOC if that doesn't work out we will need a partner and/or a hard money loan. We're in the process but that's slowing the train!

  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    I have one rental property brought for 67k. Estimated by the city for 94k renting for 900 and mortgage is 570. Would love to buy another rental or a fix and flip. Problem is my credit score is sh$&&t lol(let’s just say below 500 smh). But I can’t move forward with horrible credit. I currently work at the post office and make roughly 50k a year. I know getting my score up would definitely help. But sheesh I’m stuck. Any suggestions besides the obvious lol?

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I'm actually starting to research different areas now to buy my first multi-family property which I plan as a house hack. I'm looking in Fall River Ma and Providence/Pawtucket RI since the barrier to entry is lower than the Boston area where I'm originally from. I guess the fear of buying the wrong property is holding me back .. as I'm sure is a recurring theme with most new investors. With so many active investors in this area I find it hard to believe that the property on the MLS that looks good to me was missed by others which then makes me think I'm missing something that is causing others to pass on it.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shakaria Brooks:

    @Frank Patalano relocating to a different city due to work.

     Sounds great. Is that holding you back? Sounds like an opportunity to start researching a new market.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Carter Owen:

    @Frank Patalano what's holding us back currently is rehab money! Working on getting HELOC if that doesn't work out we will need a partner and/or a hard money loan. We're in the process but that's slowing the train!

     Sounds like you have a plan. Nothing wrong with looking for partners now just in case a 2nd opportunity falls into you lap. One time we ended up getting 3 deals at once. That was unplanned. We really had to stretch our resources. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Smith:

    I have one rental property brought for 67k. Estimated by the city for 94k renting for 900 and mortgage is 570. Would love to buy another rental or a fix and flip. Problem is my credit score is sh$&&t lol(let’s just say below 500 smh). But I can’t move forward with horrible credit. I currently work at the post office and make roughly 50k a year. I know getting my score up would definitely help. But sheesh I’m stuck. Any suggestions besides the obvious lol?

     Find a partner with money/credit but has no time or experience.

    It could be a friend at work. With one of my friends I brought the income into the partnership to get loans because he had no verifiable income.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kenton Whitsey:

    I'm actually starting to research different areas now to buy my first multi-family property which I plan as a house hack. I'm looking in Fall River Ma and Providence/Pawtucket RI since the barrier to entry is lower than the Boston area where I'm originally from. I guess the fear of buying the wrong property is holding me back .. as I'm sure is a recurring theme with most new investors. With so many active investors in this area I find it hard to believe that the property on the MLS that looks good to me was missed by others which then makes me think I'm missing something that is causing others to pass on it.

     Step 1 is to get a referral for an agent to trust in those markets. I know both of those markets very well and could refer people. 

    Is it hard to buy off of MLS? Yes but not impossible. Especially since I have plenty of friends who do it often. I prefer off market. One of my closest friends househacked in the Providence Metro, twice. Actually I could name a dozen friends househacking in Providence. Most bought right off of MLS in the last year or so.

    It can be done.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Getting properly prepared to invest smart, financially and mentally i just closed on my future rental home that I’m currently living in with my family 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Albert Johnson:

    Getting properly prepared to invest smart, financially and mentally i just closed on my future rental home that I’m currently living in with my family 

     Nice job. I don't hear anything holding you back. Sounds like you're taking action. Keep learning and keep looking. New Opportunities come up when you least expect them. If you find another great deal but aren't ready, you could always wholesale it.

  • Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2009 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    For a long, long time, just general fear of not knowing what I'm doing. 

    Then relationship drama capped by a separation.

    Now I'm just trying to get the dust to settle before I dig in and find a property (and people to back me)

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Cliff:

    For a long, long time, just general fear of not knowing what I'm doing. 

    Then relationship drama capped by a separation.

    Now I'm just trying to get the dust to settle before I dig in and find a property (and people to back me)

     My suggestion besides education is to start going to local real estate meetups. There you'll find like-minded people who can support you.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Stamm:

    @Frank Patalano

    Hi Frank, I am currently finishing college (electrical engineering graduate school) so what is holding me back from REI is primarily money and not being settled in an area yet. In the meantime, before I graduate I am trying to learn as much as I can about REI through books, podcasts, and browsing websites like Zillow for deals I would look into in example locations if I had the money to invest and was living there. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

     Your degree is in high demand ,my son has bachelor's degree in E.E had a job before graduation .

    I have a nephew with a degree in C.E he choose to to work in the field makes good money and happy .

    Are you going to work in the field of your degree or work in real estate ?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Billy Smith:
    Originally posted by @Taylor Stamm:

    @Frank Patalano

    Hi Frank, I am currently finishing college (electrical engineering graduate school) so what is holding me back from REI is primarily money and not being settled in an area yet. In the meantime, before I graduate I am trying to learn as much as I can about REI through books, podcasts, and browsing websites like Zillow for deals I would look into in example locations if I had the money to invest and was living there. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

     Your degree is in high demand ,my son has bachelor's degree in E.E had a job before graduation .

    I have a nephew with a degree in C.E he choose to to work in the field makes good money and happy .

    Are you going to work in the field of your degree or work in real estate ?

     Why not do both? My degree is in teaching history. 

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Putting money aside to invest

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Terelle LeCount:

    @Frank Patalano

    Putting money aside to invest

     If you truly want to be an investor, you have to sacrifice to get there. I worked 2 jobs for years to raise money. Set a goal to put aside so much every week no matter what.

  • Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 25 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Billy Smith:
    Originally posted by @Taylor Stamm:

    @Frank Patalano

    Hi Frank, I am currently finishing college (electrical engineering graduate school) so what is holding me back from REI is primarily money and not being settled in an area yet. In the meantime, before I graduate I am trying to learn as much as I can about REI through books, podcasts, and browsing websites like Zillow for deals I would look into in example locations if I had the money to invest and was living there. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

     Your degree is in high demand ,my son has bachelor's degree in E.E had a job before graduation .

    I have a nephew with a degree in C.E he choose to to work in the field makes good money and happy .

    Are you going to work in the field of your degree or work in real estate ?

     Why not do both? My degree is in teaching history. 

    My plan is to do both. I will raise steady income with an engineering salary and supplement that income with REI until it's at the point where it's more like my salary is supplementing my REI income.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Stamm:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Billy Smith:
    Originally posted by @Taylor Stamm:

    @Frank Patalano

    Hi Frank, I am currently finishing college (electrical engineering graduate school) so what is holding me back from REI is primarily money and not being settled in an area yet. In the meantime, before I graduate I am trying to learn as much as I can about REI through books, podcasts, and browsing websites like Zillow for deals I would look into in example locations if I had the money to invest and was living there. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

     Your degree is in high demand ,my son has bachelor's degree in E.E had a job before graduation .

    I have a nephew with a degree in C.E he choose to to work in the field makes good money and happy .

    Are you going to work in the field of your degree or work in real estate ?

     Why not do both? My degree is in teaching history. 

    My plan is to do both. I will raise steady income with an engineering salary and supplement that income with REI until it's at the point where it's more like my salary is supplementing my REI income.

     Nice. A great route.

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano age, im only 16

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Moorhouse:

    @Frank Patalano age, im only 16

     Lol. Excuses.

    You could be mowing lawns to save for future investments.

    You could ask local re clubs to join. Some might say no.

    You could start your own youth investment club and bring in speakers.

    You could have a stock account with your parents and buy REITs.

    You could set up an account to crowdfund an investment.

    You could pass out promo door hangers for an investor.

    You could continue your Education. 

    You could start building a brand on Instagram and podcast interview experts 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano fear of not Benny able to find a buyer while I have a property under contract .

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Robert Van Horn:

    @Frank Patalano fear of not Benny able to find a buyer while I have a property under contract .

     A valid concern. Build a buyer's list now. Target what most buyer's want to buy. Make sure your offer is so cheap that it's a no brainer.

  • Ryan SwainPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Hey Frank. I am a total newbie. My wife and I are just nervous to pull the trigger. And we live in CO and our market is absolutely nuts, even tho it has slowed in the last 8 months. Lack of affordable property is why we are so nervous about it.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Thanks!! looking to get info on a cash out refinance in about 6 months to year to reinvest into another property that’s the plan 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Swain:

    @Frank Patalano Hey Frank. I am a total newbie. My wife and I are just nervous to pull the trigger. And we live in CO and our market is absolutely nuts, even tho it has slowed in the last 8 months. Lack of affordable property is why we are so nervous about it.

     I've heard Colorado is ridiculous. Keep educating and set goals to look at so many properties a week. Try to find off market. If you are househacking or buying an investment, buy for CASHFLOW. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.