So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
33,886 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano lack of education

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Linda D.:

    @Frank Patalano

    Could you share what led you to lose money on your first deal and what the lessons learned were?

     I purchased land at an auction in NYC. I thought that I knew enough to make money. I was so excited by the hype.

    Once I owned it I realized how I knew almost nothing about land development. After finding out that the land was virtually unbuildable, I ended up desperately selling it back to the auction company. Ended up losing about $20,000.

    wow- I didn’t think even a square foot in nyc could be unbuildable. Good to know.

    What made you try again and what did you do next?

  • Rental Property Investor · Union, ME · Member since 2018 · 161 posts · 104 votes
    7y
    Well you need one of three things from what I've heard:

    1. Hustle
    2. Money
    3. Deal

    I don't have the last two, and the first one I am doing but it takes a lot longer. Currently in the early stages of starting up a property management company.

    I'm trying to Grant Cardone my stuff, which means, as per @Ben Leybovich's recent post:

    1. Start cash-flowing businesses.
    2. Grow the business 10Xponetially
    3. Shove all that money into Real Estate and make it produce passive income.

    With my debt taking up all my cash flow from my job, it makes step #1 #2 and #3 close to impossible.

    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Bryan Clement:

    Bad debt. Never go into mountains of debt without being able to garner revenue specifically from it. I got into some bad debt for assets that, yes they are helpful, but in most cases I could bring in revenue without them. So now I have month to month payments that are hamstringing my budget and keeping me in a job I hate.

     You can still make money with a lot of bad debt but it will take more Partnerships and creativity.

  • Boston · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    The current market is somewhat too hot that the cap rate is only reasonable or even below reasonable but it goes pending in 2-3 days with waived inspection and a higher than asking price offer...

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Is it still reasonable to buy properties long distances from where you reside? I have heard of people doing this, but also the flip side, like you mentioning you know people who won’t because they’ve been burned. What are the pros and cons?

  • Rental Property Investor · Temple, TX · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    for us it is fear of the unknown it is always scary doing something unknown. We finally pulled the trigger and are now in escrow on our first duplex!

  • Philadelphia · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I can’t wait to fail so I can get it out of the way ! First flip here I come!!!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Torrance, CA · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    The only thing holding me back is myself. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    My fear is my age, im 51, limited funds, declining credit score due to student loans kicking in, and just plan old fear of getting it wrong while i'm closer to retiring, than I am to recovery.

    But I really...really...really want to do this.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Garrett Arevalo:

    @Frank Patalano lack of education

     The good news is that you can get more education, for free, online, at your fingertips than any person has ever been able to get in human history.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Linda D.:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Linda D.:

    @Frank Patalano

    Could you share what led you to lose money on your first deal and what the lessons learned were?

     I purchased land at an auction in NYC. I thought that I knew enough to make money. I was so excited by the hype.

    Once I owned it I realized how I knew almost nothing about land development. After finding out that the land was virtually unbuildable, I ended up desperately selling it back to the auction company. Ended up losing about $20,000.

    wow- I didn’t think even a square foot in nyc could be unbuildable. Good to know.

    What made you try again and what did you do next?

     Sorry about the confusion. The auction was in NYC but the properties were Nationwide. The subject property was in Western Massachusetts.

    What made me try again? I knew that I wanted to have Investments so I had to continue figuring out other ways to invest. Eventually I tried buy-and-hold multi families.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Clement:
    Well you need one of three things from what I've heard:

    1. Hustle
    2. Money
    3. Deal

    I don't have the last two, and the first one I am doing but it takes a lot longer. Currently in the early stages of starting up a property management company.

    I'm trying to Grant Cardone my stuff, which means, as per @Ben Leybovich's recent post:

    1. Start cash-flowing businesses.
    2. Grow the business 10Xponetially
    3. Shove all that money into Real Estate and make it produce passive income.

    With my debt taking up all my cash flow from my job, it makes step #1 #2 and #3 close to impossible.

    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Bryan Clement:

    Bad debt. Never go into mountains of debt without being able to garner revenue specifically from it. I got into some bad debt for assets that, yes they are helpful, but in most cases I could bring in revenue without them. So now I have month to month payments that are hamstringing my budget and keeping me in a job I hate.

     You can still make money with a lot of bad debt but it will take more Partnerships and creativity.

     One of my partners Jimmy set up a property management company with a partner. He was able to quit his regular job within a few years because they had grown so much. We definitely need good property managers. If you create a company that is better than the rest you will have no problems at all.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Zhao Wang:

    The current market is somewhat too hot that the cap rate is only reasonable or even below reasonable but it goes pending in 2-3 days with waived inspection and a higher than asking price offer...

     I know. I invest one hour out of Boston. Have you been looking at anything off Market?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Houston Little:

    @Frank Patalano

    Is it still reasonable to buy properties long distances from where you reside? I have heard of people doing this, but also the flip side, like you mentioning you know people who won’t because they’ve been burned. What are the pros and cons?

     I know many people that have made a lot of money in out-of-state investing. If you build a great team you'll be fine. You need to network. You need to educate yourself. You or your team needs to have systems.

    Can you lose money out of state? Yes. One street can make a big difference in some cities. But that is something that the experts on your team can help you with.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Maile Clancy:

    for us it is fear of the unknown it is always scary doing something unknown. We finally pulled the trigger and are now in escrow on our first duplex!

     Nice job. And if you're like me, in two years you'll be kicking yourself wondering why you didn't start sooner.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Simir Blackman:

    I can’t wait to fail so I can get it out of the way ! First flip here I come!!!!!

     🔥 now that is a great way to think about it.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @David Mussaw:

    The only thing holding me back is myself. 

     FDR once said " the only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

  • Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thank you for the clarification. In NYC if there is land that is unbuildable - someone will find a way to build on it anyway, lol.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Victoria L.:

    @Frank Patalano

    My fear is my age, im 51, limited funds, declining credit score due to student loans kicking in, and just plan old fear of getting it wrong while i'm closer to retiring, than I am to recovery.

    But I really...really...really want to do this.

     Ray Kroc was 52 when he started franchising McDonald's. If you want to do it that badly oh, you will spend every waking moment focused on it. I met a woman in Boston yesterday who's bought 72 units in the last year. Wow. She owned nothing and had no real estate experience a year ago. You can do this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    I would have to say good ol’ debt is holding me back and not even funds . 😫

  • Philadelphia · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    fail fast and fail cheap!

  • Real Estate Agent · South Dartmouth, MA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    My full time job.  It pays well so it's hard for me to take a step backwards financially for the time being.  I know that my time will be better spent towards my end goals, but I also have a family I need to take into consideration.  When I can fully cover my monthly expenses with cash flow from our properties I'll feel more comfortable to make the switch.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Because it takes a certain amount of money for them to go into areas they don't understand. In this case, they will be worried. On top of that, they worry about whether you're reliable. 

  • Developer · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Molly Armando:

    My full time job.  It pays well so it's hard for me to take a step backwards financially for the time being.  I know that my time will be better spent towards my end goals, but I also have a family I need to take into consideration.  When I can fully cover my monthly expenses with cash flow from our properties I'll feel more comfortable to make the switch.

    Molly,

    If you make $200,000 a year, buying a single family home or a 2-4 unit apartment building is actually NOT worth your time. I have one of my staff members (engineer by training) actually calculate the number of hours an active investor needs to spend to find, analyze, negotiate, finance and manage a small deal (SFH to 2-4 family) and if you make $200K/yr or $100/hour, the paltry $200/month cashflow you make on an SFH does not make it worth while if you pay yourself for the time you spent doing all that work.

    I've acquired over 1,000 apartment units and and some of my investors are high earning commercial real estate brokers, lawyers, doctors, business owners and other high income earners. A lot of them are probably smarter than me but they would rather invest passively than do it actively because it's not worth their time. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Erica Morrow:

    @Frank Patalano

    I would have to say good ol’ debt is holding me back and not even funds . 😫

     Sounds like you need to do a couple wholesales or find a money partner. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.