So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
33,386 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you. Everyone on bigger pockets has inspired me to do it. Worst thing that can happen is I loose my money. The way I see it, as long as I have my job, im ok with loosing everything else haha. Of course the plan is to make money, not loose it. Thanks everyone :)

  • Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I'm in Cali and would rather invest OOS. 

    Looking to find a market to invest in with boots on the ground

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lan Nguyen:

    I'm in Cali and would rather invest OOS. 

    Looking to find a market to invest in with boots on the ground

    Look for connections that you have to certain areas. Family, old college roommates, Former colleagues. If they can't help you maybe they at least have recommend people in that market.

    Find people in a certain market on here, then take a weekend and visit the market. Try to make it the same time as the local REIA has a meeting.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano not understanding how to start. Hi do I know it’s a profitable deal?

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Awesome job on your success + podcast!


    Not knowing where to look next when it comes to purchasing a property. Cash? Financing? Money Lender?

    Renovations, buying, cash flowing, market, area, etc. is all a no brainier to me its the above that has me weary.

  • Ayne C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 251 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    I have six doors but here is what is stopping me from getting #7. It's the feeling that I don't have the time to do due diligence and would not be able to create an amazing deal.

    Yeah I'm in a funk.

  • New to Real Estate · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    What’s stopping me is the fear that I’m not educated enough about the entire process. Been studying and practicing analyzing properties for a couple months.

    How much education/time spent learning before starting is enough?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mikaeel Abdulwakil:

    @Frank Patalano not understanding how to start. Hi do I know it’s a profitable deal?

     Practice running numbers. Practice,  practice, practice. Have other people look at it. You can use calculators.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aubrey Lambalot:

    Awesome job on your success + podcast!


    Not knowing where to look next when it comes to purchasing a property. Cash? Financing? Money Lender?

    Renovations, buying, cash flowing, market, area, etc. is all a no brainier to me its the above that has me weary.

    Start networking. See how others are financing. Maybe partner on that first deal. There is a local REIA that meets in Fall River or New Bedford on the first Tuesday.

    Markets? Fall River and New Bedford are decent.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ayne C.:

    I have six doors but here is what is stopping me from getting #7. It's the feeling that I don't have the time to do due diligence and would not be able to create an amazing deal.

    Yeah I'm in a funk.

     If you love Real Estate you will have to sacrifice to make the time. You could partner with someone that has more time.

    You can do it.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Young:

    What’s stopping me is the fear that I’m not educated enough about the entire process. Been studying and practicing analyzing properties for a couple months.

    How much education/time spent learning before starting is enough?

     Go out there and look at 100 properties. Sounds like you've done enough education. Just get out there and get real life experience.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Thats awesome, I will have to go on Tuesdays in Fall River!

    My Markets are New Bedford - Freetown. I own a 2 family currently in New Bedford.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plymouth, MA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano getting the wrong deal and ending up in financial trouble!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Wooding:

    @Frank Patalano getting the wrong deal and ending up in financial trouble!

     All that I will say is that I lost money on my first deal. I learned a lot from it. It became easier after I took action.

    Learn as much as you can and take calculated risks but don't wait for the perfect deal. There is no perfect deal.

  • Franklin, KY · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Missing student loan payments severely impacted my credit score. I am in the process of repairing that. Went from 492 to 620 in about 7 months. While I’m bringing that up I am also working on saving money to be used as a down payment on my first property.

  • Investor · Fall River, MA · Member since 2014 · 399 posts · 300 votes
    7y

    I agree with @Frank Patalano Fall River and New Bedford are the best cities to invest in Massachusetts at the moment.

    As far as getting the financing it really depends on your skill level and the properties you are targeting.

    If you are interested in meeting up, I run an investment training every Saturday Morning at 10am at my office in Fall River. 

    Send a private message and I can send you the details.

    Cheers to your success!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason May:

    Missing student loan payments severely impacted my credit score. I am in the process of repairing that. Went from 492 to 620 in about 7 months. While I’m bringing that up I am also working on saving money to be used as a down payment on my first property.

     Sounds like you already have a plan to solve your problem.

    Besides that you might be able to find a partner with good credit to cosign/partner on a deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Aubrey Lambalot:

    Thats awesome, I will have to go on Tuesdays in Fall River!

    My Markets are New Bedford - Freetown. I own a 2 family currently in New Bedford.

    @Gualter Amarelo commented on your post. I know him personally and has a lot of experience in the areas that you are speaking about. He also runs that meetup.

  • Franklin, KY · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Jason May:

    Missing student loan payments severely impacted my credit score. I am in the process of repairing that. Went from 492 to 620 in about 7 months. While I’m bringing that up I am also working on saving money to be used as a down payment on my first property.

     Sounds like you already have a plan to solve your problem.

    Besides that you might be able to find a partner with good credit to cosign/partner on a deal.

     Is it common to get a partner if you plan to house hack?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason May:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Jason May:

    Missing student loan payments severely impacted my credit score. I am in the process of repairing that. Went from 492 to 620 in about 7 months. While I’m bringing that up I am also working on saving money to be used as a down payment on my first property.

     Sounds like you already have a plan to solve your problem.

    Besides that you might be able to find a partner with good credit to cosign/partner on a deal.

     Is it common to get a partner if you plan to house hack?

    Sounds Creative. I have to be honest. I don't know. Never did a househack. I would speak to 3 different mortgage brokers. Not 3 banks. 3 brokers that know 10 banks.

    I've have mortgages that everyone said couldn't be done. Instead I found the guy that could do it. No doesn't always mean no. Sometimes it means that my lenders don't do that.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano @Gualter Amarelo Thank you so much! I'm going to send you a message for more info on that Gualter!

  • Southern Virginia · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    What's holding me back is it isn't clear to me that rentals are better than index funds. My index fund has averaged over 10% for the past few years. While I know there are lots of tax advantages to rentals (not to mention asset diversification and the use of leverage), it has just been easy for me to put money in index funds and set it/forget it.

    I looked at a house this week and almost pulled the trigger...$70K purchase, only needs about $10K in paint, molding, tile...simple stuff. Will rent for $1,000. But couldn't make myself do it.

  • Member since 2019 · 94 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    It's interesting to see how common a lot of people's reasons are!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Y.:

    What's holding me back is it isn't clear to me that rentals are better than index funds. My index fund has averaged over 10% for the past few years. While I know there are lots of tax advantages to rentals (not to mention asset diversification and the use of leverage), it has just been easy for me to put money in index funds and set it/forget it.

    I looked at a house this week and almost pulled the trigger...$70K purchase, only needs about $10K in paint, molding, tile...simple stuff. Will rent for $1,000. But couldn't make myself do it.

     Leverage is just something that can't be beat. I am averaging higher than a 10% return on most of my properties, and that's not counting appreciation. The one thing that real estate lacks is liquidity. Besides that you should own a property or two to diversify your portfolio. I'm Diversified as well. I have a portfolio of dividend stocks.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jeffrey Bower:

    It's interesting to see how common a lot of people's reasons are!

     Everyone thinks that they're only one that feels that way.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.