**Scam Alert** Kansas City Private Lender - Michael Treat

**Scam Alert** Kansas City Private Lender - Michael Treat

Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 19 votes

A gentlemen by the name of Michael Treat has joined many of the Kansas City real estate meetups (ie. Kansas City Real Estate Mentoring and Network Group) but he has joined all of local meetups and networking groups recently this week.  They were promoting private lending here is the information I received, I did fill out a loan form but fortunately didn't provide any SSN or banking information.  I was somewhat skeptical from the beginning but continued to dig for information.  Since they were from around Kansas City area I opted to try to setup a meeting in person as I wanted to meet them and build a relationship, but since my request I haven't heard anything.  I continued to dig and was able to track their IP Address from their email and found that this IP address has been used for a lot of scams.  

If your intersted here is the IP Trace I did for the IP address I tracked down from the email exchange I did with this person

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/209.85.220.41

Please do your dudiligence before sending any money to anyone. 

Loan Balance:$150,000.00

Adjusted Loan Balance:$150,000.00

Loan Interest Rate:5%

Loan Term:1 year

Loan fees:$1300

Interest Only Payment:$653.28

Number of Payments:12

Cumulative Payments:$157,500.00

Total Interest Paid:$7500

Note: The monthly loan payment was calculated at 12 payments of $653.28 plus a final payment of $150,000.00

AGREEMENT/CONDITIONS:

{1} Required Age: The borrower must not be below 18 years of age and any age below 18 would be disallowed from this loan offer.

{2} The applicant will start the repayment of loan at the end of every month starting from 2 months after loan has been transferred.

{3} BANK SECURITY POLICY: Due to the high rate of Internet insecurity we have our own method to securing Loan obtained from private lenders .For These reasons, our loans are secured against terrorism, theft and scam. Which is loan Passing through the Registration before Applicant can get HIS/HER loan.

{4} Failure to pay back the loan at this expected date/period, legal Actions will be taken against the applicant by our attorney Immediately.

{5} Applicant who is unable to meet with the repayment will be given 4 weeks more as a grace period before legal actions will be taken.

{6} I agree that the funds will be used judiciously for the said Purpose and not in any way be used for aiding terrorism, drug Trafficking, laundering etc and other actions / acts that are Forbidden by the laws of United Nations.

{7} That I make this agreement in sound mind knowing the implications.

{8} The borrower is going to bear the cost of the loan registration fee of $1300

which will be paid as a down payment to enable Loan transaction to be legal for transfer.

If you are in agreement with the loan terms and condition attach your ID for further processing of your loan.

8Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Alex BekezaBusiness Member
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

There is really no need to waste time doing due diligence on a private lender hitting you up online offering 5% interest on a hard money style loan.  It's a scam 110% of the time.  I'm not really doing any facebook marketing anymore because it is infested with fake lenders and I don't even like showing up in the same arena as them.  

Even if you were the most qualified house flipper (50 + flips in the last 2  years, 800 FICO, $10 million Net Worth) you're not going to see rates or origination that low. 

Thanks for sharing this and hopefully some of these sites (BP included) get better and better at pulling these weeds out of the garden before they do any damage. 

All the best, 

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 86 votes
    7y

    @RodneyBuford Thanks for this information. I received an email from our local Meetup here in Oklahoma City a few days ago. I emailed asking for someone to call me to discuss their loan options. I received an email response with a loan application to be completed before terms could be shared. I wasn't as brave as you, so I didn't complete the form. 

    Sounds like you send $1,300 and hope they fund your loan? I wouldn't hold my breath!

  • Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Mark Waldrip Fortunately I didn't send any money, I was skeptical from the beginning.  Once I asked to meetup in person to get to know them they went silent.  The loan application revealed some of my information but nothing that they can do anything with.  Live & Learn!!!!  Do you dudiligence always!!!!

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Rodney, yesterday I received a very similar message from this guy in the St. Louis REIA group that I am a part of. You received significantly more information that me. I asked for a term sheet and the response was "we do loans 1-5 years." Thanks for posting this.

    -Zach

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Rodney Buford you have a misunderstanding of what that IP address represents. That IP address is a Google e-mail server. Thousands of e-mail addresses go through a single server / IP address. Of course some scammers use Gmail, but there is also millions of legitimate users. Google routes through many different IP addresses. I checked the IP on one of my e-mails and it is a also Google server in Kansas City. There is reports of PayPal scams - not me, but one of the many other people going through that server. Google seems to be routing their midwest e-mail through a Kansas City data center. 

    Them not taking a meeting isn't really strong evidence to claim scam. Accusing people wrongly is pretty serious. I can take this thread down if you want me to.

    I agree on due diligence, just using the right methods to verify.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @rodneybuford

    Thanks a million for the information. He has posted in a Pa meetup group.

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This "lender" or "fake profile" was just posted on Meetup.com in Vancouver, BC, Canada. This individual just joined Meetup today and posted an offer to lend at 5%. This triggered emails to be sent out to all members of the Meetup group. He gives a generic email address i.e. not associated with any lender website, but instead just a gmail account. The intent of this scam is likely to get personal information including financial information. Watch out for identity theft. If you have provided any information consider calling Equifax or equivalent to get information on what to do

    This is the message which this "profile" posted on  Meetup in Vancouver, BC, Canada:

    Michael Treat Larry
    Hey , I fund all types of loan at 5% interest rate. if you are interested contact me at michaeltreatloanservice@           
  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Note: I  *SUSPECT* that this is a scam. Maybe he is a really nice person with lots of money to lend. But then I would think he could earn more on his money than just 5%. I note in Rodney's post of the agreement and in the message sent to Meetup members in Vancouver, BC, Canada from this "Michael Treat Larry" that there are English mistakes. This can be a warning sign. Another hint is the geographical market this individual is targeting: two countries in North America so far. As Joe has implied this could be a legitimate person who is completely honest. The intent of posting is to caution everyone to keep their personal information and financial information secure. Be careful.

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hey guys this information was super helpful. Was in talks with them and they even had some references! Do some due dilligence on lenders. Thanks 

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Jeremy, did he or they seem legitimate or not?

  • Northern Chicago · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Rodney Buford he also posted in a Chicago meetup group. I’m actually doubting he’s a real person and is more so an alias for an organization

  • Alex BekezaBusiness Member
    Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    There is really no need to waste time doing due diligence on a private lender hitting you up online offering 5% interest on a hard money style loan.  It's a scam 110% of the time.  I'm not really doing any facebook marketing anymore because it is infested with fake lenders and I don't even like showing up in the same arena as them.  

    Even if you were the most qualified house flipper (50 + flips in the last 2  years, 800 FICO, $10 million Net Worth) you're not going to see rates or origination that low. 

    Thanks for sharing this and hopefully some of these sites (BP included) get better and better at pulling these weeds out of the garden before they do any damage. 

    All the best, 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    AS @Alex Bekeza   says these guys prey on those who simply do not know what they do not know and here is WHAT to know.

    THERE IS NO PRIVATE MONEY AT 5% period unless its a direct relative or friend you know.. and NO one advertising lending money is a private lender.. Private lenders dont advertise dont put their names on lists etc. 

    I know BP is loaded with beginners but PLEEESE read the verbiage its like a 5 th grader wrote it.. those are not sentences a real lender would write its like from a 9th grader..  NO lender points out you need to be 18 .. thats a given ..  they are playing to a very novice first time borrower audience who thinks they got some great deal.

    But good job recognizing that..

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Bekeza  plus prime rate is at 5.5%  LOL.. no one is going to lend for less than the nations very best borrowers get we enjoy 1 over prime.. from our banks thats as good as it gets folks..

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 340 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    If you want to check out a lender, I'd check in public records.  KS and MO around the Kansas City-MSA don't have the best online searches albeit (last I checked in 2016 or so).  

  • Real Estate Agent · Houma, LA · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    @Rodney Buford He apparently is rolling out his scam across the country. He has recently joined a lot of the groups in South Louisiana, claiming to be from New Orleans, posting in Baton Rouge, Houma, & Slidell REI groups.

    Obviously a scam.

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Anyone who sees this individual’s lender offer posted on a website, please send the website owner information on our suspicions.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Rodney Buford yup he just popped up on a Boulder meetup, but as “Michael Larry” with a “michael treat lending” email address.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Rodney Buford the meetup site took it down almost immediately

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sharon W.:

    Note: I  *SUSPECT* that this is a scam. Maybe he is a really nice person with lots of money to lend. But then I would think he could earn more on his money than just 5%. I note in Rodney's post of the agreement and in the message sent to Meetup members in Vancouver, BC, Canada from this "Michael Treat Larry" that there are English mistakes. This can be a warning sign. Another hint is the geographical market this individual is targeting: two countries in North America so far. As Joe has implied this could be a legitimate person who is completely honest. The intent of posting is to caution everyone to keep their personal information and financial information secure. Be careful.

     Sharon the guys is a crook there are hundreds of people basically copy and pasting the exact same postings.. they just try to beat you out of your application fee in this instance 1,300 then they will try to get a little more then go dark.. its a SCAM there is no maybe they are a nice person.. they are crooks scum slimeball theives thats all they are.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:

    @Rodney Buford the meetup site took it down almost immediately

    Steve i had one last week that hit me on PM here on BP  i said i needed an 800k loans after about 3 back and forths low and behold i was approved only needed to send in the 3% deposit = 24k..  LOL.

    he had a fake linkdin showing him in san deigo and i said Hey  I happen to be in Vegas I can fly over and meet you..  he said OH well i am in NYC for the next 2 weeks.. I said amazing  I have a trip to NYC on Monday when can we meet.. then another BS excuse but he really wanted that 24k.  I said OK  I will send it too you WU  he says WU only goes to 3k..  I said how would U know that i dont know how much they do..  He tried hard for 2 days as we went back and forth.. when i said OK when your back in San Deigo I will send my  plane for you so you can come to vegas to meet me.. at that point he told me to F off   LOL

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    7y

    One of the reasons on our groups we do not allow the posting of loans or offers for loans unless you are known member of our organization.

    And over the years I have run into lenders that for a fee can find someone to loan you money.  A great way for them to make money, they just get you to pay them and fill out a form and then they shop your loan with a bunch of lenders who may or may not lend you money.

    There are tons of legitimate lenders at your local groups, talk to them.  

    Don't pay someone to find you a loan.

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    there is an increase of lending scams going on because there is an increase of beginners who are willing to borrow money without really knowing what they are doing. 

    It's capitalism 101, there is demand, asymmetric information, and in many cases mania. 

    Try making friends with some people in lending so you don't have to waste time even wondering about these people. As @Jay Hinrichs said most of these scams are super easy to spot if you just think about it or take some time to learn how banks and lenders operate. 

    If you're new, you're high risk. 5% isn't in the realm of possibility. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    there is an increase of lending scams going on because there is an increase of beginners who are willing to borrow money without really knowing what they are doing. 

    It's capitalism 101, there is demand, asymmetric information, and in many cases mania. 

    Try making friends with some people in lending so you don't have to waste time even wondering about these people. As @Jay Hinrichs said most of these scams are super easy to spot if you just think about it or take some time to learn how banks and lenders operate. 

    If you're new, you're high risk. 5% isn't in the realm of possibility. 

    even if your not the only 5% money is for long term rates through banks or fannie Freddie stuff..   core vest and those portfolio lenders I have not check on lately probably high 5s to 6 and those are full blown underwriting situations 

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Alexander Felice:

    there is an increase of lending scams going on because there is an increase of beginners who are willing to borrow money without really knowing what they are doing. 

    It's capitalism 101, there is demand, asymmetric information, and in many cases mania. 

    Try making friends with some people in lending so you don't have to waste time even wondering about these people. As @Jay Hinrichs said most of these scams are super easy to spot if you just think about it or take some time to learn how banks and lenders operate. 

    If you're new, you're high risk. 5% isn't in the realm of possibility. 

    even if your not the only 5% money is for long term rates through banks or fannie Freddie stuff..   core vest and those portfolio lenders I have not check on lately probably high 5s to 6 and those are full blown underwriting situations 

     I knew you would retort me Jay!  I was agreeing with you, obviously there are exceptions (I'm about to close on a 5% loan) but your comment that 5% is a scam is accurate. 

    if someone is offering 5% right now, it's on a deal that has been worked through to mitigate lots of risks and it'll be on a long term loan. 

    If you saw it advertised on facebook, it's a con. 

    if it's 5% on private money or it's non-collateralized then it's egregious and laughable nonsense. 

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    In response to Jay Hinrichs message to me: Jay, I alerted Meetup.com immediately after receiving the email which “Michael Treat Larry” triggered by posting to a real estate Meetup.com group’s discussion board. It is a red flag when someone joins meetup groups and on the very same day causes emails to be sent out to large groups of people. When the “individual” puts his email address in the message so that responses won’t go through Meetup.com, that’s another red flag. I alerted “abuse at meetup dot com” as soon as I received the email and after I checked “Michael Treat Larry”s profile and some of his Meetup groups.

    Jay, I qualified my original post since I respected Joe Splitrock’s (moderator’s) sage advice.

    Note: In Canada one can get approximate mortgage rates of 3 or 3.5%. “B” Lenders (i.e. not the main Canadian banks) might charge 4.4%. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.