Sooo... before I invest...

Sooo... before I invest...

Flipper/Rehabber · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 7 votes

So my wife and I engaged in a pretty heated conversation. My wife is amazing, but we are simply wired differently. My wife is totally ok with punching a clock Monday through Friday, the slow grow of a 401k, and possibly being miserable at a job if it means security. I have the same goal of security, however, a different approach towards it. To a person like me, investing in real estate makes great sense and is a calculated risk. To a person like her, all she can see is the risk. 

Please advise... I understand that taking on rehab investments comes with risk. I have no cash flow yet thus any project I take on will be on loaned money. I imagine that a few of the obvious risks with doing fix and flips is:

  • There is a delay in the rehab and it starts to eat into profit margin, or possibly even into the negative
  • The house doesn't sell as soon as expected or in the allotted amount of time
  • The rehab is finished and the appraiser low balls you upon the house being purchased thus effecting your end profit 

Here are my questions:

  1. What are other, if any, risks in fix and flipping?
  2. Let's say everything goes to hell and all the cushion you left/calculated for yourself for holding costs etc. is exhausts? Like, let's say you calculated 6 months, but after 8 months the house still doesn't sell and you can no longer make the payments to hold the property, what happens then?
  3. Will the lender put a lean on the now renovated house?
  4. And last, I want to ease my wife's mind, in order to do that I need to know and understand how to protect my personal finances and assets from being involved? Will an LLC protect my family and our home? Do I need to put our home and finances in a trust? I guess I'm asking how do I protect us from a failed project?

Thank you anyone who takes time to read and respond to this.

1Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Hi Matt, let me answer your questions first:

  1. What are other, if any, risks in fix and flipping?
    - Rehab costs can run higher than expected, accidents happen (property damage or personal injury) and you have inadequate insurance, operating on bad information (property in wrong neighborhood), or financing partner pulls funding. Basically - there are a lot of risks, when flipping you're running a business so you have all the risks associated with home ownership + those of running a business.  
  2. Let's say everything goes to hell and all the cushion you left/calculated for yourself for holding costs etc. is exhausts? Like, let's say you calculated 6 months, but after 8 months the house still doesn't sell and you can no longer make the payments to hold the property, what happens then?
    - The bank can foreclose and take the property - but worst case scenario - you can overcome this by renting out the property and collecting rent that is greater than the payments + carrying costs, assuming you did the analysis on this and market rents are higher than carrying. 
  3. Will the lender put a lean on the now renovated house?
    - sure they will do what needs to happen to get their money back
  4. And last, I want to ease my wife's mind, in order to do that I need to know and understand how to protect my personal finances and assets from being involved? Will an LLC protect my family and our home? Do I need to put our home and finances in a trust? I guess I'm asking how do I protect us from a failed project?
    - I am not a lawyer or CPA - but I use my LLC's to protect my finances from liability claims (someone gets injured on your property and sues the LLC), plus there are some tax benefits. When just starting out your LLC does not have any credibility and inadequate capital. Most banks will probably need you to personally guarantee the loan, which will keep your personal finances entangled with the flips. Once you're up and running and the LLC has adequate capital and experience you can get out of personally guaranteeing the loans.

All this being said - real estate, in my opinion, is the best way to build long term wealth. You can mitigate all of these risks through educating yourself and by building a strong experienced team. You can network with experienced flippers in the area and get hands on experience which will help you avoid some of the early mistakes. Also take on easy projects in areas you know well to start, and have more than 1 exit strategy for every flip you take on. Avoid taking on properties that need plumbing or electrical updates since those require permits and licenses and in my experience ALWAYS run over budget. Stick to properties where all you need to do is replace the floors, and clean up/update the kitchen and baths. You want to be able to buy, fix, and put on the market within 90 days if possible. This will reduce your risk of market changes. 

It sounds like you're wife is skeptical which is natural for most people. Try keep this in mind and get her involved anyway you can. My wife dislikes rental properties but she knows they're key to our long term wealth. I found out she enjoys seeing properties after a major rehab and takes pride in knowing we're providing nice, clean, and safe accommodations for our community. So I make it a point to bring her to the apartments after we turn them over and have just completed major updates. Find something your wife likes about the experience, besides the money, and make sure to highlight that every chance you get. You'll need her on your team if you want to have long term success. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, DE · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Nixon have her listen to a few bigger pockets podcasts. The success stories are extremely inspiring. It would be shocking if her opinion didn’t shift in the slightest after hearing everyone’s success. The podcasts feel personal since you can see their faces and hear their voices tell talk about their journey. Try to introduce her to what got you into real estate investing & use your network as support. Maybe that means the podcasts, posting all her concerns on the forums for other investors to discuss with her, or just getting excited watching HGTV. But find a source of inspiration she can go to when she gets anxious about the idea. It’s all free!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Katlyn McMasters

    Yeah she not hearing it from me. Lol, only thing she even tipped an ear to was opportunity zones

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Daniel Townsend. It ain't nothing but a party baby. We bought are first place for 20,000 back win the ticket was good 19 99 Prince sing that song. We made $65,000 we thought we was getting ready to be game Buster's on our way to the sunny beaches of the boogeyman. Then everything turned around. We took a risk and we came out a head but for the next fifteen years we learned from the smallest to the tallest real estate is great and it's also a son of a b****. Excuse my English. Do your research learn how to work be honest learn how to work yeah and learn how to network with knowledge. It ain't nothing but a come up

  • Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Don't take out a loan to do this if the wife isn't on board. This effects her as well. Try putting some numbers on paper and actually show her the potential as opposed to having heated discussions about it. 

    Never forget both of you invested the rest of your lives in each other when you said "I do." She is your #1 priority. 

    My wife wasn't on board at first. I showed her the numbers, kept talking to her about it over 2-3 years. She finally agreed to buying a house. We now own several houses and she LOVES it. She's into it as much as I am, but I respected her and waited until she was on board with it. I didn't push or get in to heated discussions about it. 

    Couldn't imagine the stress of trying to get started with Real Estate and straining my marriage at the same time.

    Best of luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2019 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Derrick E.- Man you are 100% on the money there. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Winona, MN · Member since 2018 · 87 posts · 90 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Nixon, my husband was really negative about real estate before my first deal too... but once he saw me execute a solid deal and secure a desirable tenant, his mind changed and he sees the light! Whatever you decide to do, make sure your first endeavor is a WIN that even she will be able to see... and she’ll slowly get on board.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Vernon, IN · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 192 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Nixon I would advise you not to flip when you are starting out. Flipping holds a lot of risk and really isn't that profitable for a lot of people unless everything goes perfectly, which it never does.

    Your wife has a lower risk tolerance so make sure to account for that when investing because you guys are a team and need to find middle ground.

    For your first deal buy a single family home or duplex that just needs some cosmetic upgrades like paint and flooring. Make sure the roof and hvac is in good shape. Make sure you get a really good deal when you buy so you start with some easy equity.

    Since your wife has a lower risk tolerance pay 40-50% down to lower the risk and increase the cash flow renting it out long term. Put the numbers in a BP rental property calculator and show her the numbers.

    Use a few small rentals as a proof of concept and to hone in your landlord skills, systems, and to get a team in place. Then if she is confident at that point you can scale up.

    I've seen a lot of people jump straight into flipping and go bankrupt. Flipping is a risky way to invest in real estate, I understand your wifes concern.

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, DE · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Nixon ehh. Try capitalizing on it! Do your best.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.