NOT going to college, what should I do?

NOT going to college, what should I do?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes

Greetings BP,

I’m 17 years old rookie investor. I got into real estate almost a year ago, I’ve read the classics (Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Think and Grow Rich; Richest man in Babylon) and many other more real estate specific books. I devoutly listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, while I work as a home construction repair guy. And now I’ve accumulated a little over $2,000 up to this point.

But, that is my problem. I’m sick at this point and not entirely sure of the next best step.

My opinion on college is that it would kind of be a waste of time and money. I think about all I could do with four years and $40,000+ dollars to invest. Also, I believe with the extra time I could spend more time getting the right kind of education ( real estate investing).

But, I still don’t know of the best opportunities outside of college. There are trades like plumbing/ electrical; and also beneficial jobs like a salesman or real estate agent. I’d want to move from Denver, to possibly a more cash flow friendly market like Indianapolis or Kansas City. I’m curious to hear what would be the suggested path, and what has working for you guys. I’m grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

15Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Springfield VA · Member since 2018 · 479 posts · 400 votes
7y

@Josiah Patrick Zebarth I'm going to give you a different perspective.

I understand you might be tired of school but you are also 18. If my only option would have been to go to college in the states I would have not gone either. However, I had the chance to study in Europe. I paid $1800 for my whole education as elementary school teacher. I then transfered my degree to the us system for $200 and every school accepted without any problem.

My suggestion, consider trying college in Europe for at least one year.

Perks

- Travel

- Learn a language

- Meet a different bunch of people

- Party it hard

If after a year it doesn't work, follow another path.

In countries like Malta, Spain, Portugal among others you can live in cool cities for $300 a month. They have English programs.

I know international students pay a bit more but not that much, just make sure is an official degree and you'll be fine.

If it works, you will have a back up degree and stories to tell for the rest of your life.

I don't know man, making money and adulting fast is good but I wouldn't change those years of my life for nothing.

What do you have to lose?

See this reply in the discussion

103 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Knowledge is not power .. applied knowledge is power . I know this much : All the education in the world is of no value if it’s not being applied ! Find your niche and master it . Really master it ,Eat breathe and sleep with it every day . In my world that’s real estate

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    7y

    I always thought calling a W-2 job a career was like a car salesman referring to a new Honda Civic as an Investment. Just word play. When I was a cop, one of our favorite lines was "for your safety and mine"..... usually followed with I need you to step out on this porch. You know what happens next right?

    I am sure there are some out there. but I do not know of one affluent person who claims there college education was responsible for setting them financially free. Not one. 

    If a house can be purchased for about half of it's ARV, buy it. Learn to fix any issues you find. Get it done. Guess what, you just make an annual salary in a couple months. If you want you can even use the proceeds to pay of that silly student loan.

    I think it is great that people go to school and take these "career paths", if not there would be no one to fill our cavities etc. But most of them are waiting for the government to tell them they are old enough to stay home. Usually 65 or so. and Care homes are full of educated people who  on Medicaid (others) to pay for care expenses. I think you can learn a lot from there choices. 

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lorenzo Garza:

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth start wholesaling houses on the with no money down. Then use your accumulated savings and invest it in a beginner asset for the passive income, in all cash. Rinse and repeat until you’re out of the rat race, and continue to scale to prosper.

    Great advice. Do you have any link or specific webinar here for someone wanting to learn more?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.