NOT going to college, what should I do?

NOT going to college, what should I do?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes

Greetings BP,

I’m 17 years old rookie investor. I got into real estate almost a year ago, I’ve read the classics (Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Think and Grow Rich; Richest man in Babylon) and many other more real estate specific books. I devoutly listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, while I work as a home construction repair guy. And now I’ve accumulated a little over $2,000 up to this point.

But, that is my problem. I’m sick at this point and not entirely sure of the next best step.

My opinion on college is that it would kind of be a waste of time and money. I think about all I could do with four years and $40,000+ dollars to invest. Also, I believe with the extra time I could spend more time getting the right kind of education ( real estate investing).

But, I still don’t know of the best opportunities outside of college. There are trades like plumbing/ electrical; and also beneficial jobs like a salesman or real estate agent. I’d want to move from Denver, to possibly a more cash flow friendly market like Indianapolis or Kansas City. I’m curious to hear what would be the suggested path, and what has working for you guys. I’m grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

15Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Springfield VA · Member since 2018 · 480 posts · 400 votes
7y

@Josiah Patrick Zebarth I'm going to give you a different perspective.

I understand you might be tired of school but you are also 18. If my only option would have been to go to college in the states I would have not gone either. However, I had the chance to study in Europe. I paid $1800 for my whole education as elementary school teacher. I then transfered my degree to the us system for $200 and every school accepted without any problem.

My suggestion, consider trying college in Europe for at least one year.

Perks

- Travel

- Learn a language

- Meet a different bunch of people

- Party it hard

If after a year it doesn't work, follow another path.

In countries like Malta, Spain, Portugal among others you can live in cool cities for $300 a month. They have English programs.

I know international students pay a bit more but not that much, just make sure is an official degree and you'll be fine.

If it works, you will have a back up degree and stories to tell for the rest of your life.

I don't know man, making money and adulting fast is good but I wouldn't change those years of my life for nothing.

What do you have to lose?

See this reply in the discussion

103 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I was in a similar position and I jumped in door to door sales position for a cable/ internet/ home security company. It changed my life for the better, I started making a lot of money really fast to invest with and I needed to get better at talking with people anyway! Pest control and solar panels can also be very lucrative door to door . Check it out - Door to door millionaire is a pretty good book you can find on audible- @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

  • Realtor · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 244 posts · 275 votes
    7y

    I took a year off after high school on deferred admission. Decided I wasn't quite ready for school yet and my 1 year deferred admission turned into 9 years. During those 9 years I made about every mistake you can make. I was having fun, but I was also completely lost. I was always the youngest one anywhere I went, often by 10 or 20 years, and to be frank I was probably annoying as *(&! to the people I was working with. 

    Here's what I haven't seen anyone talking about on this thread. When you're 17-22, you need to be around other people your own age. Being the youngest person everywhere I went, being treated like a kid all the time, that had an impact on me that lasted for years. No one talks about it, but I suspect that's one big reason we push our young people into military service or college (or if you go into the trades, an apprenticeship program). It's because there are a few years where you are old enough to make it on your own and be out of your parents' house, but still figuring stuff out. 

    Yes, you CAN be successful in life without college or the military. But there is a major social aspect to those years in life that you will be missing out on. And I can tell you that going back to college just a few years after that window in time is not at all the same. You only get one chance at those years. Much of what you get out of college is tied to the social part of it. You're surrounded by other people roughly your own age. They're doing amazing things, and they're willing to invite you to do those things. There's a pool of people for you to date. You are in a safe place to experiment with life (change your major? no problem. Break up with a girlfriend? It happens. Get too drunk? It's tolerated, because you're learning. etc., etc.). That, more than anything, is what you miss out on by not spending time in a place with people your own age.

    So as a guy who once sat in your shoes, here's what I wish I had done differently. I wish I had taken only 1 or 2 years off instead of 9, so that I would have gotten that social aspect which is such an important part of school. I wish I had gone to school in a really inexpensive place to live and gone to a really inexpensive school and taken out way fewer loans. I wish I had bought a house near campus and rented it to my buddies and lived rent free or even made a small profit while building equity and learning how to be a landlord/homeowner. I wish I had studied computer science, because it pays so much better than what I do now and would have launched me into an income category where I could get started in real estate years earlier.

    But here's what I don't regret. I don't regret taking time off between school and college, I just didn't need quite that much time. I don't regret going to school, even though it left me in debt and I never really got to work in my field. Even being the old man at school, I still made lifelong friends and met my wife, and that alone is worth the student loan payment. And yes, I took on debt, but I went from making $16/hour with no benefits doing manual labor before college to $100k/year with amazing benefits sitting in an air conditioned office after college, and that put me in a position to get started in real estate. The boost in income and quality of life more than makes up for the loans. And I don't regret walking out of a Navy recruiter's office when I was 17, since I turned out to be way too independent and contrarian for the military.

    So it's just my 2c, but don't rule out college entirely. Take a year or two off after high school if you want. But there's more to college than just career prep. There's a huge value to being encouraged to learn and experiment and surrounding yourself with other fun, interesting people your own age. Find a way to make college affordable by thinking creatively (foreign schools, cheap state schools, landlording during school, etc.). But you've got the entire rest of your life to make money. You only get to be in your late teens/early 20s once.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth  " Give me guys that are poor smart and hungry vs an Harvard Grad any day " GK . Find your passion and get to work

    Good luck 

  • Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth I’m 16 and I’m in a situation kind of like yours. I’m more than likely not going to college, I was planning on working for a local RE Investing company so that I can gain some experience before diving in, but my mom said she would help me with the funding to flip a small house. Although my main goal is to own rentals. So yeah either way I’m gonna be gaining experience and knowledge.

    But it just all depends on what you want to to, because for some jobs, going to college is worth it, but for what I want to do, I don’t think it’s worth the money, I also am planning on getting my RE License, just because I love all things real estate, good luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    As far as the networking in college. Forget it. You can network anywhere at anytime. You just have to be willing to chase the people you want to network. I’m good at networking. If I wanted to network with college people I would chase them without paying the money to be in college.

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 98 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Some people have said you should do what you love, and others have said you should do whatever you can to make money for real estate investment. I'd like to re-frame both these pieces of advice to be compatible with each other - whatever you do, think about why you are doing it and what your goal is.

    For example, during my 20's I worked in a very highly paid career that I didn't like, because I had a goal to accumulate cash flowing properties and set myself and my family up financially before the age of 30. At 30, I made a career change to a field that is very low paid but that I absolutely love, and now I look forward to going to work every day, and I don't have the same financial worries that many of my colleagues have because I have my real estate stuff on the side.

    I'm not saying you have to do things that way, but just that figuring out what path to take is easier when you know your goal and why you're getting up and going to work every day, whether you like your job or not. 

  • Specialist · Strongsville, OH · Member since 2016 · 303 posts · 217 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Step 1:

    Join the military with a focus on learning a trade like electrician or plumbing. Make sure you qualify for GIBill or whatever it’s called so if you decide to go to college Uncle Sam lays for it.

    If you ever do any state or Govt bids veterans get preference.

    Side Note: stack cash, avoid all debt, drive an older car, don’t rack up huge bar bills partying)

    Step 2: Retire in 4 or so years and become a fireman. Vets get preference for hiring in these types of jobs. Firemen work a lot of 4 days on 3 or 4 days off kind of schedule giving you time for side hustles.

    You can combine your military and fire Dept job time towards a fully funded retirement and usually FULL PAID benefits. (I can’t stress how important the benefits are as you age!)

    ***add the years up and you might be eligible for full govt paid retirement by age 50 or 55.

    Step 3: I don’t know a fireman that doesn’t have a side hustle like real estate or trade of some sort. Having trade experience from the military will be very valuable at this point.

    Step 4: Use your VA benefits to buy a duplex live in half and rent the other side. Then rinse & repeat buying more and more multi fam properties.

    When you’re 35 or 45 years old you’ll have the boat, big boy toys, the big house, and live a life your friends who went to college won’t be able to comprehend.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    7y
    It sounds like you have a lot of home repair experience and you're very young compared to most real estate investors, so that's great news! If I were you, I might look for a job that pays more right now with the experience you have. As others have mentioned, there are likely contractors/subs around Denver that need a lot of help. Learn a trade that's in high demand, start to save a litte more money, and then try to find a house that you can make a low down payment on (FHA at 3.5%, home possible at 5%, or even a 203k loan to get the rehab costs financed) and fix it up while you live there. If you could save up some more money, making a small down payment is a great way to get into your first house, but most of the low down payment options are going to be for owner-occupied places. I think you could make a nice amount of money if you bought a place that needed some work and did that at night/on weekends. Then, either sell it, or do the BRRRR method and move onto the next property. Having that home repair experience is a huge benefit, and not being 30k in debt like most 22-23 year olds are is going to be awesome for you. You should easily be able to get to 30k in equity in your first place by the time you're 22-23. Study the neighborhood you want to be in, find a realtor that works hard for you and dive in head first!
  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 994 posts · 783 votes
    7y

    Have you thought about property management?  You could get an entry level job and work your way up.  I would recommend some business classes- marketing & Sales, basic accounting, customer service, and fair housing (real estate class).  You could own your own company one day and do great. The sky is the limit.  Best of luck to you. 

  • Realtor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    i would certainly sack the college idea.

    Learn a trade. Work under a developer and learn what they do whilst saving hard. You have so much time ahead of you.

    I would do the above, learn from others on site and find some deals at the same time, target your market and learn the full costs involved. I have worked as a realtor for years and anyone can learn the end value and the value you should buy at. The hard part is managing a team and understanding the cost. You will be able to it all my friend.

    Good luck and go smash it ! 👊👊

  • Realtor · IN · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth I’m 21 years old and extremely happy I didn’t go to college. College was never for me and I just pictured myself failing because I didn’t have the discipline for it. Anyways I don’t think college is necessary if you’re trying to become successful through real estate investing. There are many tools on the internet to help teach & guide you with real estate. If I were you I would find a decent job that you enjoy & work until you have enough as a down payment on a rental property. Partners can always help too.

  • Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Hey Josiah! So proud of you for starting to acquire knowledge and strategize so young! Keep it up!!

    My hubby and I live in the Midwest (MI) and we also invest here.

    We own a duplex (bought for $40,000 last July). We BRRRd it into our first flip and will list that property for sale next wk.

    The Midwest is an awesome place to live and invest for serious cash flow.

    It’s also an awesome place to work in the trades while growing your savings. Lots of good paying work up here in fields like plumbing, asbestos removal, etc.

    Highly recommend it;) Let me know if you end up moving to the Mitten and I’ll be happy to give you some recommendations!

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 160 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth Honestly don’t ever doubt yourself. If this is the path you choose, then do it with conviction. All the best you are doing to do great!!!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Hey Josh,

    I recently graduated college 3 years ago and without diving in on the pros and cons argument, I would say a college degree would cost more than 40k depending on scholarships. In my experience most jobs want you to join in on the bottom to mid tier of a slow career ride to the top. So if you already know that slow growth ladder isn’t for you, then I wouldn’t suggest it.

    For the time being I think it would be a great tool for your experience belt to get a sales job with an industrial supply company that uses sales reps. (I worked with one for 3 years) It was a great way for me to meet contractors, learn the true cost of products, and to be able to see how the market you’re in ebbs and flows. Meanwhile you’re learning sales, how to talk to people, and are working a job with commissions. Therefore in the end you can make as much money as you push yourself to make.

    If you’re already doubting the college degree then I wouldn’t jump into one half hearted. Take your time and weigh out your options to decide if it’s really for you. Let me know if you have any questions about my experience. I’d love to answer.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Become a plumber

  • Real Estate Agent · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth College May not be for everybody but knowledge is power. From a gig that went to college and does NOT work in a field related to his major-I recommend going to do something you aren’t good at but applies to a wide variety of life. If I could do it over again I would probably learn more about finances and business-those things are everywhere.

    You could always look into the military-even if it was as a reservist-opens you up to a paycheck, benefits, and network that is unlike any other my friend.

    And-this won’t be the only crossroads in your life-You could read any of the Gaines’ books and see how the toughest of times create the most unique rewards. Just keep going!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth it’s not all about money-having a degree shows that you can dedicate yourself to a 3-4 year goal; organize your priorities; and manage your time. So many intangible things to show from having certificates or degrees!!

  • Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth, been there... I did 2 years of college then joined the Airforce. I'm still in and happy about my decision for a few reason. The biggest is Airforce gave me guidance,direction,and education and now that I have started investing in real estate I am taking advantage of the VA home loan to start my journey. Best of luck with your decision!

  • Specialist · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 83 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    People that went to school trying to convince to to go talk BS, they’re just trying to justify the mistake and time they wasted.

    I would not recommend going to school, it is a waste of 3 years, money and student loans.

    Work, save up some money, improve your credit and go into real estate.

    Good luck

  • Developer · NY/NJ/PA · Member since 2018 · 758 posts · 935 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mario Am:

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    People that went to school trying to convince to to go talk BS, they’re just trying to justify the mistake and time they wasted.

    I would not recommend going to school, it is a waste of 3 years, money and student loans.

    Work, save up some money, improve your credit and go into real estate.

    Good luck

    Work and save what money? Save the $15/hour he makes at McDonald’s? 

    I don’t need to “justify” my degrees. The hundreds of thousands I’ve spent on school has paid me back more than I could have imagined. 

    There are many more people making $100k+ in this country with college degrees than without. The few non-college degree successes are the exception not the norm. 

    Most solid career paths require some sort of trade school or college. IMO, go to a trade school OP. 


  • Anaheim, CA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth I’m sure you’ve heard it many times before but I’d suggest doing whatever it takes to get the first rental property. Focus on saving x amount every month that would hit a target of say $10k in an amount of time you think is doable! Cut your costs such as don’t spend much money eating out or buy an expensive car. Once you have momentum just roll with it!

  • Developer · Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    agent/ investor for the win. For sure get your RE license ASAP. My biggest regret not getting mine at a young age, but now my wife is licensed so im all good, ha!

  • Financial Advisor · CA · Member since 2012 · 128 posts · 76 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Trevor Emmett:

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth if you are interested in real estate get your real estate license and work as an assistant to top producer. Work two years with a steady paycheck and buy a house as a realtor, get paid 2.5% to buy your house, get seller to pay for closing costs and rent out the other rooms to your friends and have fun!

    Also start building your credit now!

    Being a realtor teaches you systems, marketing, sales, networking, grit, failure, success, time management, negotiations, valuing real estate and how to take rejection. If you hate being a realtor you can quite and have a real education in business. You are young and can shift to another profession at anytime.

    Good luck friend! You are on the right path and be patient with your self.

     One way to get him to hate real estate is to become an agent.  

  • Developer · Bend, OR · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @James Wise @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    As I mentioned in a previous post and as @james wise said you should strongly consider getting your brokers license, and looking into what it takes to start your own brokerage. If you want to make money in Realestate having a license will help you tremendously. Straight up, You are going to need the commissions if you want to fund your deals, plus the knowledge is priceless.

    In my opinion, You will have a much Lower chance of success working a job outside of Realestate trying to save money to buy deals.

    It only took a 20 min phone call talking to James for me to know that somebody in my immediate family needed their license ASAP.

    My wife just got her license and has 2 random buyers under contract in the first couple weeks and will be listing one of our properties pretty soon as well so it’s already paid for its self and making money the first month.

    Btw thanks for the suggestion @jameswise lol

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jesse Bath:

    @James Wise @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    As I mentioned in a previous post and as @james wise said you should strongly consider getting your brokers license, and looking into what it takes to start your own brokerage. If you want to make money in Realestate having a license will help you tremendously. Straight up, You are going to need the commissions if you want to fund your deals, plus the knowledge is priceless.

    In my opinion, You will have a much Lower chance of success working a job outside of Realestate trying to save money to buy deals.

    It only took a 20 min phone call talking to James for me to know that somebody in my immediate family needed their license ASAP.

    My wife just got her license and has 2 random buyers under contract in the first couple weeks and will be listing one of our properties pretty soon as well so it’s already paid for its self and making money the first month.

    Btw thanks for the suggestion @jameswise lol

     That's awesome man. It's funny how when you get your license to do your own deals random money just follows. Great job out of you and your wife. Keep it up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.