Formal Introduction - Just Starting out in NC

Formal Introduction - Just Starting out in NC

Real Estate Investor · Greenville, NC · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes

Hi All,

What an awesome resource I've found in BP! I've been excited about and obsessively following my local real estate market for years, but only recently started to find the educational resources that will allow me to pursue RE as a serious full-time business. I look forward to learning even more and putting all this new knowledge into action! A little about myself...

I'm in my mid-30's, living and working in and around Greenville, NC, a mid-sized city with a large state university. My actual RE experience is as follows: I've owned three different homes, all as my primary residence. The first I bought in a new construction subdivision from a large "tract" home builder. The second was a 70's era brick ranch in which I renovated and sold. I built my current home myself (sub-contracted mostly) as an "investment". (I was planning to live in it a couple years and then sell it at a profit.) I have some preliminary landlord experience as I've had several roommate "tenants" over the past few years.

My goal in a RE investing business is to start by selling my current home and using some of the capital I've saved to buy some investment properties that I could rehab and turn quickly enough to build some additional capital over the next few years. Long-term I'm hoping to add some buy-and-hold properties that can provide more stability and value over the years.

Sorry for the long-winded introduction. I am hoping to meet and network with other investors in my area (Eastern North Carolina). I've been unable to find any local REI clubs in my area, but there's sure to be some nearby investors out of the nearly 100,000 BP members!

Thanks!

James

0Reply
17 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Columbus , OH · Member since 2010 · 311 posts · 51 votes
    14y

    James, Welcome to BP!

  • Hard Money Lender · Davidson, NC · Member since 2012 · 69 posts · 34 votes
    14y

    James Ormond, welcome to BP... while I am hard money lender based in Charlotte and lending in Charlotte and Raleigh, I was born and raised in your neck of the woods - little Washington (or as we like to call it, the Original Washington). More than happy to help you if I am able to get networked in your market. You should contact Susan Parker, who is a local realtor in Greenville. Very well connected and would be a good person for you to know. Hit me via PM and let's talk. Thanks.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    14y

    Welcome to the site James! I used to be a neighbor for you down the road in New Bern. That was our first Mobile Home Park and we really enjoyed it so got 3 more after we sold there. Learn all you can from the site as it is there for the taking.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Hey James - welcome.

    I too got my start in Greenville.

  • Real Estate Investor · Greenville, NC · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Thanks, Dale/Dave...

    Great to hear that others have started out in eastern NC. I've already started to make some contacts via BP and I'm looking forward to continuing to learn and grow.

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Hey James,

    I'm just starting out also, over in Greensboro. I have a few friends going to ECU for PA school, it's a pretty cool area. Best of luck to you!

  • Winterville, NC · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Hey James,

    I am just starting out as well and I live in Winterville. Maybe we will do business together down the road. I am not 100% set on my REI strategy yet, but I am leaning towards buying and holding multi-family homes. I currently have a full time job as a Marriage and Family Therapist with a company in Greenville. When I am able, I would like to move out of this career and into investing in real estate full time, but I expect this to take a few years.

    Good to see a local on here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.