What books have you found most helpful?

What books have you found most helpful?

New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes

Has anyone read any books that they thought to be particularly helpful? I’m pretty familiar with a lot of the bigger hitters, but would love to discover some books with less notoriety.

Thanks!

3Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared MannPro Member
St. Louis. MO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 36 votes
6y

@John Neff

You said you had read the heavy hitters, so I'll take that as rich dad and Millionaire Real Estate Investor. The most helpful book I've read so far has been Never Split the difference by Chris Voss, not real estate specific, but I applied it to REI as well as my job, and it was huge on my last offer.

See this reply in the discussion

119 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jared MannPro Member
    St. Louis. MO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    You said you had read the heavy hitters, so I'll take that as rich dad and Millionaire Real Estate Investor. The most helpful book I've read so far has been Never Split the difference by Chris Voss, not real estate specific, but I applied it to REI as well as my job, and it was huge on my last offer.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Rich Dad Poor Dad set me on my original journey.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    All the books on BP are worth reading. And I'll add "The ONE Thing" by my boss Gary Keller.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Jared Mann I just started to reread Never Split the Difference yesterday! Great suggestion.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Ian Walsh Definitely a good read! Thanks for the recommendation.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Marcus Auerbach I’ve read The Book On Rental Property Investing, but none of the others. I’ll be certain to check those out. Thanks for the recommendations.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    If your investing strategy is rental units I suggest “Cash Flow Quadrant” by Robert Kiyasoki.

    I have to read Never Split.

  • Rental Property Investor · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2018 · 974 posts · 645 votes
    6y

    If you're thinking of multifamily - Multi-Family Millions by David Lindahl, Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate - Brian Murray, Financial Freedom with Real Estate Investing - Michael Blank.

  • Investor · Denver · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    The One Thing is a great suggestion! I'd also recommend The 4 Disciplines of Execution, The Power of Habit, and How to Win Friends and Influence People. 

    None of these books are related to real estate. However, ALL of these books have lessons that you will apply to your real estate investing career! There's also the added bonus of being able to apply these lessons to every other aspect of your life! :)

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Garrett I’ll check that one out! Thanks.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Joseph Firmin I wasn’t familiar with these. I’ll be certain to check them out. Thanks for the suggestions!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @David Heisler I’ll be sure to check these out!

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 261 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    @Jared Mann Just started that one; had it on my list for a while!

    I'd second it so far.  It's not real-estate specific, like Jared said, but the author is a tough sob and it makes you really want to fight for your interests in a lot of situations.  Just can't take it too seriously or you'll never close anything

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2018 · 212 posts · 183 votes
    6y

    5 day weekend. Enjoyed it, had some new thoughts in there I hadn’t seen in the previous 30 books I’ve read this year. 

  • Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    Mark Ferguson is a great writer and investor

    - Buying Into Success

    - How to buy a rental property empire

    - how to buy a house

    Are great books and of course the bigger pocket books too helped me a lot

  • Real Estate Agent · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2020 · 494 posts · 284 votes
    6y

    @John Neff I have read a ton of real estate/ investing books, but the ones that really hit home and made an impact were "rich dad poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki, the BRRR book by bigger pockets, "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clayson, "How to make friends and influence people" by Andrew Carnegie, and "Think and grow rich" by Napolean Hill. The first two are obviously real estate related, and the other 3 are more mindset related but absolutely amazing and essential to success!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Randall Weatherall No doubt. Certainly worth the read.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Scott Anderson I’m not familiar with that one. I’ll check it out!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Victor Triana Thank you for the recommendations! I’ll look into these few.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Curtin These are all great reads! I’ll have to check out How to Win Friends & Influence People. Thanks!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    One of my personal favorites is "How to Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.

    It is by far the best books for setting your mind on achieving anything. A couple others that I haven't seen mentioned are:

    - "The eMyth" by Michael Gerber

    - "The Obstacle is the Way, The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph" by Ryan Holiday

    - "The Art of the Deal" by Donald Trump

    Enjoy!

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    The Millionaire Next Door

    Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (it’s a good starter book for finances).

    Set for Life by Scott Trench (BiggerPockets)

    No and Low Money Down by Brandon Turner (BP)

    Broke Millennial

    The ONE Thing

    The Next Millionaire Next Door

    The Miracle Morning

    The Richest Man in Babylon

    The 4 Hour Work Week

    Retire Early with Real Estate

    The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    Awaken The Giant Within

    Landlording on Autopilot

    Never Split the Difference

    Lifeonaire

    Side Hustle

    I Will Teach You to be Rich

    Choose FI

    Your Money or Your Life

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Millionaire Real Estate Investor. There's an audio-book for free on Youtube, good to listen on your commute.

  • Investor · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2017 · 463 posts · 488 votes
    6y

    My favorite book of all time is "From Zero to One" by Paypal co-founder Peter Thiel. It is a business book all entrepreneurs should read. It talks about avoiding competition to win in business. Peter Thiel's concept in this book dictates how I run my company and influences how I develop my products.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    The Art of Profitability by Adrian J. Slywotzky is more of a general business book which dives into all different types of profit models. Very informative, well written, succinct, and has an interesting/memorable delivery. Would recommend it for any aspiring entrepreneur

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.