What books have you found most helpful?

What books have you found most helpful?

New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes

Has anyone read any books that they thought to be particularly helpful? I’m pretty familiar with a lot of the bigger hitters, but would love to discover some books with less notoriety.

Thanks!

3Reply
206 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared MannPro Member
St. Louis. MO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 36 votes
6y

@John Neff

You said you had read the heavy hitters, so I'll take that as rich dad and Millionaire Real Estate Investor. The most helpful book I've read so far has been Never Split the difference by Chris Voss, not real estate specific, but I applied it to REI as well as my job, and it was huge on my last offer.

See this reply in the discussion

119 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Logan Chen I’ve heard a lot of good things about The E-myth. I’ll be sure to check it out!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Wick Thanks for the recommendations!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Erika G. Awesome. I’ll check it out.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Jingwen Dunford Sounds as if it’s well worth the read. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Michael Nilsen I’m not familiar with that one. I’ll definitely look further into it. Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wales Utah · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @John Neff Hey man I really got a lot out of millionaire fast lane by MJ DeMarco!!

  • Investor · Camas, WA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    @John Neff Surprised it wasn't mentioned yet - Building Wealth One House at a Time by John Schaub.

    It's a nice reminder that a conservative approach to building a portfolio over time works just fine.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT (Lehi) · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    @John Neff “outwitting the devil” that’s a great book for overcoming your own self doubt and problems.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston TX / Tacoma WA. · Member since 2019 · 166 posts · 89 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    Secrets of the millionaire mind by T. Herv Eker

    https://youtu.be/R_rmaOxulPU YouTube audio book.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @John Neff I just read The Unteathered Soul. Not real estate related but a great book about dealing with adversity in all aspects of life past and present and how to life a happier and more fulfilled life.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 284 posts · 184 votes
    6y

    Having experience a few RE market cycles myself for the past 16yrs... I know there's never a one size fits all investing strategy.    

    I highly recommend a book I just read recently to newbies and experienced investors alike, "Recession Proof Real Estate Investing" by J. Scott.   Its an excellent book and is totally on point with what works in which part of the market cycle.

  • Investor · Central Arkansas · Member since 2018 · 109 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    Millionaire RE Investor

    The 10x Rule

    Miracle Morning

    Crushing It

    Can't Hurt Me (David Goggins)

    The Book on Rental Property Investing

    Rich Dad Poor Dad

    The 4 Disciplines of Execution

    The Richest Man in Babylon

    BRRRR

    The E Myth

    The One Thing

    Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant

    Never Eat Alone

    Deep Work

    So Good They Can't Ignore You

    Good to Great

    The War of Art

    I would like to add, if you aren't listening to The Bigger Pockets Podcast, you are missing out.  Even the older podcasts have TONS of good content to learn from.  Hearing directly from other investors that started from scratch and are in the early, mid and late stages of their investment careers is priceless!  

  • Ryan LubyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2016 · 258 posts · 227 votes
    6y

    So Good They Can't Ignore You - Cal Newport

    Thinking In Bets - Annie Duke

    Principles - Ray Dalio

    Never Split The Difference - Chris Voss

    Man's Search For Meaning - Viktor Frankl

    Tools for Titans - Tim Ferris

    Profit First - Mike Michalowicz

    Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki

    Set For Life - Scott Trench

    Spontaneous Happiness - Dr. Andrew Weil

    Atomic Habits - James Clear

    I can't think of any others but these are all books I really love. I have read each of these more than once including some I either use as a reference or reread almost yearly.

  • Realtor · Miami, Atlanta · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    The power of your subconscious mind, Think and grow rich..good reads to checkout.

  • Rental Property Investor · Collingswood, NJ · Member since 2016 · 282 posts · 116 votes
    6y

    @John Neff I’m reading Mastery right now and I’m loving it!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Hayden Smith Good stuff! I’ll check that one out.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Logan Chen Think & Grow Rich has been sitting on my shelf for ages, but I haven’t taken the time to read it. I’ll be sure to give it a read. Thanks for the recommendations!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Wick Gives me plenty of material to choose from! Thanks for all the suggestions. 

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Erika G. Audio books are the best. Thank you for the suggestion!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Travis Henry It’s certainly beneficial to become more familiar with different approaches to investing. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Matthew Fassett Sounds like something that could be really valuable. I’ll definitely look into this one. Thanks Man!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Meir Greenblatt Another one that I’ve let sit on the shelf for years! I’m more motivated to give it a read now. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Mike Horan Right on. All of which pertains to progress in both business, and life. Thank you for the recommendation!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Alvin Uy I’ve heard of this one, but haven’t taken the time to check it out yet. Sounds like it could be very beneficial. Thanks for reaching out!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Joshua Schmidt Thank you for all of the suggestions! I’ve been listening to the podcast for over a year, but never became active on BiggerPockets until very recently. So much valuable content.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.