What books have you found most helpful?

What books have you found most helpful?

New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes

Has anyone read any books that they thought to be particularly helpful? I’m pretty familiar with a lot of the bigger hitters, but would love to discover some books with less notoriety.

Thanks!

3Reply
192 views

Most Popular Reply

Jared MannPro Member
St. Louis. MO · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 36 votes
6y

@John Neff

You said you had read the heavy hitters, so I'll take that as rich dad and Millionaire Real Estate Investor. The most helpful book I've read so far has been Never Split the difference by Chris Voss, not real estate specific, but I applied it to REI as well as my job, and it was huge on my last offer.

See this reply in the discussion

119 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Ryan Luby Thank you for all the suggestions! My list keeps growing & growing.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Kwaylon Crane Right on! Thank you for your recommendations.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Kevin Zolea Glad you’re enjoying it! Added to the list!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 284 posts · 184 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Neff:

    @Alvin Uy I’ve heard of this one, but haven’t taken the time to check it out yet. Sounds like it could be very beneficial. Thanks for reaching out!

    Definitely beneficial.  Unfortunately, Most new investors are too shortsighted when starting out.  Employing the right strategies in the right time of the market cycle is crucial as a RE investor in my opinion. 

  • Investor · Central Arkansas · Member since 2018 · 109 posts · 58 votes
    6y
    No problem at all!



    Originally posted by @John Neff:

    @Joshua Schmidt Thank you for all of the suggestions! I’ve been listening to the podcast for over a year, but never became active on BiggerPockets until very recently. So much valuable content.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @John Neff NONE!! The   " book " of learning from someone actually doing deals vs reading books and going to BS seminars.  Analysis paralysis.  GO TO WORK, network, learn . NOTHING Beats " being on the street " and doing it. I have never read a book nor went to a seminar. In the last 10 years I have done it all. 

    All the best 

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Bob Prisco Great advice! I’ve certainly found this to be true in other industry’s that I’ve worked in. It’s amazing how much you pick up on while being involved in the day to day process.

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 119 posts · 151 votes
    6y

    I read Millionaire Next Door every year. It helps me to focus my priorities and avoid needless spending so I can achieve my goals. I'd love to drive around a brand new 4Runner because they look so nice, but my '06 serves me just fine and I don't care about a small ding in the back door. Because of small life choices like that and learning those things early on, it's allowed me to see that I'd rather put the money I would have spent toward a car back into investments so I could buy 10 4Runners if I wanted to (which I won't lol). It's a must read IMO and I gift it to a lot of friends of mine who have an interest in REI.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    6y

    @John Neff.  So many people spend so much time in classrooms seminars etc. I’ve never been to a seminar or read any book. I’ve got everything from short sales tax liens rent with options etc. Nothing beats real life experience. I found those that sit in classrooms and read books do nothing. All the best to you 

    Great line, give me guys that are poor smart and  hungry versus  a  Harvard grad any day

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Retire Rich with Rentals by Kathe Fettke was good. Simple and to the point. Read it on a plane.

  • Rental Property Investor · Schenectady, NY · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Ian Walsh my favorite

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    I like all of the bigger pockets books as the give you a great deal of knowledge. I recommend reading “The 4 Disciplines of Execution” by Chris McChesney. It a great read and it has helped me daily in life and business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    6y

    @John Neff rich dad poor dad, but generally read as much as you can. Information is power!

  • Realtor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2019 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    Investing in RE w/ No Money Down: Brandon Turner (solid foundations for creative financing)

    E-Myth: Michael E. Gerber (my next read, but heard plenty great things)

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @John Neff

    Set for Life, Scott Trench

    Community, Peter Block

    The Infinite Game, Simon Sinek

    Ryan Holiday Trio:

    -The Obstacle is the Way

    -Ego is the Enemy

    -Stillness is the Key

  • Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    My recommendation, though not specifically about real estate, but the philosophy definitely applies to real estate is "The Compound Effect" by Darren Hardy. Amazing book that shows how the little things we do each day make such a big difference as they accumulate. 

    Really looking forward to checking out the rest of these books as well. 

  • Ryan GoodPro Member
    Richland, PA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    I really like Retire Early with Real Estate by Chad Carson....I love reading all the stories of people that achieved their goals. 

  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor · Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 622 votes
    6y

    @John Neff “Losing my Virginity” by Richard Branson. “What? Not a real estate book” you ask...

    It’s the ultimate book in entrepreneurship. Just reading what Sir Richard Branson has done is many lessons in being a true entrepreneur. Now why is that so important? Because real estate investing is extremely entrepreneurial. I have seen many people with good credit and lots of money fail. Others with deep desire and maybe constructions or PM experience. Only the entrepreneurs succeed.

    Now can you read a book and become the topic just by reading? No. But it can lead you in the right direction. For instance, I know investors who came to terms of not being entrepreneurial but now making great money because they partnered with an entrepreneur...

    Read it - let us know what you think. I’m still blown away by Branson having read that book years ago.

  • Investor · Jericho, NY · Member since 2015 · 171 posts · 148 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by@John Neff:

    Has anyone read any books that they thought to be particularly helpful? I’m pretty familiar with a lot of the bigger hitters, but would love to discover some books with less notoriety.

    Thanks!

    Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki has been huge for me. It changed my life. So much so that I did a full episode on my podcast on it. 

    Never split the difference is a great practical book. I have to reread it like 3 more times :)

    Turning Pro is a great one by Steven Pressfield. He talks about how turning professional is your calling. Coming out of the shadow career (that you do for living) into your passion can be difficult but MUST be done.

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @John Neff If you are interested in developing partnerships, perfecting communication skills or raising capital as I am, three books are top of mind and I don't think have been mentioned:

    Raising Capital for Real Estate by Hunter Thompson

    Flip The Script and Pitch Anything by Oren Klaff

    Of course, as mentioned already "Never Split the Difference" by Chris Voss is a phenomenal book and The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner is great for a new investor.


    Finally to take back your day as all this Real Estate Investing begins to occupy all your time:

    "Own the Day" by Marcus Aubrey is a great read.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Jeff Tyndall I can certainly relate! As a fellow car enthusiast, squashing my desire to purchase a new vehicle is a battle I face almost daily. I’ll turn to this book at those times. Thanks for the suggestion!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Bob Prisco Definitely refreshing to hear a different approach. Working within an industry is such a great way of learning. Thanks again, Bob!

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Gabe Barlow Added to my list! Thanks man.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Christopher Lawrence Working my way through the BP books! Thanks for the recommendations.

  • New to Real Estate · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2020 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Dave Erickson No doubt about it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.