What to expect in a real estate meet up?

What to expect in a real estate meet up?

Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes

Hello everyone, I’m new to real estate and I really want to get to know more people before I get started. And I’m curious what to expect with a real estate meetup? 

1Reply
23 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @David Li learning and networking! Get to know your local market and the people in it.

  • Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Jordan Moorhead thank you. so is going to be me first time to go to a meetup and I’m kind of shy, so what do they talk about at the meet up? How do u approach people?

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @David Li just sit and learn to get comfortable! Used to be introverted until I just kept pushing through the barrier.

  • Rental Property Investor · Albert Lea, MN · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @David Li, I am also new to the real estate world and looking to network with other real estate professionals as well. I think going into a meet-up as a newbie is both frightening and exciting.  I think best way to approach it is going in with an open mind and with the only expectation of meeting new people.  I would say based on other professional get-togethers I've been to, best way to get to know people is find someone and introduce yourself.  Find out what they do, how they do it, and maybe an idea may pop into your head about how you can apply their method to your own. 

  • Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Jay Helms sounds great thank you!

  • Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Kyle Nelson yeah I’m planning on going some local ones, just don’t know what to expect lol

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @David Li

    Meetups or REIA (Real Estate Investment Associations) meetings are a great way to network and learn. Don't worry about bring an introvert. There are plenty of extroverts to help bring you out of your shell. Enjoy the knowledge and friends you will make.

  • Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Kenneth Garrett thank you, I feel much better about going now

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    @David 

    @David Li how’d it go??

  • Real Estate Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2017 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    4y

    @Henrry Novas

    People r friendly, just need to go there often

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    This is an old thread but for those just now reading, one thing to be aware of is many meetings will have a sales pitch for some type of training. These can be pretty persuasive sale s pitches so hold on to your wallet. There will always be another training course to take when you are ready. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Addison, IL · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 88 votes
    4y

    @David Li just like with anything it is what you put into it. If you want to just observe and get used to real estate jargon then just start including yourself in discussion.

    If you’re looking to learn about a certain topic then prepare some questions to ask people that are there.

    Not all meetups are the same but generally investors gather up to talk casually about their experience/deals/ honestly anything real estate related.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @David Li:

    Hello everyone, I’m new to real estate and I really want to get to know more people before I get started. And I’m curious what to expect with a real estate meetup? 

    It really depends a little bit on how the group it’s set up. For example if the group is owned by one person or by one company rest assured that they will be directly or indirectly promoting themselves in a big kind of way. There is one that comes to mind that the self-promotion overshadows the tiny bit of education. There will be vendors there as well some you might could find a use for. There will be other investors there as well. Most of them will be newbies. Overall I have personally benefited by forcing myself to go to some of these meetings. Not every one I went to has been beneficial, but how would I know which one would benefit without simply making myself go?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.