1st Time Investor - Investing in Another State?

1st Time Investor - Investing in Another State?

New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 6 votes

Hi everyone! During all this free-time I now have, I've confirmed I won't be investing in my hometown which led me to look into other states. I now have a (I'm sure, simple) question about investing in another state. I'm wanting to apply for an FHA or 203k loan so would I find a local loan officer where I currently reside or an officer in that state? Does it matter?

Thank you!

4Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Junkie · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2008 · 274 posts · 165 votes
6y

203k is a specialized loan that few loan officers are good at. Rehabbing in New Orleans can be a bit more challenging than you might expect. You are definitely going to need to get with a local lender to do 203k here. New Orleans is unlike any place else and you are going to need to work with someone that has the right connections to pull off a 203k without landing yourself in a mental institution. Have you spent a lot of time here? Do you have family or close friends here? You REALLY need to stick close to folks that can help you navigate this city. Too many landmines out there if you don't know what to watch out for. Have you hooked up with a Realtor yet?

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    Also interested to hear other's experiences! I suggest calling several lenders both in your area and where you want to invest and asking them how that would work. Most lenders I spoke with were very eager to help me understand everything.

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Audriana Moon fha loans are to be owner occupied. Not to be used as investment, non-occupied loans. You can apply to fha loans wherever.

  • New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Meredith Burt @Twana Rasoul Thank you for your feedback! To clarify, I do plan on living there, I just want to begin the process before I move. (I'm in Denver and want to move to New Orleans). I will start by speaking to lenders from both states for guidance. 

  • Real Estate Junkie · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2008 · 274 posts · 165 votes
    6y

    203k is a specialized loan that few loan officers are good at. Rehabbing in New Orleans can be a bit more challenging than you might expect. You are definitely going to need to get with a local lender to do 203k here. New Orleans is unlike any place else and you are going to need to work with someone that has the right connections to pull off a 203k without landing yourself in a mental institution. Have you spent a lot of time here? Do you have family or close friends here? You REALLY need to stick close to folks that can help you navigate this city. Too many landmines out there if you don't know what to watch out for. Have you hooked up with a Realtor yet?

  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Thank you for this post because I have questions that relate to this. I work a job where I relocate every 2-3 years. How does someone manage properties in different states? What if you own properties in multiple states? 

  • New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Kimberly Jones Thanks for the insight, your advice was a response I was looking for. I know what I would like to do and what I can actually do is totally different so having a candid perspective is valuable to maintaining my expectations. I do have family/friends there and have visited frequently but I have not spent an extended amount of time there to deeply understand the culture. I do plan on spending a month or locally (pending the craziness) to see how I'm vibing and to network. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    6y

    Being that each state has its own unique real estate laws/regulations/guidelines, and the 203k is quite detailed, it may make sense to go with a local lender where the property is located. 

    HOWEVER, and a big however, there are many 203k-experienced lenders that originate 203k's all over the country and are really good at it. 

    Whichever lender you select, just make certain you can verity their 203k experience (don't just take their word for it). 

    If you want any recommendations let me know. 

  • New to Real Estate · Denver · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Paul Welden That does make sense. And thank you, I'll definitely reach out with any more questions! 

  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    6y

    @Audriana Moon what a fun move to New Orleans. Best of luck and congratulations on your first investment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Nguyen:

    Thank you for this post because I have questions that relate to this. I work a job where I relocate every 2-3 years. How does someone manage properties in different states? What if you own properties in multiple states? That's totally fine. You would just have to hire a property manager that fits your needs for each property you own.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose · Member since 2020 · 45 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    How long do you have to live in an owner occupied house before you can make it a rental ? For the bank point of view, not condo rules .

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Nguyen:

    Thank you for this post because I have questions that relate to this. I work a job where I relocate every 2-3 years. How does someone manage properties in different states? What if you own properties in multiple states? 

     We have properties in four states. A quality property manager is key to long distance investing.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Paul Welden if you can DM me (not sure if that functionality exists) I’d love to know some lenders that specialize in 203k loans across the country

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Brian Singh For FHA and owner-occupied loans, you are agreeing to live there a minimum of 1-year post-close.

    @Audriana Moon if you want to invest in a non-owner occupied home, you can use conventional lending (not FHA or 203K) to purchase. You will sign a rider stating you won't live in the home though.

    PM me if you have Q's!  I'm right up the road from you ;)

  • New to Real Estate · AZ · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y
    Originally posted by @Todd Rasmussen:
    Originally posted by @John Nguyen:

    Thank you for this post because I have questions that relate to this. I work a job where I relocate every 2-3 years. How does someone manage properties in different states? What if you own properties in multiple states? 

     We have properties in four states. A quality property manager is key to long distance investing.

    Knowing my everyday schedule it would be difficult for me manage my properties on my own. Realistically, in order for me to manage my rental properties in other states would hiring a property management agency. Has anyone done this successfully? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.