Deciding number of guests for short term rental

Deciding number of guests for short term rental

Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 0 votes

I know based off of reading this website that airDNA is not always accurate with projecting revenue.  I am looking at a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom place with a bonus room.  I was thinking of doing king beds in the two main bedrooms, and then a queen + a bunk bed in the bedroom downstairs, which is adjacent to the bonus room.  Then I was thinking of putting a sofa sleeper in the bonus room.  However, airDNA drops my projected revenue by 4k and occupancy by 10% if I increase the number of people to 10 from 8.  Is that just because the way the algorithm is designed?  Is it actually better to sleep fewer guests?

0Reply
10 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 575 posts · 395 votes
    6y

    I really doubt that statistic is accurate. What's the square footage of the home? What are you local laws and occupancy restrictions w/ fire dept? If it's a big home in an area with lots of tourism, and you can charge big money for shorter (1-3 night) stays perhaps it will pay off. I've found that packing as many guests as possible into a property is sometimes asking for trouble (parties, big cleaning fees, damage). Your setup sounds fine though, sleeper sofas are your best friend in the Airbnb game. 

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 148 posts · 97 votes
    6y

    In my experience, we charge more for our larger property.  We have a 3 bedroom and 6 bedroom STVR.  As mentioned above, check the regulations.  Our city has a formula for the max number of guests based on bedrooms and floors (I don't believe we can count a bedroom in the basement).  Pull out sofas are okay if they fit into the formula.  Our 3 bed has to max at 8 and 6 bedroom sleeps 14 max.   

  • Specialist · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 390 posts · 496 votes
    6y

    Check the occupancy limits for the area and make sure you aren't overcapacity. Smaller properties will typically have higher occupancy but lower revenue. In many areas, a property that can comfortably (and legally) sleep 10+ people will be in a class by itself and able to command higher rates.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.