Working with $200k-$300k Cash

Working with $200k-$300k Cash

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Good afternoon Bigger Pockets forum. This is my first post, and of course I'm looking for advice. My wife, and I are taking the plunge into real estate investing, and I wanted to consult like minded individuals on a couple key items.

1) Location, location, location. I am fully aware that location is of the utmost importance. We have narrowed down are search to Austin, and Nashville. Both areas seem to be booming, and could quite possibly offer a good ROI. We would be investing long distance, and I wanted to mitigate as much risk as possible. Between these two locations which offers friendlier landlord laws, and the best opportunity in these uncertain times?

2) Price Point. In either location is 100k per unit doable?  I would prefer to purchase a couple units in cash instead of getting financing. I understand loan rates are currently at an all time low, but I feel safer about this strategy. We are not risk adverse, but once again mitigating as much risk as possible. I would like to try to find a multi family, or a couple houses that need minimal work. In either location is my goal possible? I want to go after steady cash flow vs appreciation over time. In the next five years I will adjust my strategy to incorporate appreciating houses, but I need to see the housing market even out.

I want to thank anyone that takes their time to respond. I understand time is money, and you spending even a minute on me is a blessing. GOD BLESS. 

-Paul B. 

3Reply
114 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
5y

Paul:

Good luck on your journey.   I had a few reactions to your post and am hoping to help.

Buying a property for cash, no mortgage, is a bad idea. First, it absolutely destroys your ROI. Second, it makes you a target for lawsuits. Third, it concentrates your risk in a fewer number of properties. (e.g. if you have two properties and one gets hit by a fire, it is worse than if you have 6 properties and one gets hit by a fire) With debt, you improve ROI, reduce lawsuit risk, have a greater number of properties to reduce other risks.

Austin is a great MSA.  Be careful of Austin proper, as it has enacted several tenant-friendly laws that will hurt returns.

Also, if you restrict yourself to $100,000 properties because you don't want a mortgage, you are basically forcing yourself into either bad parts of town, very small properties that will be hard to resell, or your are going to have to buy pieces of junk that need a lot of work.  You will have a harder time finding nice properties, of typical size, in middle class areas that are in good shape.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · San Pedro, CA · Member since 2016 · 206 posts · 89 votes
    5y

    @Storm S.

    Santa Barbara has some income properties that are geared towards students. Great return and California properties are going to appreciate more :)

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 245 votes
    5y

    @Jesse Daconta @Paul Berard I invest full-time as a limited partner in syndications. Many with Joe Fairless and the Ashcroft Capital Team as well. Happy to be a resource if either of you have any questions. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2016 · 518 posts · 283 votes
    5y

    @Charles Cooper they did extremely well during covid even though schools are online they were mostly fully leased.

  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    The original posted mentions he wants to buy cash and a BP members suggests instead to take out close to a million dollars in loans...

    I don't see anyone in this thread asking what return the original poster is looking for or where he is in his financial life or what his thoughts are of the real estate market in the near future.
    Maybe he is okay with a 5% return.
    Maybe he has a large net worth and doesn't need the high returns.

    It may be the total opposite and he really does want high returns and doesn't have a lot of capital.
    What I am trying to say is that no one should just give cookie cutter advice
    Leverage up and get bigger returns blah blah blah

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Paul Berard I have 5 properties in Miami . I paid for all of them in cash. I had to fix them but it was not a problem because my brother is a contractor . First of all paying cash you will get better deals and beat your competition . Secondly your closing will be much cheaper ( so you already saving money ) . Third you don’t need to have insurance ( if you want to be safe you can get insurance with umbrella) . I rent all of them and I got about $70 k cash flow . No headache. I deal only with few tenants . They almost never contact me .It helps me to focus on my business full time and real estate is only extra investment

    The most important you are not next bank employee ( working for them by paying mortgage )

    I like cash

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Paul Berard Hey Paul, I've had a broad scope of experiences over the past 15 years in real estate. It really depends on the amount of time and risk you are willing to. I agree with others that not using a good loan is a bad idea, because you want to leverage your money, credit, banks money, write offs, etc. As far as time goes, flipping takes alot and can be stressful without a good team. And syndications and reits are ultra passive, like watching paint dry. With that said, as I get older, I like to not stress and work with teams with great experience that can scale operations and have economies of scale on costs. Hence, I would chose residential multifamily syndications. Be wary to vet the teams, general partners. Due diligence. I can recommend some I've worked with and many of my mentors in various fields choose syndications as a great return, low risk, no liability(as limited parnter) strategy. The returns may surprise you! =) Good luck!

  • Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Paul Berard

    Shoot me your cell via DM and we can chat for 5-10 min. $100K/ea unit is unlikely in Austin. I do urban infill development here and can at least point you in the right direction if we talk through some more variables.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.