• Rental Property Investor
  • Houston area
Votes |
Do I want to be right, or happy?

Darryl Ferguson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston area
Posted Nov 17 2020, 04:39

Married 30 years and better half are the brakes of this vehicle and I am the accelerator! She wants to go slow and steady, and while I appreciate the need to be careful, I am chomping at the bit to get going on investing! Bought a rental on emotion in 2014 for our Son and of course none of those plans panned out. Got hit with Hurricane Harvey and had 36" of water in the rental, so 60k (40k ins 20k out of pocket) later and a tenant for the past 5 years we are about 70k invested in the rental which is now cash flowing at $585.00 monthly with a new refi of 73k balance on appraised 169k and all major ticket items such as Roof, AC done. I should have cashed out the refi on this, but didn't....primary is worth 160k-180k and paid for. Momma wants to wait and save about 50k to get another rental to move into for 2 months while we fix interior of primary and move back in then rent out the new rental.....I say we heloc or cash out refi the primary and get moving on it sooner than later at the lower rates etc.....I don't know....she has the emergency brake on as well as mashing down on the brake pedal and one foot out the door on the pavement as well....my gotta get out and go clock is about to explode knowing we have leverage and me wanting to make a move, or at least be able to make a move if something too good to pass up comes along......Guess I really need to ask a marriage counselor more than the experts here. I feel I can be happy AND right once I prove it, but really don't want to go through the unhappy stage while we get the setup for the returns going..., but would appreciate all thoughts or ideas to help an investor in the wings on stage left? 

Loading replies...