Need Financial Math Guru to Help Set Goals

Need Financial Math Guru to Help Set Goals

El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 0 votes

Hello All,

I need someone who is strong in math and or spreadsheets to help me with goal setting.

Here is the situation: I want to own (free and clear) 15 properties as soon as possible.

The first one will paid off in February 2014.
Then ill buy another and put 4k per month towards its pay off. (110k loan)

Rinse and repeat x15. Each time using the income from the previous properties to pay off the next one. Add 4k per month of my own money to the payments.

As you can see each property gets paid of at an increasing rate.

MY QUESTION: Will paying off other debt and using the extra money for investing slow my progress or speed it up?

My thoughts are to not worry about my current non mortgage debt and put all my cash into investments. Can you prove mathmatically that I should pay off debt first or even concurrently with investing? Can you show me the benefits of such?

Whats faster? Paying off debt (80k at 8%interest , 9 different loans w varying amounts) using a portion of my 4k per month investment budget or focusing on investment property soley?

Which path is best/faster for achieving the 15 properties free and clear?

Thanks so much.

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

Make sure you keep enough in reserves for property repairs and vacancies and other expenses.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Ryan Logsdon, thanks for the link to my blog! I do the snowball method for a couple reasons.
    1. the more mortgages you have the harder it is to get a loan. I plan on buying a lot of properties and as of right now my portfolio lender will do that, but who knows when things might change.
    2. I like to have a lot of available cash to purchase properties without having actual cash, lines of credit work great for that. If I have properties paid off in full, banks are much more likely to give me lines of credit and see me as more secure financially.
    3. My portfolio lender offers 5 or 7 year Arms. So I want to get most of those paid off before they start adjusting.

    In a perfect world with 30 year fixed loans I would re-invest all my cash flow into more properties.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I re-read the original post and I think I missed the point.

    My theory is if my returns on the my investment is higher than the debt interest rate, keep investing and pay off the debt at a minimum payments. I have car payments and personal house payments that I pay nothing extra on because they are so cheap compared to my rental returns. I don't really care what that debt is against because if I pay it off early, that is money I could have used to invest.

  • SFR Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 16 votes
    13y

    Mark Ferguson your blog is great. I found it a month ago but just signed up for notifications last week. Keep up the posts, they're truly second to none. I was actually inspired by it to the point that every Sunday, I've been logging in to my bank and setting aside $$ to go to my next property. ...actually a bit more than my current passive cashflow.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    i started to read mark's blog one night, and meant to go back to it....

  • SFR Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 16 votes
    13y

    Gary West to save you a good 2/3's of that time in the future, take a look back over your spreadsheet, and see if the similarities start popping out at you between neighboring properties (ie: between properties 3, 4, & 5, or between 4, 5, & 6). You should see a pattern emerge if your prices are reasonable similar. The pattern will be in:

    1) how long it takes to repay a loan, and
    2) how quickly your passive cashflow accelerates.

    This should give you clear idea if the method you're trying out will work, and it'll save you an evening of math.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Ryan Logsdon, thank you!

    I ended up writing all my ten year projections out by hand. I thought that would be much quicker than trying to figure out a spread sheet that could compute all the variables, especially the snowball effect.

    I think I have about five different projections scribbled out buying different amounts of homes each year. The fun part is when you get to the later years and see all that cash flow coming in.

  • El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    The projections are the fun part. Maybe not the 8 hours, but the end result was completely exciting.

    property number 2 paid off in 21-24 months resulting in 2400 dollars/mo Passive cash flow

    property number 15 paid off in 5 months, with 18000 dollars/mo Passive Cash Flow.

    Now i just need to quit talking about it and execute, because right now I have zero paid off with 1250/mo cash flow.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    First off just to be clear the old "A penny saved is a penny earned" might have been correct when the phrase was coined (haha penny, coined...) since there was no income tax. Now a penny saved is better than one that is earned since the government has yet to figure out how to tax us on not spending money! :)

    Gary West correct me if I'm wrong but your plan (at least the original one, seems like you may be reevaluating it as the thread progresses) you would only buy a new property as you pay one off?
    If that is the case I really can't see why you should not pay off the consumer debt. If you don't want to pay 2 mortgages at once why do you want to make payments on over $60K in other debt? (This number is based on you saying you can be debt free in 16 months and that you can $4K/month above rental income to put towards your mortgage).
    Maybe some of that debt is cheap but it seems unlikely it is all at a lower rate than the mortgages. Also the mortgages are tax deductible while most, and likely all, of that other stuff isn't.

    Your goal may be to have the 15 free and clear places as fast as possible but you should look bigger picture. If you are carrying another small mortgage worth of other debt is that really better than having that paid off and having a mortgage?

    Generally if you want to payoff debt the way you want to do it is pay off the most expensive stuff first and work your way to the cheapest money. Highly unlikely your mortgages will be at the top of this list if you have other debt.

  • El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Shaun,

    Thank you for considering my situation.

    I think that the only way to sum this up is by this analogy:

    If someone gave you 10 dollars and it was the last 10 dollars you would ever be given, What would you do with it? Your debt cost you 50 cents per month but totals 9 dollars. Would you use the gift money to pay your debt or would you keep paying the 50 cents per month and use the remainder to create a sustainable income for yourself.

    However I totally see the value of paying off debt and i will. I just need to weigh it out a bit more and do the smart thing. Currently I feel that the smart thing is to create an income that will be there after my day job comes to an end.

    Having said that, a very small portion of my debt costs me more than I would make in an investment. So at the best opportunity Ill pay it off.

    I can be debt free in 16 mos IF and only if I stop investing. This would put me behind in my investment plan. How much? I dont know. Maybe I should do a spread sheet on that part as well.

    Thanks for the idea. Thats what ill do next.

    I appreciate you much.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    @Gary West I agree it is not a great idea to not invest to pay off all the debt.

    I may have misunderstood your plan but it seemed like you want to pay off the mortgages as fast as possible with no regard to the other debt.
    If you payoff debt payoff the expensive stuff first, and that is probably not the mortgages.

    If you want to not pay down any debt to accelerate acquisition that is different strategy, and one that might actually be the fastest way to reaching financial independence.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
    13y

    Gary West

    Hey Gary, good to see you in these parts again!

    Regarding paying off the debt versus investing, I did a bit of number crunching.

    Scenario 1: Work on paying off debt that is incurring 8% interest. That one is easy. You earn an 8% return in reduced expenses.

    Scenario 2: Buy $100K properties that will rent for $1200/month.

    a) Buy property with financing, but pay off the debt as quickly as possible before adding more properties.

    b) Finance the properties, but don't pay them off right away. Work on adding more properties instead.

    To figure out scenario 2, more assumptions are needed. So here are some:
    - Financing is at 4.25% over 30 years, with 20% down.
    - Closing costs are about $3000.
    - Properties need minor cosmetic work. Lets say new paint, carpet, and a smattering of small handyman fixes. Lets call it $4000.
    - We need to add in some holding costs while the work is being done, and you search for a tenant. Lets say a month of P&I, taxes, insurance, keeping the utilities turned on and the lawn mowed. Lets call it $1000.
    - Lets use the 50% rule for ongoing expenses.

    So after you've gone one cycle of option 2a (that is you're done paying the first property off), the numbers look something like this.

    Cash Invested: 108000*
    Gross Annual Income: 14400
    Expenses: 7200
    Debt Service: 0
    Cash Flow: 7200

    * debt service while you're paying it off isn't counted, because the rent covers it.

    So, you've got an income of 7200 on 108000 invested, or a 6.67% return. Except now the tax man wants some of it. You do get to deduct depreciation. It's not really a deduction in that you pay the deductions back when you sell, though you can 1031 into another property, and defer it. For the sake of argument, since this is a pretty long term consideration, lets call it a deduction for now. You get to depreciate the structure (not land) over 27.5 years, or 3.6363% per year. Lets say that of the 100K price per property, 80% of it is the structure. That's pretty typical around here for that price range. So you get to deduct $2909 (80K/27.5) for tax purposes, giving you a taxable income of $4291. I don't know your tax bracket, but since you're able to save 4K/month even with the debts, I'll guess 25%. So you'd pay about $1073 in taxes, bringing your after tax return to $6127, or a 5.67% return.

    So, 2a is not looking great, to put it mildly. On to 2b:

    Cash Invested: 28000 (20K down, plus closing, cosmetic fixup, and holding costs)
    Gross Annual Income: 14400
    Expenses: 7200
    Debt Service: 4723
    Cash Flow: 2477

    An income of $2477 on $28000 invested gives you a pre-tax return of 8.85%.
    The fact that in 2b you leave the mortgage in place introduces another factor – mortgage paydown, which affects both your taxes and long term return.
    On an 80K loan with 4.25% interest, the principle is reduced by an average of $112 per month during the first year, or $1349 total for the year. This brings your income up to $3826, or a 13.67% return – not that you get to see that money for a long time. It also increases your taxable income. When it's all factored in, your numbers look like this:
    Cash on Cash pre-tax: 2477 (8.85%)
    Cash on Cash after-tax: 2248 (8.03%)
    Total ROI pre-tax: 3826 (13.67%)
    Total ROI after-tax: 3597 (12.85%)

    So in terms of pure cash in your pocket, 1 and 2b are a dead tie, with the long term ROI of 2b pushing things in that direction. A couple of other factors:

    Inflation: Suppose that over the course of the first year, there is 2% inflation. Your rent goes up 2% but so do your expenses. Given, it's unlikely that it would happen precisely like that, but for the sake of making the point, lets say that it does. So in year two, your rent would be 14688 for the year, and your non-debt service expenses would stay at 50%, and therefore increase to 7344. BUT, your debt service does not increase, and stays at 4723. Your cash flow is now 2621 before tax (9.36%) and 2356 or 8.41%, after tax. That's a 4.7% increase, beating inflation by 2.7%. Meanwhile the 8% you would be making (saving) by going with option 1, is stuck in year 1 dollars, and loses 2% of it's value due to inflation.

    Certainty: This one pushes things in favor of option 1. The 8% you save by paying off your debts is a sure thing. The 8.03% after tax COC return for year 1 of 2b is a projection. Maybe you can only get 1150 for rent. Maybe you have a longer than expected vacancy. Maybe the hot water heater needs to be replaced, roof blows off, condenser gets stolen, [insert list as long as my arm!].

    Since the returns are fairly similar, at least in the short term, then one idea is to simply alternate. For example, if it takes 7 months to save the 28000 for a property in option 2b, then maybe you could buy a property every 9 months instead, and put two months of savings on the debt. That sounds like it could be a good compromise to make your wife feel more comfortable with the plan, while still making some real progress on the investments. This could be done pretty organically. The market is pretty competitive right now, and it can take a month or two to find a suitable property, not to mention the time between your offer being accepted and closing. Maybe you could use that time to make those 2 payments on the debt.

    A couple of other thoughts.

    You can do at least a bit better than the 100K/1200 rent combo in our market. For around 85000, you can get something which will command 1150-1200 rent, but the repairs will probably be more in the 7 or 8000 range. That bumps the return a good couple of percent. But you've got to be prepared to spend a fair bit of energy property hunting, and be ready to pounce quickly. There's a fair bit of competition.

    Here's one more option - lets call it 2c. Find a distressed property that will eventually rent for 1200, that you can buy for 50K cash. It will have to be cash (or hard money), because a conventional lender will not lend on a property in the condition it will be in for that price. Your closing will be much cheaper – say 1500 – because there's no lender involved. Lets also say that to get it rehabbed and bring it up the 100K market value, your looking at around 25K.

    Ok, so with 76.5K invested, you're making the same 7200/year income as 2a. That gives you a 9.41% cash on cash return before tax (about 7.5% after tax).

    After the seasoning period (the time that must pass before a lender will look at a new appraisal, typically 6-12 months), you do a cash-out refinance. Closing costs and interest rate will be a little higher due to it being a cash out refinance, and I wouldn't bank on being able to get more than 70% out.
    So, say you're able to get 70K out based on a new appraisal of 100K. Your cash left in the property is now only 6.5K. You have to add closing costs for the refi to this. Lets say 4.5K for a total of 11K.
    Debt service on 70K at 4.5% is going to be about $4526, giving you a cashflow of $2944, a 26.8% COC return before taxes.

    There's definately more risk involved with 2c. More scope for getting the rehab numbers wrong, risk of it not making it to 100K on the after rehab appraisal, and the possibility of difficulties getting a cash out refinance, which is harder than getting a straight up loan for a new purchase. Still, it's food for thought.

    Disclaimer – I only have personal experience with options 1, 2a and 2b. I haven't done 2c personally yet, so please don't take everything I'm saying as gospel!

    Anyway, I realize I've typed up a storm, so I'll quit now. I hope this is of some help.

    -Harry

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    13y

    Mark Ferguson thank you for the blog. Excellent!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    John Thedford, Thank you. I am glad you enjoy it.

  • El Paso, TX · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Harry,

    Im so glad you chimed in. You were exactly the math guru that I was hoping to lure onto this thread. Your advice is always spot on.

    Ive read and re-read your post now im going to re re read it and then re re re re- read it. Then Im going to mull things and by February it will most certainly have some effect on my actions.

    Thank you sir. Im so glad there are Nerds in the world like you. :o)

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
    13y

    Gary West - thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you found the info helpful.
    -H

  • Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 47 votes
    12y

    Depends on what you want 15 free and clear properties or the situation that will net you the most value over time.

    Make a time line for both scenarios over your lifetime (or however long)

    make sure to include your acquisitions (or lack thereof because you're paying off the debt) throughout each timeline with cash outflows and inflows.

    Take the difference in NPV using a discount rate specific to what you invest your money at.

    Or take the difference in each timeline on a third and take the NPV of that, again using the discount rate you ivnest money at. (that is how much extra value is created today by choosing the better choice.)

    I think that's how you would do it... Anyone care to chime in? Any financially savvy people here?

    I feel like I left something out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2011 · 87 posts · 22 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi:
    Make sure you keep enough in reserves for property repairs and vacancies and other expenses.

    Good point Dawn +1 Vote! I've seen investors go under by "over-leveraging". The maintenance and vacancy spikes and they don't have enough reserves to cover a touch patch.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.