19 year old looking to purchase 1st property soon; Need some advice

19 year old looking to purchase 1st property soon; Need some advice

Cranston, RI · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes

My name is Tony I, and I am 19 years old. I am looking to purchase my first property within the next year or two.

From reading other discussions on the site, it seems like a three family home is great way to start. Live rent free, and collect cash flow.

The thing that worries me though, is what if things go wrong with the property? I would lose the cash flow because of repairs. Also, I am still in school, so I have limited time to assist tenants if they have problems. Could I hire a property manager for this?

Lastly, besides rent, what other expenses are associated with a multi-family home?

I am sorry for all of the questions, and I understand I have a lot to learn before I start investing. If you guys could point me to any helpful resources I should read (besides the beginner's book) that would be awesome.

Thank you!

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Hey Tony Iacovone welcome to the site! I think your plan is solid - I started my buy-and-hold investing with a duplex that I lived in half and rented the other half out - and still own it and love it.

    However, the importance is just getting a firm grasp on the numbers before hand. Are you familiar with the 50% rule? Make that your best friend :) Check out this post for more info on that: The 50% Rule: How to Quickly Analyze a Multifamily Investment Property [Video]

    Also here are a few more articles to read:

    How to Buy a Small MultiFamily Property: A Step by Step Case Study

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/11/08/fha-loan-multi-family-investment-strategy/

    Hope those help some!

  • Douglas LarsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2008 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    13y

    Tony, My third real estate deal was a functional tri-plex on Maui. I did not live "rent free" but the other two rental spaces made the overpriced house work with my budget. (Every house on Maui was overpriced.) You have a great plan. Keep in mind that older properties will generally have more problems and if your handyman skills and cash reserves are limited, a leaky roof or broken furnace can kill your budget. I stick with rentals no older than 1980. Also remember that a good home inspector during the due-diligence phase is worth his weight in gold.

  • Real Estate Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2013 · 988 posts · 258 votes
    13y

    Get a very experience partner with a successful history of doing what your goals are. Share the profits and the investor will share skills, techniques, and finance wisdom.

    You will learn while you earn.

    Best of luck with achieving your goals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.