Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/.
Flipper · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
@Rashad Grant I would suggest that you figure out what you want to do real estate related. Like, Flipping, Wholesaling, buy and holds, etc. When I started at your age I decided to get my real estate license to begin with at 18, since I did not have the advantages you have now. Check out the internet, youtube, and try networking with like minded individuals in your area.
Attorney · New York City / Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 597 posts · 248 votes
5y
Start by educating yourself in the basics. Not just real estate, but basic financial literacy (like how compounding works, what a security is, how does a lien work, how to read your credit report, & other basic concepts). It is still shocking to me that very few states in our country require a financial literacy course to graduate from high school. Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Robert Kiyosaki (& a lot of his other books) is a great place to start.
If you become a real estate investor you will be educating yourself continually, but you certainly need to build that foundation with the essentials in the beginning. The bookstore on this site has some great resources, your local public library (& interlibrary loan) will probably have some good titles as well.
The Bigger Pockets podcast explains a lot of concepts and the guests come from all walks of life and tell their stories. I highly recommend it.
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 9 votes
5y
You're in the right place! You are very young, which motivates me so much!. You should honestly just read as many of the BP books as you can and watch all of their videos, my man. You are in a great position. You can take action much sooner than a handful of people on this website did. With that said, please don't make any impulsive decisions when it comes to real estate. Just learn as much as you can and talk to as many people on here as you can. Good luck on your journey. You can always hit me up if you have any questions or want to talk real estate!
Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/.
Contractor · spring lake North Carolina · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 10 votes
5y
Hey Dan, my name is Troy, me and my wife purchased two rental properties last year with tenants. Also have a new construction going on in which we thinking about moving in and cash out or helco on the new construction would love to chat with you about ways to move forward from the position we are currently in. Thanks
Investor · Waco TX / Conroe, TX · Member since 2017 · 376 posts · 228 votes
5y
Don't over complicate it. No one expects you to know everything when you are getting started.
Just continue to take advantage of all the resources BP offers (podcast, forums, blogs, webinars, books,etc). There is incredible value to be had in this community. I learned more about RE from spending time on BP then I ever did in 3 yrs in college, haha.
You are lucky you are starting so young. I wish i had done that.