How to cash flow MFH in tenant friendly states?

How to cash flow MFH in tenant friendly states?

Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 49 votes

I’m in NY and I know cash is king in the mid-west but there have to been investors actually cash-flowing in the North (NY, NJ, CT, MD etc). I am looking further out of state but I really don’t have boots on the ground any where else so I would really just be going in blind. Looking for tips and success stories.

2Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

Lots of cash flowing properties in Rochester and Syracuse 

But, per usual higher cash flow often means lower appreciation and lower level neighborhoods 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2017 · 195 posts · 106 votes
    5y

    @Jezelle John

    Welcome to BP you have found the right place to learn endless amounts about real estate investing. 

    The first thing I suggest to you for investing out of state is to read the book "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene it will give you a complete guide on how to do this. Find your area then reach out to an agent and get setup on the MLS. That will generate LEADS for you to look at and run numbers on the properties. If you find a Rockstar agent that has experience with out of state investors they likely have the people in place for each step. They can refer you to contractors, property managers, inspectors.


    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I’m here to help as a fellow investor that is probably going through or been through what you are.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Lots of cash flowing properties in Rochester and Syracuse 

    But, per usual higher cash flow often means lower appreciation and lower level neighborhoods 

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2021 · 110 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    @Jezelle John

    You might want to consider Turnkey Properties which have already been rehabbed, with tenants and property management in place. If you are interested in the Kansas City market or even Dayton OH, feel free to PM and I can show you some options that may be a great fit for you. I hope that helps and best of luck! 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jezelle John:

    I’m in NY and I know cash is king in the mid-west but there have to been investors actually cash-flowing in the North (NY, NJ, CT, MD etc). I am looking further out of state but I really don’t have boots on the ground any where else so I would really just be going in blind. Looking for tips and success stories.

    I recommend you read this article on OOS investing. It explains the importance of creating your core four. You will need to get a local, rockstar Realtor, contractor, lender, and property manager.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/core-four-real-estate-team

    I invest locally in Columbus, Ohio

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    You might want to follow the "Deep Dive" series we're doing on our BiggerPockets blog about Metro Detroit cities and City of Detroit Neighborhoods:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Jezelle John like I saw someone else say, connecting with a rockstar agent in the state you want to invest in is key. One of the way my team likes to find value-add opportunities is by looking for properties that have below-market rents and doing the underwriting to see where the rents could be based on the market rate. When you have landlords who have a property that they don’t pay any attention to and god forbid, have property managers in place who aren’t doing their job and raising rents to keep up with the market, there’s a simple value-add opportunity. Mind you, you can only increase rents a certain percent each year, but it’s a good opportunity to look for (or have your agents look for).

    If you’re interested in looking in NC, let’s connect!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    You can cash flow in most markets across the USA, you just need to find the right source of deals to find those properties. Yes you can cash flow in the midwest more easily on average but it's the same process of needing to find a deal source who can bring you those cash flowing deals. You should analyze a few markets, make a decision, and find a good investor friendly agent.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jezelle John:

    I’m in NY and I know cash is king in the mid-west but there have to been investors actually cash-flowing in the North (NY, NJ, CT, MD etc). I am looking further out of state but I really don’t have boots on the ground any where else so I would really just be going in blind. Looking for tips and success stories.

     Best way to cash flow in tenant friendly states is by spending your money in landlord friendly states lol.

  • Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    Hahaha…..great way to put it. 

  • Member since 2021 · 72 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @James Wise lol - I just emailed your company today! Your YouTube video saved me from investing with Morris invest.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jezelle John:

    @James Wise lol - I just emailed your company today! Your YouTube video saved me from investing with Morris invest.

     Dodged a bullet there lol.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.