How can I spend my off days working in real estate?

4 Replies

I am a full time fire fighter and I work 48 hours on and 96 hours off. I'm on shift for two days straight and then have four days off every time I leave work. With all of this free time I'd like to get involved in real estate. Is there any advise or ideas on what kind of work I could seek? 

My husband and I are in the middle of a cash out refinance on our current home in DFW. We are looking to invest that money in a small multifamily that we house hack while renting out our current house. I'm looking for anything that will get my foot in the door or simply just be some better experience than just reading books and listening to the BP Podcast.

I know that the podcast talks about finding someone I can bring value to but I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't mind working as an intern either, I honestly just don't know where to begin. Thanks for the help!

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

It sounds like you already have a plan to get started. Honestly, anything is better than just reading and listening to podcasts. Of course, you need to start there because it's free education and it teaches you what you need to know to get started. Eventually, you have to just jump in, which it sounds like you're about to! To utilize the remaining free time you have throughout the days off with a more active role in real estate, you could look into flipping, wholesaling, becoming a part-time realtor, or running an airbnb. We actively run an airbnb out of our basement each day and it's been rather fruitful not having to pay for cleaners since we do all of the work ourselves. If you don't want to spend a lot on the purchase of an airbnb, you could always consider airbnb arbitrage. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by @Kenzie McIlvoy :

I am a full time fire fighter and I work 48 hours on and 96 hours off. I'm on shift for two days straight and then have four days off every time I leave work. With all of this free time I'd like to get involved in real estate. Is there any advise or ideas on what kind of work I could seek? 

My husband and I are in the middle of a cash out refinance on our current home in DFW. We are looking to invest that money in a small multifamily that we house hack while renting out our current house. I'm looking for anything that will get my foot in the door or simply just be some better experience than just reading books and listening to the BP Podcast.

I know that the podcast talks about finding someone I can bring value to but I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't mind working as an intern either, I honestly just don't know where to begin. Thanks for the help!

Maybe work at a large apartment complex in the rental office showing apartments and taking applications.

That way you can get to know how to show units, proper safety techniques for yourself during a showing, and standard industry protocol for a lot of other things.

And make some friends along the way.

Pro Tip: They tend to put fresh cookies out in a lot of places--but staff are not allowed to eat them.