How can I spend my off days working in real estate?

How can I spend my off days working in real estate?

Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 9 votes

I am a full time fire fighter and I work 48 hours on and 96 hours off. I'm on shift for two days straight and then have four days off every time I leave work. With all of this free time I'd like to get involved in real estate. Is there any advise or ideas on what kind of work I could seek? 

My husband and I are in the middle of a cash out refinance on our current home in DFW. We are looking to invest that money in a small multifamily that we house hack while renting out our current house. I'm looking for anything that will get my foot in the door or simply just be some better experience than just reading books and listening to the BP Podcast.

I know that the podcast talks about finding someone I can bring value to but I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't mind working as an intern either, I honestly just don't know where to begin. Thanks for the help!

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y

To me your schedule lends itself to doing a flip 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    To me your schedule lends itself to doing a flip 

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    90% of the REI's day, when they are doing REI, should be spent doing market analysis...it's that important.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 54 votes
    4y

    It sounds like you already have a plan to get started. Honestly, anything is better than just reading and listening to podcasts. Of course, you need to start there because it's free education and it teaches you what you need to know to get started. Eventually, you have to just jump in, which it sounds like you're about to! To utilize the remaining free time you have throughout the days off with a more active role in real estate, you could look into flipping, wholesaling, becoming a part-time realtor, or running an airbnb. We actively run an airbnb out of our basement each day and it's been rather fruitful not having to pay for cleaners since we do all of the work ourselves. If you don't want to spend a lot on the purchase of an airbnb, you could always consider airbnb arbitrage. Hope this helps.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kenzie McIlvoy:

    I am a full time fire fighter and I work 48 hours on and 96 hours off. I'm on shift for two days straight and then have four days off every time I leave work. With all of this free time I'd like to get involved in real estate. Is there any advise or ideas on what kind of work I could seek? 

    My husband and I are in the middle of a cash out refinance on our current home in DFW. We are looking to invest that money in a small multifamily that we house hack while renting out our current house. I'm looking for anything that will get my foot in the door or simply just be some better experience than just reading books and listening to the BP Podcast.

    I know that the podcast talks about finding someone I can bring value to but I'm feeling kind of lost. I don't mind working as an intern either, I honestly just don't know where to begin. Thanks for the help!

    Maybe work at a large apartment complex in the rental office showing apartments and taking applications.

    That way you can get to know how to show units, proper safety techniques for yourself during a showing, and standard industry protocol for a lot of other things.

    And make some friends along the way.

    Pro Tip: They tend to put fresh cookies out in a lot of places--but staff are not allowed to eat them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.