My First Tax Lien Sale

My First Tax Lien Sale

Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes

I have been a member for awhile now and I have been reading and learning about all the different strategies for Real Estate. I decided to go to my first tax sale which was very interesting. First of all they don’t truly advertise this information very much. I happened to scroll on the county website and came across the Tax Sale Package. In Champaign County there is a registration form that has to be filled out by a certain time. There is a 500 dollar deposit and fifty dollars for the available list which is sent via email. You get the list a week or so before the sale that way you can have time to focus on the parcels you want. Second; it is very important to know what your buying so go out and drive by this parcels!! Illinois has a 2 1/2 redemption period. However, this experience was fun. The day of the sale you can tell everyone is familiar with each other which let’s you know same companies come every year!! I had to make sure I bought one of my companies blank signed checks to the sale. It’s a requirement in order to participate. You choose a laptop and sit and wait for the sale to begin. Illinois is a bid down state which bidding starts at 18% down to 0%. Let me tell you know there were a lot of 0% winning bids. Which got me to thinking the whole point should be to gain interest off your investment for you solving someone’s problem for them! That’s just my thinking but it was sure fun to watch people slam their finger on that mouse to click zero. I walked away proud because the four parcels I was interested in; I was able to bid 18% & 12% and purchase those tax lien certificates. It was an eye opening experience for me and I will be back for next year. I am learning as I go. I am on my way to greatness one move at a time. I was just happy that I finally took a step and got my toe wet in something. I just wanted to share my first experience!! To anyone who reads this be blessed and have a wonderful day!!!

14Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

I have retired from my job as an Electrical Engineer due to all the houses I now own that I received via tax lien auctions in SC. I took me about 10 years to acquire plenty of houses. 

We have a 1 year redemption period in SC. You get your money back plus up to 12% interest or a deed shows up in the mailbox with no more effort on your part.   

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston wow congratulations! I never heard of these type of sales and now it gets me thinking that maybe I should start looking into this route as well.

    Can you explain a little on how these sales work? Can you share what you ended up paying for those 2 parcels?

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Melissa Harris

    Sure ok so it’s called Tax Lien Certificates. It’s not a Tax Deed sale basically you catch the owners taxes up for them. They have 2 years to return your money. Some states are less you have to check with your state or whichever state you would like to bid in. But the key is to keep paying the taxes to ensure you either get your money back or you end up with the parcel. I purchased 6 residential vacant lots(really happy because 4 lots are side by side. The ones I wanted) and 2 commercial properties certificates for 4K. Also wise to advise with an attorney because you will need one after you purchase the certificates. The Attorney helps with the process of ensuring you either get your investment funds or the parcel. I am still going through the attorney process. I am just waiting on the County Collector to send me my certificates. They cashed my check so I know the certificates are on the way. Once I get started in with that process; I will keep you updated on how everything pans out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Melissa Harris

    Even if you just purchase the list it would be good list to have if people where looking to purchase properties off market. Plenty of people need help solving their home problems and this is a way too!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston  That is really exciting! Yes I would love to hear how it all pans out :) I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Melissa Harris

    No problem and remember all Real Estate strategies comes with risk. However, I decided to start somewhere!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Windsor, CO · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston absolutely! Looking forward to hearing from you about your journey :) 

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston - That's awesome and congratulations!  I've actually been pretty interested in the tax sales up here in Chicago. I believe that the tax sale date is November 5th for Cook County so I might at least go check it out to see how it works.

    Definitely, a little intimidating not knowing much about it.  Seems like you did a bunch of research and went for it!  Love it! 

    Greatness one move at a time!!

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 504 posts · 282 votes
    4y

    Thanks for sharing such great detail on your experience. Good luck and hope it all pans out! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Klemm

    I believe you can contact your local county and ask if you can just sit in on one to see how it works. I am not totally sure if you can. However, when I was there bidding people were to just watch the experience. It never hurts to ask.

  • CO · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    I have recently been interested in tax lien sales as well. In my county, the list and property details are publicly posted at least 2 months ahead of time. I ran the list and connected the dots, and found some interesting properties. I have no idea what to make of them and why they're on the tax lien sale list for later this week?! Maybe someone here could make sense of it for me and explain why these properties would even have outstanding taxes due.

    Property 1. Small 2 building apartment complex with about 40 units in a class B/high C part of town. Early 1980's build. I just watched an exterior remodel and upgrade to the utilities go on this summer. They repainted the buildings to modern colors, re-roofed them, did a lot of work with the utility meters and moved them into these bump-outs attached to the buildings (rather than stuck to the side like an eyesore) and patched up/repainted the parking lot. It didnt look like they did any significant remodel of the interior. The complex is right down the street from me. County records show it sold about 1.5 yrs ago for about $19 million.(I live in an expensive area, but I would not expect this high of a price. An 8-plex here goes for 1 to 1.5 million) Now it has $15,000 in outstanding unpaid taxes on it and going to lien sale in 6 days. What gives? Surely whomever can afford that purchase price and renovations has 15k for taxes? Right?

    Property 2 & 3. Two houses on separate lots. One large house/large lot and one small house/small lot. They are at the end of the street that butts up to open space in Boulder, Colorado in the Chatauqua neighborhood. The house has not been sold since it was built in the late 50's. Its held in a Trust in the name of the couple who built it and managed by an LLC consulting group out of NYC who manages trusts and investments "for high end clientele". The couple divorced many years ago, husband moved to NY and died a couple years ago. From the phonebook, the wife (in her 80s I believe) still lives in the big house. There are multiple 30 year old age group names assigned to the smaller house. There's $400 outstanding on the big house and $14,500 outstanding on the small house in taxes. What gives? Is the LLC not managing the properties in the trust correctly and aren't paying the taxes? Unless they fix the problem in 5 days, theres going to be a tax lien on the properties. Together, those properties are likely worth a conservative $5 million ranging from $5-8 million. Seems likely that someone related to those properties is going to pay the lien or be at the lien sale before the 3yrs wait period is up and it goes to deed. It would seem that the play here is to buy the liens, perhaps pay premium for them over the lien price, give your required notices to the property owner and then hope the lien goes under the radar for 3 years then file for deed. In Colorado, I believe once you apply for the deed, theres a minimum wait period of a couple months and they will notify the owner that someone has applied for the deed and it gives them once last chance to pay the lien (so it seems a lot of people finally pay at that point and its really rare that a deed actually changes hands due to a lien sale.) Maybe you buy the liens hoping for the return on your investment plus interest but I bet the interest rate gets bid down to almost nothing making that strategy ineffective. AGH! So mind boggling to me.

    Hell...I can't make total sense of all of it. I might pay my $5 and go spectate this week and ask people about their experience and strategies. Also to see who buys these 3 liens, why, and for how much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Karissa Sampson

    Good Morning, There could be a number of reason why those 3 properties have not had their taxes paid in full. Strapped for cash, bankruptcy, just don’t want to deal with the properties anymore etc…. However you just have to do your homework to make sure. Not every real estate strategy works the same for everyone. Like I mentioned in my first post; I thought it was absolutely crazy to watch people automatically hit zero. Seeing that 95% of tax liens get paid back. You would want to have that interest on there to make it worthwhile. If you decide to go and sit in please let me know how you like the atmosphere and the happenings in there. Have a wonderful day and be blessed!!!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I have retired from my job as an Electrical Engineer due to all the houses I now own that I received via tax lien auctions in SC. I took me about 10 years to acquire plenty of houses. 

    We have a 1 year redemption period in SC. You get your money back plus up to 12% interest or a deed shows up in the mailbox with no more effort on your part.   

  • Real Estate Broker · NY · Member since 2020 · 70 posts · 27 votes
    4y

    Hi Atha, I have been interested in Tax Liens for many years now and never acted on it, Nice for you to share your experience!

  • CO · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston Thank you for your response. I'll let you know if I go and what my experience was.

    @John Underwood In Colorado, there was a public outrage about tax liens and transfer of deeds so they've added on restrictions over time. We have a 3 yr redemption period. Any premium paid over the original tax lien amount at the sale is not required to be paid back by the property owner. There are minimum requirements for  the number and timing of notifications you must send to the property owner (certified letter or similar I believe). I also believe once you apply for the deed at the end of the 3 yrs, they give one last notice to the owner and they have one last chance to redeem (a month or a few months, cant remember) before the deed is transferred. *If I'm incorrect on any of this, please chime in. I'm not an expert on tax lien sales in Colorado. Im just starting to look into them*

    Seems like in Colorado, the laws are such that its nearly impossible to actually get a property deed out of a tax lien sale. I also have heard that many of the liens are going for large premiums and hardly any reasonable interest. Kinda seems to make tax lien sales a moot point. But, I'll see for myself at the tax lien sale.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @John Underwood

    Wow that is absolutely wonder news to hear!! Proud of you for sticking with it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @LaTonya Clark

    My only advice is do your homework and be committed!! I am rooting for you!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston Congrats. Here in Orlando they use to post them in the news paper for a few weeks before the actual sale. Now everything in online. I've done it years ago and may look to do it again soon. My buddy did it and ended up getting Tiger Woods home because his management company didn't pay it and Tiger came to his house and paid him.

    @John Underwood That's awesome. Might need to buys some SC tax liens.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    @Red Johnston

    Wow that’s awesome!!

  • OK · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Karissa Sampson

    I've gone to several tax sales where the properties I wanted to bid on where are removed from the bid list at the last minute when the owner rushed in the door and paid up his taxes owed after the sale had started.

  • Rental Property Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    Update: My first tax redeem check

    I received a letter in my P.O. Box yesterday that one of my tax lien certificates have been redeemed. It’s was a commercial property. I go tomorrow to pick up my check. This is such an exciting experience for me. I most certainly have found my niche. I will just take the check and invest it back into my company. So now instead of me having 8 tax lien certificates; I now have 7. So far I am still holding the tax lien certificates that I truly wanted!!

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Atha Winston congratulations. Yes the first auction can be eye opening. But good for you for stepping up and participating. You will learn something new every year. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @Ned Carey - Awesome, Extremely helpful information! Much thanks! Question, It seems as if your strategy is vacant homes and I’m curious if you Have any other tips that help you to find properties that you have a better chance to foreclose on?

    Example, are out of state owners better, are liens over a certain dollar amount better, etc? I ask because I read that upwards of 98% of tax liens are actually redeemed by the owner, however you seem to be having a much better batting average! Again, thanks Ned. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Paul Nagy owners who have owned for a long time. Sometimes when someone has owned for 20-30+ years,it goes into tax sale because the owner is dead. Often the heirs don't know what to do or don't bother and you get the property.

    Also look for boarded or vacant properties. The bidders who are counting on the redemption interest will often skip these. Oddly the dollar amount does not seem that important. If someone wants to redeem they will find the money. If they have abandoned the property they won't bother paying even a small amount. 

  • Investor · Covington, LA · Member since 2012 · 517 posts · 317 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Karissa Sampson:

    @Atha Winston Thank you for your response. I'll let you know if I go and what my experience was.

    @John Underwood In Colorado, there was a public outrage about tax liens and transfer of deeds so they've added on restrictions over time. We have a 3 yr redemption period. Any premium paid over the original tax lien amount at the sale is not required to be paid back by the property owner. There are minimum requirements for  the number and timing of notifications you must send to the property owner (certified letter or similar I believe). I also believe once you apply for the deed at the end of the 3 yrs, they give one last notice to the owner and they have one last chance to redeem (a month or a few months, cant remember) before the deed is transferred. *If I'm incorrect on any of this, please chime in. I'm not an expert on tax lien sales in Colorado. Im just starting to look into them*

    Seems like in Colorado, the laws are such that its nearly impossible to actually get a property deed out of a tax lien sale. I also have heard that many of the liens are going for large premiums and hardly any reasonable interest. Kinda seems to make tax lien sales a moot point. But, I'll see for myself at the tax lien sale.

     Colorado is not a good state to invest in tax liens. I bought there for the first time a couple months ago, about 200 tax liens, I have a strategy but will be adjusting it some next year. The premiums being bid on almost all liens is insane. I had to bid in 13-15 counties to find a few I think will be worth doing again with my adjusted strategy. It hurts every time I get a check because I lose money one every one since it's only been a couple months.

    In Colorado you do not get the premium amount back, the county keeps it. The in person auctions are much better but everything online is being bid way up.  For example, a $1,000 tax lien on a decent house will sell for about $1200.    So the high bidder paid a $200 premium (donation) to the county.  The interest rate for 2021 was 9%.  So you making $7.50 a month in interest. If the owner redeems after 2 months you get a check for $1015.00  but you spent $1200.  Even if they home owner  waits till the last month to redeem you would only make $270 in interest. Your net would be $70 for tying up $1200 for 3 years. Most don't wait till last month to redeem a lot redeem in the first couple months. In many cases when you pay a premium you will lose money.  For the vacant land liens that are around $50 - $500    people are bidding way more in premium than you could possibly make from interest. All of those bidders are taking a lose on every single lien that gets redeemed in the hopes of getting a few deeds.

    Yes Colorado is 3 year redemption period, after 3 years you apply for a deed usually about $300 and it can take anywhere from couple months up to a year before you could get the deed. The county will try to find the owners best they can once you apply for the deed. I imagine a lot are found and pay up.

    You would do much better going to tax sales that are in person in smaller counties. If I lived there I wouldn't even waste time on the online auctions. 

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    @Will Sifert

    Are those bidder big bidders winning a LOT of liens?

    Hopefully some of these big money idiots will lose a lot of money and decide to get out of tax sale permanently. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.