We Tried and Failed . . . Chat is Dead

We Tried and Failed . . . Chat is Dead

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Hey Guys - 

One of the most challenging parts of running an online company is figuring out the kinds of features that your users want and will use.  Unfortunately, you'll often hear from your vocal users about a feature and assume that it is something that everyone wants or will use.  Sometimes you even decide that those features make for a better product.

Many times through the history of BiggerPockets, we've launched features that we've ultimately killed off and today marks the day we do it once again.

We launched a live chat feature on the site thinking that it would improve the interactivity of BP.  We assumed that people would be excited to connect in real time with their colleagues and we expected this feature to be a big hit.  Over the years, we've had countless requests for user to user chat and eventually launched the feature.

I believe we did a pretty solid job with it and I ended up using it daily to interact with the community.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for the community at large. Our adoption was pretty terrible and in the end, the cost of keeping the feature for the small handful of people that actually used it was too high.

As such, I'm sorry to announce to those few people that actually found the tool handy, that we have killed off our chat feature.

We aren't chucking the code in the trash and may decide to bring it back in some other capacity in the future, but for now, we bid adieu to chat.

Thanks for the understanding, and hopefully next time we get it right!

5Reply
191 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Leominster, MA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 589 votes
11y

On a similar note @Joshua D.

 what about an Android app? Any plans?

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rob Beland:

    On a similar note @Joshua D.

     what about an Android app? Any plans?

     2nd this 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    The app is quite limited when compared to what you can do on the website. Those of you wanting an android version will probably be happier just using your browser.
  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2014 · 733 posts · 155 votes
    11y

    I hear a lot of people wanting an Android App....are there any plans to add more features to the current App because there are many things you can't do with/on the app????

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Folks - We are aware that you want an Android app.  No need to keep telling us.  We know.  Thanks.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Honestly, I never used it either. I feel that a PM is just as easy, and if you're far enough into a relationship to be chatting with someone you'll likely have the other person's phone number or email.

  • Real Estate Professional · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 120 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Thanks for sharing

  • Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    I mean if you really want to connect with people in real time there are other ways to do this sadly and if it was costing to much to upkeep you gotta do what you gotta do. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joshua D.:

    ...

    We launched a live chat feature on the site thinking that it would improve the interactivity of BP.  We assumed that people would be excited to connect in real time with their colleagues and we expected this feature to be a big hit.  Over the years, we've had countless requests for user to user chat and eventually launched the feature.

    I believe we did a pretty solid job with it and I ended up using it daily to interact with the community.

    Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for the community at large. Our adoption was pretty terrible and in the end, the cost of keeping the feature for the small handful of people that actually used it was too high.

    ...

     I would suggesting changing the topic title to something more fitting, such as:

    "We Tried and Fell Short ... Chat is Dead"

    Failed just doesn't fit what I read in the OP. 

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks Steve.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    @Joshua D.

    I'll accept a colleague request and respond to PM's from almost anyone who is not spamming and will take the time to actually write a not with the request.  However, that doesn't mean I want them popping up in front of my face!  :-)

     I like you, Hattie. You can PM me any time :)

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 143 votes
    11y

    @Joshua D.  i never gave chat a shot because 99% of my bp time is on my phone rather than computer.  But thank you for investing in new ideas and being honest with us when you have to pull the plug. 

    6 months ago I would have joined the masses asking for an android app, but I decided to get the new IPhone instead. Never knew what I was missing all those years with the old 'droid.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    was a terrible idea.  I am not the most connected person on here but I'd always text someone I really wanted to talk to. 

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 515 votes
    11y

    @Joshua D.It takes a brave person to venture into the unknown, a much braver person to admit they failed (which may not be the right word we RE people never fail er learn and get better) Anyways hats off to the best RE network there is. 

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    11y

          I've seen or overseen chat/IM functionality implemented on dozens of sites over the last 20 years.  Sometimes the implementation works for the site owners and community, and sometimes it doesn't.  I think in the future you'll find the "cost" of a chat app converges on zero, and they will keep getting more and more configurable and easier to tune.

         One day when it's super cheap and simple to experiment with different visual presentations, and different hierarchies with regards to who you are chatting with, you'll find the perfect mix.  Until then, sounds like your efforts are best spent elsewhere.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:
    Originally posted by @Hattie Dizmond:

    @Joshua D.

    I'll accept a colleague request and respond to PM's from almost anyone who is not spamming and will take the time to actually write a not with the request.  However, that doesn't mean I want them popping up in front of my face!  :-)

     I like you, Hattie. You can PM me any time :)

    I like you too, Ben!!   (The rest of you please excuse us. Ben and I are going to form a mutual admiration society!)

  • Contractor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 37 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rob Beland:

    On a similar note @Joshua D.

     what about an Android app? Any plans?

     Yes an Android app would be great.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John D.:

          I've seen or overseen chat/IM functionality implemented on dozens of sites over the last 20 years.  Sometimes the implementation works for the site owners and community, and sometimes it doesn't.  I think in the future you'll find the "cost" of a chat app converges on zero, and they will keep getting more and more configurable and easier to tune.

         One day when it's super cheap and simple to experiment with different visual presentations, and different hierarchies with regards to who you are chatting with, you'll find the perfect mix.  Until then, sounds like your efforts are best spent elsewhere.

     I think both it was a good idea to try it and a good idea to abandon it when it did not meet the needs of the community.  IMO one thing that chat needs to be successful is content.  If it is tried again - maybe scheduling some of the podcast hosts available for chat at a certain time.  Another issue may have been that it was just one thing too many - there already are blogs, PMs, messages, podcasts, calculators, etc.

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    @Joshua D. I love that y'all are continually trying new things and working towards making this site the best it can be.

    BP, and this particular chat feature/decision, reminds me of 'The Lean Start Up' by Eric Ries.  He encourages constant evaluation of what's working on what isn't, and pivoting accordingly.  So maybe the title should be, "We tried... and pivoted", unless that conjures images of Lebron James in your mind, which I'm sure would make @James Wise's day!

  • Investor · Sneads Ferry, NC · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I totally understand your reasoning but I did use it and loved it. I hope you will bring it back. I got a lot of useful information from my colleges right away when they were on. I hope someday soon it will be back on as a feature. As a business person I do however understand. Best wishes, Have a Blessed Day.

  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y

    @Joshua D. thanks for continuing to add value to the site. Personally, I didn't use it much, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great tool. Excellent job in keeping ahead of the curve! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Davis:

    @Joshua D. I love that y'all are continually trying new things and working towards making this site the best it can be.

    BP, and this particular chat feature/decision, reminds me of 'The Lean Start Up' by Eric Ries.  He encourages constant evaluation of what's working on what isn't, and pivoting accordingly.  So maybe the title should be, "We tried... and pivoted", unless that conjures images of Lebron James in your mind, which I'm sure would make @James Wise's day!

     The great ones always find a way to adapt.

  • Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 419 posts · 52 votes
    11y

    I wonder why it wasn't popular.  Thanks for trying!

  • Investor · Los Angeles County, CA · Member since 2012 · 962 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    Hey @Joshua D.

     I too was excited about the chat but never found time to go onto it.  I wonder if you could set up a time, possibly weekly, to do chat.  Like 8 PM EST on Sundays.  That way it would be more possible to schedule for people.  It would be similar to a RE Investor Club or meetup since it's scheduled.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I think the thing is, when you are on BP and working on a deal, there may be a person that you'd like to ask a question of, but they aren't on right at that time, so it's easier to just message them. Another thing, is that BP has members around the world. I often get messages from people asking questions about investing, development, BP, etc. from other countries that are way ahead of me in time, so chat wouldn't work in those cases. 

    Nice try though!! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks Josh. We appreciate EVERYTHING you have done. Great work......great site...great community!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.