How do you currently "save" articles on BiggerPockets?

How do you currently "save" articles on BiggerPockets?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Hello, fellow BiggerPocketeers!

Recently we asked you what sort of features you'd like to see on BiggerPockets, and a recurring suggestion was a way to save articles, videos, podcast episodes and forum threads so you can find them again later.

So how are you CURRENTLY saving these links? 

1Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Bismarck, ND · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 5 votes
9y

I either print the article out, or book mark it. I would love a way to save an article within my profile, so I could go back and reference it when I had more time.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    The simple  is the common BOOKMARK, but

    To make a saved article searchable on my pc:

    • file menu->save page as.... format choice->Web Page Complete

    This creates a clickable HTM or HTML file and a folder of the same name full of the graphics required by the HTML.  If you need to relocate this, be sure to move BOTH the dir and the file

    Create a new folder inside My Documents like BP or BIGGERPOCKETS\

    and save inside it for clarity of the origin of the data

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    I generally print the article as PDF and save it in folder. I am worried that the links won't work in the future.
  • Bismarck, ND · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I either print the article out, or book mark it. I would love a way to save an article within my profile, so I could go back and reference it when I had more time.

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
    9y
    I like PDFs myself or I'll copy and paste the key points to a Google document along with reference URL.
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Unfortunately, I don't.

    Ideally there would be some sort of sandbox space, like a subforum or thread that each user has, that they are the boss and dictator of - the way @Mindy Jensen is dictator controller of the forums writ large. Any time they have access to BP, they have access to their personal sandbox. 

    A quick hack to use what already exists and minimize programmer time: the existing moderator framework. Give @Alex Wong here mod rights on the Alex Wong subforum that, by default, only Alex Wong can see (picked someone at random). Alex can delete things, add things, link to things, sticky things, et cetera, and who cares what Alex does because it's his sandbox.

    This exists on reddit. Buried in the obscure depths of reddit are a few posts I know how to easily find. I edit those posts to link to useful content that I may want to refer back to in the future, and because these are edits it doesn't populate at the top of my post history when I make a change. I don't care if others see it, but it's highly unlikely anyone will ever stumble across it. They are in a subreddit I made up, so I'm dictator of my little obscure corner.

    This sort of thing also exists in the open source software community. I can go on Git, find some project or thing I like, make my own clone of it, and do with it what I want. Similarly, maybe Alex could find some article or post that he likes, import it into his personal sandbox, where he can mark it up with links, commentary, notations, etc.

    Assuming the software guys can segregate permissions appropriately, I think you've already got what you need if you just mash the existing moderator framework, with each user automatically getting their own private subforum that they have modrights to. A few tweaks will be needed, for example obviously User Sally can't move an article into her sandbox (like when we move a thread to the right forum), she can only copy it. Some people will use it to save articles. Others will use it to archive deal analysis. Maybe User Fred over there uses it to archive his random personal musings on REI. It's a sandbox, use it for whatever you like! And, again, we're not reinventing the wheel here.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Unfortunately, I don't.

    Ideally there would be some sort of sandbox space, like a subforum or thread that each user has, that they are the boss and dictator of - the way @Mindy Jensen is dictator of the forums writ large. Any time they have access to BP, they have access to their personal sandbox.

     Using terms like this is how you gain respect for your ideas?  OUCH.

    At lease moderate the choice to something not only more politically correct but at least technically more indicative:-  Owner, Controller

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Unfortunately, I don't.

    Ideally there would be some sort of sandbox space, like a subforum or thread that each user has, that they are the boss and dictator of - the way @Mindy Jensen is dictator of the forums writ large. Any time they have access to BP, they have access to their personal sandbox.

     Using terms like this is how you gain respect for your ideas?  OUCH.

    At lease moderate the choice to something not only more politically correct but at least technically more indicative:-  Owner, Controller

    To each his own, but I don't view "dictator" as a bad word in the context of software stuff. Context from the software world, which is where my sandbox idea came from, and appropriate given that it was essentially a technical software question that was posed ("how do you currently use software X to accomplish task Y?"). 

    The term does not carry any negative stigma or connotation. And note the underlined portion. :) 

    To each user a private sandbox, with each user as dictator of their personal sandbox.

  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    I use an app called Pocket. love it! I save to pocket from my phone, iPad, Pc and works on android. When I have free time I just go to Pocket and read 1 or 2 articles. I can be in Facebook where I get bigger pockets articles, email or on the web.
  • Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I would try either using an app called Pocket to save them or use archive.is to save them as an archive. I hope that helps.

  • Architect · Sydney, NSW · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    I use Pocket extension to Google Chrome. 

    However, for me the best way to save is to write out key principles into a paper notebook.

    If there is too much to write, I copy key principles to OneNote and highlight key words.

  • AZ-Yuma,Mesa,Phoenix, Scottsdale; CA-Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area, CA, AZ · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I don't know if my profile picture is showing or not because it doesn't show up when I go to edit profile. 

    After this first post I'll hope to see a change! Anywho! I'm excited to begin my investing journey and network with all of my new BP friends. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 193 votes
    9y
    I mostly do 'simple' and bookmark, but I occasionally copy and paste brief tips into a document.
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:
    Originally posted by @Jeff B.:

    To each his own, but I don't view "dictator" as a bad word in the context of software stuff. Context from the software world, which is where my sandbox idea came from, ...

     Maybe 1% of us on BP come from that background (spent 37 years there myself) and use of sandbox was a dead giveaway to me. The Object Oriented(OOP) terms are manager, controller, viewer.  Terms like Dictator, Tyrant, Magistrate have such political connotations that other usages are almost NIL.  Hopefully, food for thought.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I use followed discussions and followed forums.  It is cumbersome, but it helps.

  • Real Estate Agent and Investor · Westfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Mindy,

    Pocket is great, I also use Evernote with Evernote clipper installed on my browser.  I also email info to my Evernote account and have a real estate notebook set up.

  • Livermore, CA · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Just like Melissa Utzinger , I use Evernote. Actually, I use Evernote for just about everything! I probably use it too much. But it just works; and syncs with all my devices.
  • Investor · Brentwood, CA · Member since 2012 · 139 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    I use Clip to OneNote an extension to Firefox which gives an option for screenshot, save full page, bookmark etc. 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 179 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    One thing I use is the Evernote clipper in Google Chrome.  It allows me to save the articles in "reader" format then I usually hit them with a #NeedToRead tag.  Then, when I'm sitting somewhere like the airport, doctor's office, etc. I can just search for unread articles!

    Best way I've found so far. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I've been using Evernote lately. Very easy to save an article and put it in topic specific notebooks...

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Cruces, NM · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 173 votes
    9y

    I use Google Keep. I created a folder called Real Estate, then sub folders titled 'Rentals,' 'Flipping,' ' General real estate,' etc. When i come across a gem i need to save, I simply copy link and paste in the appropriate folder. Simply clicking on the link takes me back to the article. Best of all, like everything Google, I can access it on any device or desktop!

  • Odessa, TX · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    I take screen shots from my phone and have a separate photo album for them. Gonna have to checkout the app "Pocket" now
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    @Jeff B. I think @Chris Mason was just being facetious and goofing around, thus the ------ through "dictator". :)

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Henderson, NV · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    I use the pocket app to save full articles. Sometimes I copy and paste, or take a screen shot of key points in an article.
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 807 posts · 274 votes
    9y
    I save the articles using the Pocket app
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Since I think I've been one of the more vocal members looking for a "virtual cork board" where I can pin posts, threads. blogs, articles, etc. (grouped in an arbitrary manner that makes sense to me) ... I will confess that I have been maintaining my own "cork board" on one of my internal VMs ... it's cumbersome, but far less maddening than BP's "search" function :-)

    While I'm being a polite nag ... could we also add the ability to arrange our colleagues into a hierarchy of groupings?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.