The BiggerPockets Newsletter: How Can We Improve it?

The BiggerPockets Newsletter: How Can We Improve it?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Hey everyone -
As I'm sure most of you know, we send out a weekly newsletter to 35,000+ people (typically on Sundays) that highlights any important BP News, shares the top new articles on the site, forum posts, and member blogs.

While I believe that we get a relatively decent open rate and response from it, I would like to ask everyone what it is that you would like to see in the newsletter?

Are there any features you'd like it to have?

How can we make this thing better? :wowie:

I hope we could work together to make this thing better/more interesting for all of you.

Please . . . give a bit of feedback!

Thanks, Josh

BTW - Here's a sample newsletter from April to check out.

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2010 · 156 posts · 65 votes
16y

As always Josh you know I like BP and look forward to my multiple daily logons to see what is going on, but in my opinion the Newletter is just kind of there when I look at it.

There seems to be a lot of information that is just kind of put on the newsletter with no real format to make the newsletter appealing. I guess I've always seen newsletters as a marketing tool as well as a method to inform current members.

Also being a tech junkie wouldn't mind seeing recent software reviews for different platforms that deal with real estate.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2010 · 156 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    As always Josh you know I like BP and look forward to my multiple daily logons to see what is going on, but in my opinion the Newletter is just kind of there when I look at it.

    There seems to be a lot of information that is just kind of put on the newsletter with no real format to make the newsletter appealing. I guess I've always seen newsletters as a marketing tool as well as a method to inform current members.

    Also being a tech junkie wouldn't mind seeing recent software reviews for different platforms that deal with real estate.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 76 votes
    16y

    Honestly, I like the newsletter the way it is. It has a ton of content. Unlike most newsletters I get, I spend about 10-20 minutes reading when I get it. I hadn't checked my BP account in probably 6 months and the newsletter got me interested in the site again. Keep it up.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Marcus - I take it you're talking about improving the design and using more graphics. Is that correct? As for doing tech reviews, we'd need to build an editorial team to do things like that.

    I'd love to have people contributing unique brief articles to the newsletter . . . is this something people would like? Would any of you guys be interested in helping with that?

    Tom - There is definitely a lot of info in there . . . I feel as thought there may be a bit too much, honestly. The key is to figure out how to tone it back.

    Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. Keep it coming everyone!

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    I am going to read through the one from April you posted. Do you get signed up automatically for being a member on the site or do you have to register somehow?

    I would like to see some commentary on the new SAFE Act. I could drum up a lot of new membership for you if you have some information on that.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Bryan -
    People are added to the list upon signup or can sign up manually throughout the site.

    As for commentary on the SAFE Act . . . it is a good topic to include in the newsletter, but again, that brings us back to the topic of adding editorial content.

    I'm all about adding fresh timely content to the newsletter, but I'd want to assemble a team of people to help contribute.

    It sounds like people would be interested in seeing this happen.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Bryan -
    People are added to the list upon signup or can sign up manually throughout the site.

    As for commentary on the SAFE Act . . . it is a good topic to include in the newsletter, but again, that brings us back to the topic of adding editorial content.

    I'm all about adding fresh timely content to the newsletter, but I'd want to assemble a team of people to help contribute.

    It sounds like people would be interested in seeing this happen.


    I'll write something for you about it if you would like for me to. I already had an offline conversation about it with a forum member so it seems to be in high demand. We are working on a new site for owner finance deal trading in Austin and with several attorneys to facilitate how to deal with the new law.

    Would this be a blog or an article? I am still not very familiar with all of the site functionality.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 76 votes
    16y

    Josh,

    I'd be willing to assist with content as well.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks for the offers, Bryan and Tom. I'll certainly keep you in mind as we go forward.

    As for everyone else, I tried something different in today's newsletter. Check it out and let me know if the addition of some familiar faces helps brighten up things.
    Memorial Day BP Newsletter: Transactional Funding, Contractors & the IRS

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    16y

    Hi Josh, suggestion:
    Could there be a government information article of some kind? With all the changes going on it would be nice to have a weekly re-cap of legislative actions. The feds are not that busy, so included significant issues at state levels too? Stuff shouldn't be too hard to find.

    Thanks again for a great job! Bill

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    I'd love to have a brief roundup with the latest govt. action that is relevant Bill. Know anyone who might want to handle that?

  • Member since 2010 · 156 posts · 65 votes
    16y

    Josh,

    Yes I was talking about graphics and design, and while I agree with Tom about it being packed with content when I look at it it almost is like looking at a page on the site with small descriptions and a link. I am probably just more used to receiving old school physical news letters and am trying to equate this with that.

    I would be glad to help out in any way. My writing skills need work so I might have to find another way to help out but would be glad to do so.

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2009 · 624 posts · 559 votes
    16y

    Josh, I like the new format. The author pics add a lot in terms of relationship building.

    I like the weekly What's the Government upto... and provided that there is flexibility in the format/media I would be happy to do this for the BP community as I am already doing something very similar via a weekly Current Real Estate Market Update podcast.

    Drop me a line off-line or give me a call to discuss.

    Pete

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2008 · 428 posts · 43 votes
    16y

    Personally I read newsletters that have less html and more content and links or lists. In my own marketing I've found that eliminating pictures and giving all content produces a better click through ratio. Have you tested this yet on your newsletter?

  • Real Estate Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2008 · 742 posts · 463 votes
    16y

    I guess that I will be the only one here, but I personally thnk the Newsletter is a bit too long. I think that it containes a little to much info.

    I am not sure how to "fix" it. I will have to spend some time and actually think.

    I do like that Author Pics. That was an interesting add.

    I will return when I have a constructive reply on how to "fix" things.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2010 · 681 posts · 241 votes
    16y

    Josh,

    I like the newsletter, and find it quickly brings things to my attention that I may have missed during the week. I've also saved several that had relevant links in a Bigger Pockets folder so I can easily refer to them later. I like the addition of the author pics.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    Bryan -
    People are added to the list upon signup or can sign up manually throughout the site.


    Josh, can you please specify where we can sign up for the newsletter? I don't currently get it in my inbox, and would like it. I searched for the preference to turn it on, but am not finding it.
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    Hey Mark - You can do so on our Resources page.

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    16y

    Josh,
    I didn't realize that you didn't have an editorial team. Now I'm even MORE impressed. My wish list would include an interview with an industry mover and shaker. I'm not talking about a pitch from a "guru", but a discussion from someone who actually works in real estate and can give their perspective/story.

    Thanks again,

    Harvie

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 118 posts · 76 votes
    16y

    I like both Pete's and Harvie's ideas. It would be great to see a column about what the government is up to. I don't know where to get information like that so a weekly newsletter would be valuable.

    Also, interviewing some of the people who have the highest influence points and showing the transcripts would be beneficial as well.

    All great ideas in my opinion.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 447 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Harvie Arington:
    My wish list would include an interview with an industry mover and shaker. I'm not talking about a pitch from a "guru", but a discussion from someone who actually works in real estate and can give their perspective/story.


    There is so much content here on BP that often the very thing you wish for already exists!

    Check out the Meet the Investor section:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet-the-investor.html

    :cool:

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    16y

    It sounds like several of you might be interested in helping to contribute some editorial content to the newsletter; that's great!

    What else would you guys want to appear in this thing? We're already promoting important articles, hot forum discussion topics, and BP news.

    What else would make you open the thing up each week?

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Okay...been reading through the newsletter and now I'm pissed because I will be hooked to the site all night tonight again :mrgreen: I don't think I have been able to sleep more than 4 hours a night recently b/c I am soaking up all of the good content!

    As a new user I appreciated your blog Josh. Something in the newsletter to hook some of the 50,000 users back in the increase traffic and idea sharing would be my suggestion. Fresh topics of interest would work the best here...and I am sure there are a ton of people that would spend their valuable time to write content....especially if they could feed it in from their site's blog and get backlinks from it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.