First Deal Flopped...Now What?

First Deal Flopped...Now What?

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes

Have invested time in Bigger Pockets for a year: reading, podcasts, analyzing, drive-arounds, learning, learning, learning. Thought my first deal was done, only to have it fall apart in the eleventh hour.

So many of you pros talk about hard times...but man, it is tough!  And difficult to face up to my rookie mistakes that broke this deal.

I'm not asking for sympathy...but do want advice that will get my face out of this bag of chocolate and put my boots back on the ground so I can find my lost grit.

52Reply
278 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
7y

 You can only learn so much reading and now you are learning while taking action.  That's real progress.  

You learned a whole bunch making rookie mistakes and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Sometime those rookie mistakes are measured in 10's of 1000's of dollars. 

Accept rejection and keep making offers that will work for you.  

See this reply in the discussion

170 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Marcello I.

    You are so right, some things do work out for the best, even if it hurts at the fail point. I'm moving on to the next deal, putting systems and checklists in place, and with a better understanding of taking the long view.

    Thank you so much for the comment...I appreciate it more than you know.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Austin Neal

    I'm printing your quote to put on my office bulletin board.

    "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Rob Milliken

    Thank you for the pep talk...I need it!

    BP has been a turn-around point for me, with other BP'ers giving advice, encouragement, and wisdom about my little setback. It has been incredibly helpful...and I'm grateful to be part of this community.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Craig Clark

    Thank you for the incredibly encouraging post. 

    My favorite: "FEEL...Focus. Educate. Execute. Learn". Exactly what I'm doing. 

    Best wishes to you, as you move along the REI path.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Robert Pfenninger

    Try again...I've heard that over and over in this thread, and I'm grateful it is repeated. I'm putting those words where I will see them every day.

    Thank you for taking the time to post a comment...it is so appreciated.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ablan

    "You got this." Thank you for those words...they are ringing in my head.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Timothy Swenton

    Advice I keep hearing on this thread is to keep going, because there are some wins and there are some losses...and "in the end there will be a great property, a great experience, or both."

    Great words, Timothy...thank you for taking the time to encourage a newbie.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Renee Yarbrough losing a deal is in no way a flop. Its like fishing. You don't have it until its in the boat. You will lose many....some for good reason...some for no reason.

    Wait till you lose 30k on one before you label it a flop.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Lam N.

    Thanks for the great list of advice...ALL great to think about and remember. Am writing them down to review often.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Mark Brogan

    'Time to get to work."  I like this, and am putting it on my bulletin board! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Irish-Jones

    Great advice...I'm writing down "Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Judy Parker

    The thing I did wonderfully right through my first flop is to admit it on a BP forum. 

    The encouragement, education, advice, hand-holding, and kick-in-the-pants was needed to set me back on the path.

    Thank you for taking the time to encourage...I appreciate it more than you know.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Justin Rank

    Thank you for taking the time to reply to my first flop post. You are right...other than a few dollars, the only thing lost was time.

    But the education gain was unbelievable...and now I see that. Worth every penny lost/spent.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Michael Gansberg

    "Learn what caused the deal to fall apart and learn from it." So many investors have shared the same advice, so I'm creating a checklist for deals.

    Thank you for taking the time to post on this thread. I appreciate it more than you know.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Sam Shueh

    Great advice, Sam! 

    "After some experience, you know what you want, with whom you wish to deal, what price to offer, and when to get into a contract."

    This is going on my bulletin board! Thank you for taking the time to post on this thread. I appreciate it so very much.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Isaac Johnson

    So true, Isaac! Well, I'm on my way!

     How to be successful: make the right decision.             How to make the right decision: experience.                  How to get experience: make the wrong decision.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Ken B.

    Thank you very much for taking the time to encourage and educate. I really like "Keep at it and take notes, good and bad."

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    It’s only a failure if you fail to learn from it.

    Just because the deal didn’t work out doesn’t mean you aren’t a better investor because of it. Get out there and find the the next deal! Good luck!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Michael Malone

    Thanks, Michael! I'm so grateful for all of you BP'ers pushing me to get up, dust off, and start walking again. It's been a wonderful blessing to have a place to receive advice, encouragement, and a kick in the pants.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Bryan Lyde

    Quality advice. Your comments on other posts show knowledge and expertise, two things I'm interested in acquiring. Thank you for taking the time to post on this thread.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.