Felt Weird Listening to Ed Mylett Episode

Felt Weird Listening to Ed Mylett Episode

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes

To start, I’m not someone that can take their thoughts and feelings and convey them in a helpful way. Literally last week my wife asked how I felt about something and I said I got the same good feeling I got another time and I can’t describe it but I felt good in my chest. So yeah, maybe someone can help me here.

But as I was listening to episode 433 it felt gross (?) hearing them talk about wealth and success that way. For some personal context, I was driving back from a remote lake house deal and was passing mobile home after mobile home of some of the poorest Americans I know. Many working much harder than I ever will by nature of my privilege.

And as I’m driving past these people and these homes I’m hearing rich white guys talk about how generous and kind and peaceful their other rich friends are. And how success changes you to become a better person. And it just didn’t sit right.

I get the names of the guys confused so I apologize but at one point the guy that use to be a cop says “frankly you want what that person has and you didn’t want to have to go through the work”. Which I felt was so demeaning to so many people haha. I’m so proud of him and his ability to get to the level of financial success he has had but the idea that hard work = prosperity in the binary way it was presented seems like an opinion of the privileged. All of this hard work talk was made pretty ironic when moments later the Ed talked about helping his 18-year-old son complete his first deal. I have no doubt that Ed’s son did a lot of hard work to make that deal happen. But already Ed’s son has more wealth and career success than some of those people I passed in those homes will ever have in their lives.

Maybe I’m alone in this feeling and maybe no one will read this or maybe a bunch of people will fire back with wise questions or quick statements that I can’t have good responses to. But that’s how I felt and I debated not sharing anything but that felt worse than listening and not saying anything. All-in-all I would just hope to spur this show I like to speak with gentleness, wisdom and humility and gives great value to all people. And I hope we listen with grace. Thanks for the show guys. 




0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    A lot of people feel the same way you do. They are the people who grew up and were told that money is "Bad". That being rich will make you a bad person. That there is some sort of moral sin to be doing well. There are a lot of people in my family who feel that way. All of them are poor and they blame others for their financial problems.

    This is a real estate investing platform. A lot of the people here are business minded people who want to achieve financial success. A lot of people, including myself, have built large amounts of wealth through their hard work. If you listened to the entire episode they actually discussed this very topic in the episode. 

    If discussing wealth is a taboo topic for you, you need to look into yourself and ask why. Why are you upset that these other people are doing well? 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the reply and for reading my thoughts. I did listen to the episode but maybe got stuck on the specific 5 minute portion mentioned above.

    Wealth is far from a taboo topic for me. For more context I served as a missionary to the college campuses for 6 years. It would be near impossible for any topic to be taboo and have any sort of impact in the lives of young adults.

    Regarding your last question I’m not sure I made that assertion, but again, I’m not great at communicating sometimes so maybe it came across that way unintentionally.

    I hope more people chime in. I did take time to reflect “did I think or do I think money or people with money are bad” and I think potentially in my teenage years I saw some of those thoughts and then around 23 I saw a shift as I experienced amazing generosity as a missionary and made more relationships with people far in their careers. But I don’t believe that’s what I’m saying in my post either. My post was mainly focused on an acute awareness that the men in this podcast were speaking to people that were very much like them and would agree with them or are like them already or have hope to be like them. And I just wonder if they had a much more general population audience, that included some of the poorest of the poor and most oppressed people and disabled and beat down, etc if they would say those statements to their faces or into their homes.


  • Real Estate Agent · Ava, MO · Member since 2022 · 31 posts · 45 votes
    4y

    I kinda want to give you a swift kick in the rear because you need some tough love. First off, don't be racist. If Ed Mylett was black would you be ok with his success? Get over that. That bull has been drilled into you and, honestly, the whole white privelege concept brings down more black people than actual racism (which exists, but I find exists with all people...like my husband's Japanese friends don't trust his Chinese friends). I live surrounded by EXTREME poverty in Southern Missouri and there is a correlation between poverty and addiction. My family and I are living in a real sh** hole, working our butts off to fix it up. No matter what color you are, if you choose to work full time and then come home and keep working, then you will succeed. Ed Mylett is so rad. I cried when I first listened to him. I came from drug and alcohol addicted parents and lived in extreme poverty. We are white. Where is my white privilege? I have known hunger. Where was my white privilege? My parents smoked and drank it all I guess. My feeling is that you have maybe had a cush life. Regardless of your color, perhaps you dont know about the struggle. The struggle is colorblind my friend. If you are a bit of a spoiled brat then you don't see what Ed Mylett did for his son was bare fricking bones. Ed is on his way to being a billionaire and he invested with his son on $160,000 property. That is the equivalent of your folks helping you invest in a gumball machine. And you cry "white privilege"?! Man, you don't even have eyes to see. I am trying to figure out where you are coming from. Either your parents spoiled you and didn't make you work hard enough (and then poisoned you with some race narrative), or you are feeling like a victim because of what you came from. Either mindset is FRUITLESS. Why are you here? If you think this is just some rich white boy hangout then why are you here? This is for people who want to rise out of the struggle, regardless of their color and background. Maybe you are in the wrong saloon. Sorry for my brashness, but you pissed me off. I didn't think I would have to read low level thinking like this here. I hope I got through to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.