My father recently passed away and I'm helping my mom close down a Mobile Home Park in Las Vegas, NV. Unfortunately we can't keep it running as a Mobile Home park due to a lapse in business license which led to our conditional use permit being revoked (our zoning is H-2 Highway Frontage most uses require conditional use permit) and the grandfathering of property being revoked.
The county commissioner isn't supportive of a non-conforming zone change thus the only option is to shut down the Mobile Home Park.
Code Enforcement is requiring that I remove all of the mobile homes from the property. We have around 47 older homes that need work. I have never completed this process before so any advice is greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in purchasing the mobile homes and moving them off the property, please message me.
CPA · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 413 posts · 258 votes
4y
@Clayton Elliott - I'm sorry to hear about your father and your mobile home park troubles. Have you discussed your situation with an attorney? Maybe some local attorneys specializing in zoning might have an alternative solution you haven't explored. I wish you the best in dealing with this.
CPA · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 413 posts · 258 votes
4y
@Clayton Elliott - I'm sorry to hear about your father and your mobile home park troubles. Have you discussed your situation with an attorney? Maybe some local attorneys specializing in zoning might have an alternative solution you haven't explored. I wish you the best in dealing with this.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
4y
@Clayton Elliott You may want to try to contact other local mobile home park owners to see if they're looking for other homes to fill their parks. Another option is to put them up for auction but that may take time. Feel free to DM me if you need any other input or advice. Hope that helps!
@Clayton Elliott - I'm sorry to hear about your father and your mobile home park troubles. Have you discussed your situation with an attorney? Maybe some local attorneys specializing in zoning might have an alternative solution you haven't explored. I wish you the best in dealing with this.
Jason, I have spoken with several attorneys and they said I didn't have many options other than getting a non-conforming zoning change which the county commissioner was not supportive of.
I'm going to be selling the property as raw land.
As a comp I found out that a parcel adjacent to my property sold July of 2021. It's a 0.97 acres parcel, $368,000 with the same zoning as my property (H-2 Highway Frontage).
On the other side of me is a 6.45 acre parcel also for sale though I don't know the price.
If I'm shutting down my Mobile Home Park then a developer could come in and purchase all three parcels and make a fairly large project.
Do you have a spreadsheet outlining the pertinent details about the homes available for sale?
What are the age ranges for the homes?
I am building my spreadsheet. The homes range in age from 60s-80s. Lots of the data plates have long been painted over or are no longer with the homes so we've been looking for the Vin Numbers stamped on the frame of the homes.
If you're interested we can talk some more and I can send you some pictures and other information.
@Clayton Elliott You may want to try to contact other local mobile home park owners to see if they're looking for other homes to fill their parks. Another option is to put them up for auction but that may take time. Feel free to DM me if you need any other input or advice. Hope that helps!
I definitely will be calling local mobile home parks. I haven't done anything with an auction before so I would need to do some research on that process. I'll connect with you in the the DMs. Thank you.
Real Estate Consultant · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 201 votes
4y
@Clayton Elliott Sorry to hear about your situation. There is a facebook group called Mobile Home Investing Full time where most members are mobile home wholesalers/investors. Then another group called MHP Tribe where most members are park owners. You can join both groups to see if someone might be able to help you sell/move the homes. Another good site to post is Mobile Home University forum, to see if there are nearby park owners that looking for infill.
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 410 posts · 295 votes
4y
Hey all,
Clayton, I really regret to hear about your father's passing. I'm sorry to hear about this lost your family and now the headaches you're having from the city. The city can suck-it for not working with you to keep the status of the park active. I am almost certain the city council could not wait for a reason to get rid of your family's park. Side tangent: city's talk a big game about affordable housing however mobile home parks are some of the last non-subsidize types of affordable housing. Even if the city worked with you to make the park look better or pay higher taxes, that would be preferable to losing the status as a park and having to get rid of all these homes and/or kick everyone out.
With all that said I partly hope there are not too many residents that will need to move. In other areas of the country this may be a bit easier to dispose of the homes. However Las Vegas is a bit of an island surrounded by not much else for a while. There were some good suggestions made about reaching out to local parks, however I'm sure that word is getting around already about the park going out of business. Another good suggestion was getting the word out via mobile home/park investor specific Facebook groups. Perhaps a local reservation would be in need of them. I will also link this thread to a private Facebook group I run that may be helpful. Placing the homes for sale for free locally and not so locally via Craigslist and Facebook will let a good majority of people see what you have available. Perhaps a local mover may be interested in taking these homes and moving them to vacant land they have.
Depending on the ages and sizes of these homes it will certainly be easier to get rid of some versus others. If you have to dispose of these you may be looking at $3000 or more per mobile home.
You may get approached by people wanting to keep them in state or move them out of the state or country. I wish that I had a magic bullet solution for you however I hope this helps some. All the best.
Real Estate Agent · Grand Junction, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
4y
@Clayton Elliott mobile homes stamped prior to June 15, 1976 and without a HUD plate or HUD record are considered "pre-HUD". This makes lending extremely difficult to find. Many mobile home parks will not accept pre-HUD models. Also, even HUD approved homes that have been moved more than once (ie: from the factory to the first site) will then be difficult to finance. In my county you are not allowed to relocate a pre-HUD home from one spot to another. The odds are really stacked against this type of affordable housing. You need to find out the regulations for your general area. The good news is that these retro homes are seeing a comeback. If you can find areas that support the relocation you may find takers. Hopefully the homes still have their axles and tongues. Here in Colorado they have also passed some regulations that make it easier for park residents to buy their park as opposed to facing eviction. If you have a "community" with a few strong leaders you may be able to bully the Commissioners (shouldn't have to do this but...) and make a little public stink about losing their homes. Vulnerable older woman, small paperwork lapse, etc...