Mobile homes as rentals?

Mobile homes as rentals?

Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am buying a mobile home this Saturday and have a couple of potential buyers lined up to do a Lonnie deal. Finally, my first success!

The park owner I met with said another man is trying to sell his home in the park as well. It is a 3/2, 10 years old, and apparently very nice and in good condition. I have not seen it yet.

He lives in another state and has it rented for 800 a month. The lot rent is $350 (including sewer and trash). He said the tenant will sign a new lease if he sells it. He is asking 12k, but I am hoping to get it for 9 or 10k.

What type of expense reserves should I factor in? The renters are a couple with no children. He said they were only late on the rent one time in two years and he thinks they will be happy to live there a while longer.

I feel like this should be a good deal however I cannot find much information on people holding mobile homes. As soon as these tenants left unless I found other quality ones I would sell it, holding the note.

Thanks

Eric

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

I lived in mobile homes a lot growing up and my first 4 places I lived after getting married were mobile homes. I am part owner of 1 now. The biggest drawbacks are higher maintenance, they go down in value not up, and they are very vulnerable to damage from neglect. Frozen pipes due to a very cold snap or skirting problem can cost you $5K very fast. Keep on top of maintenance as a roof leak or loose piece of siding could also cost several thousand dollars if not caught quick. They are good starter homes but require more vigilance than houses. Floors are usually particle board and a leak can cause you to have to replace the floor of a bathroom if not caught immediately.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric F.

    I bought some land parcels with mobile homes on them. Each parcel has 1 mobile home. We do not own the mobiles and collect rent for the land. One of the home owners has been there 30 years and had several different mobile homes, now having a new double wide. They told me that they are never moving. Seems like perfect tenants. They are responsible for all house repairs as I don't own the mobiles, and they pay rent for the land only.

  • Lady Lake, FL · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Speaking of particle board (which Jerry mentioned in an earlier post), do standards now require that floors be made of plywood rather than particle board, and if so, when did those standards change (i.e., when would be the latest year in which particle board could still be used)? Or can floors still be made of particle board, even to this day? Thanks to everyone for all your most helpful comments!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.