Mobile homes as rentals?

Mobile homes as rentals?

Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am buying a mobile home this Saturday and have a couple of potential buyers lined up to do a Lonnie deal. Finally, my first success!

The park owner I met with said another man is trying to sell his home in the park as well. It is a 3/2, 10 years old, and apparently very nice and in good condition. I have not seen it yet.

He lives in another state and has it rented for 800 a month. The lot rent is $350 (including sewer and trash). He said the tenant will sign a new lease if he sells it. He is asking 12k, but I am hoping to get it for 9 or 10k.

What type of expense reserves should I factor in? The renters are a couple with no children. He said they were only late on the rent one time in two years and he thinks they will be happy to live there a while longer.

I feel like this should be a good deal however I cannot find much information on people holding mobile homes. As soon as these tenants left unless I found other quality ones I would sell it, holding the note.

Thanks

Eric

0Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

I lived in mobile homes a lot growing up and my first 4 places I lived after getting married were mobile homes. I am part owner of 1 now. The biggest drawbacks are higher maintenance, they go down in value not up, and they are very vulnerable to damage from neglect. Frozen pipes due to a very cold snap or skirting problem can cost you $5K very fast. Keep on top of maintenance as a roof leak or loose piece of siding could also cost several thousand dollars if not caught quick. They are good starter homes but require more vigilance than houses. Floors are usually particle board and a leak can cause you to have to replace the floor of a bathroom if not caught immediately.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    I can't give you a specific response to your question, but I will share with you my experience owning and renting a mobile home. Mine is very old (1981), and it is a rehab, but it has insane cashflow. My space rent is 410 and I rent it out for 1100. I paid 24k for it. The only problem with it is that it is old. I have replaced several runs of poly plumbing which is junk. I replaced the carpet. I have dealt with roof leaks. I needed to do some exterior repair. I also had an electrical issue I had to call an electrician for. Granted, this is over a 3 year period which still makes me profitable, but I worry about re-sale... I think this is one of the biggest problems with MH investing. Places age much quicker and don't appreciate considerably (if it all) with value. The other issue with MHs is you will get lower "quality" tenants, so screen carefully.

  • Real Estate Investor · Davenport, IA · Member since 2013 · 71 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    I am on my first MH right now and think my strategy is to purchase the MH, make repairs as needed, rent the MH for the first year to recoup some dollars, then ponder the idea of selling it in year two. If my first year tenants worked out well and decided to renew for a second term, I would hold off on the sale. I have my tenants selected and they move in November 1st, so we will see how all of this goes : )

    I am still perplexed on the SAFE Act, so I am wanting to make sure I am staying within compliance before attempting the sale of the MH, as seller financing was a huge key in this side of the business.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I lived in mobile homes a lot growing up and my first 4 places I lived after getting married were mobile homes. I am part owner of 1 now. The biggest drawbacks are higher maintenance, they go down in value not up, and they are very vulnerable to damage from neglect. Frozen pipes due to a very cold snap or skirting problem can cost you $5K very fast. Keep on top of maintenance as a roof leak or loose piece of siding could also cost several thousand dollars if not caught quick. They are good starter homes but require more vigilance than houses. Floors are usually particle board and a leak can cause you to have to replace the floor of a bathroom if not caught immediately.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the input everyone. @Troy Bevans we seem to have the same ideas.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I'd have to echo Jerry's advice, very spot on!

    Mobile homes as rentals can be done. Though, it will require a lot of monitoring and education on your part as well as your tenants. Grey pipe is a big issue which will add to your plumbing costs in the long run. I've been lucky to pick up homes that have been completely and/or mostly switched over to PVC due to prior issues with grey pipe with previous sellers.

    The other big issue can be wood siding (as Jerry mentioned) which will need to be monitored on a regular basis. Boards tend to get loose due to weather conditions and normal wear and tear. Placing them properly as well as resealing when necessary will deter moisture and water issues in the future. Without proper maintenance, this can be detrimental to the structural integrity of the home. I just passed on a home that had this problem as well as roof damage. It was not a good sight as water had started to seep into the walls as well as the floors. The cost to repair all the issues was more than the value of the home.

    If you're buying homes with window a/c units, it's best to make sure they are placed properly. Many times homeowners tend to place them just on top of the window causing the water from the condensation to flow down the side of the home damaging the siding (if wood). The water must be directed away from the home.

    All in all, there are issues with mobile homes when it comes to basic home maintenance. The key is knowing these issues and how to solve the problem beforehand. If you're new to this niche, you may want to invest in a good mobile home repair manual which will help you to know and spot these problems.There are several out there on the market. I use mine as a reference tool when these issues arise.

    Hope this helps!

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    @Rachel H. Any particular repair guide you would recommend?

    I will check the wood, AC, and pipes as you mentioned. This one has Central Air but also a window mounted AC unit as they spent most of their time in one room and just used that.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I use the The Manual for Manufactured/Mobile Home Repair and Upgrade and Your Mobile Home: Energy and Repair Guide for Manufactured Housing for reference. Both are excellent texts. I've also heard good things about the Foremost Guide. Though, I have not used it personally. Hope that helps!

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    @Rachel H. Thanks I will order both of those. Your website is also great.

    Eric

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    I stuck an agreement to buy the 3/2 for 9k contingent upon the tenant signing a new year lease at $800 a month. The park owner said the tenant has been there for at least 3 years and never caused a problem. There was one late pay like a year ago according to the owner but aside from that it has been fine. I plan on renting until this tenant is gone and then selling. $800 a month minus 350 lot rent (so 450 after) should still net good cash flow.

    We are planning on doing the deal next Friday. I never mentioned what to do with the month's rent (assume it is paid the first) and the security deposit, but they should both transfer over, right?

    The other one I bought for 4k and am trying to sell now with owner financing (or for cash obviously). I have a person interested in renting at $650 but after lot rent that is only 300 before any rent. I'd rather sell owner financed or for more cash.

    I've been reading this site forever, it is good things are finally happening.

    thanks

    Eric

  • Real Estate Investor · Trinity, FL · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Congrats @Eric F.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    12y

    Congrats Eric, on both deals!

    Andrew

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric F.

    imho, you're on the right track doing Lonnie deals, forget the rentals, sell the mobile, take payments and move on to the next deal. If you haven't read Lonnies 3 books, you should.

    By selling and not renting you pass all future maintenance and depreciation on to the buyer, that will save you time and money.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    @Andrew S. Two mobile homes in one weekend is great, now if only I can find a house to live in myself haha.

    @David Krulac I understand that, but with a renter at 800 already in place I am comfortable buying it. I will turn it into a lonnie deal when the renter moves out.

  • Engineer · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 144 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    Congrats @Eric F. - you've inspired me to take a drive to the mobile home area's here.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Eric,

    You paid $4K sell it for $5K for a quick sale.

    Joe Gore

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Eric F.

    I would also recommend that if you haven't read Lonnie Scruggs' two book on mobile homes that you beg, borrow, or buy them and read them cover to cover. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and there was no more honest, down to earth man that I ever met.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Sold it for 7k yesterday! Works for me.

    I buy the one I plan on holding as a rental this Friday. And I got my offer accepted on my future personal residence this week! Too bad every weekend doesn't work out this well for me.

  • Sandston, VA · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Eric F. Congrats on the two MH deals. I am in the Richmond, VA area and am looking to eventually get into MH investing as a entry into real estate investing. I am in the learning stage now so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge on this niche as possible. I have been hearing alot about 'Lonnie Deals' so I am certainly going to check out some of his writings. I just have one questions for you s well as the BP Community that had recently been bugging me. In what way would the SAFE Act impact an invested using a lease/option strategy to sell MH in Virginia?
  • Engineer · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 144 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @Eric F. - Congrats again, sounds like you're having a great week so far.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    @Bryan Thomas The first thing you need to do is get Lonnie Scruggs book Deals on Wheels and read it at least two times. Some of the stuff has legally changed but there is a reason you can't click a mobile home thread without seeing it brought up. If you have any interest in mobile homes just go to Amazon right now and order it. No reason to wait.

    I did a ton of reading and bsing around "learning" but if I had a time machine I'd tell myself

    1) Get Lonnie's book, read it two times.

    2)Go to my man @John Fedro 's website http://www.mobilehomeinvesting.net and read everything on it, watch his videos, etc.

    3) Drive to every park within 30 miles of your house and figure out which ones you would buy in.

    I spent a lot more time "learning" but it was wasted time. Truthfully, after going through this forum and reading most threads with over 10 replies, reading John's website, and reading Deals on Wheels I was ready and you will be two.

    I have two homes under my belt and am ready for more.

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    Oh, also, I went to @Sam Parkins and @Marc Faulkner* profiles and read every post they made about mobile homes. I probably did this for other posters as well, but I know I did it for them and @John Fedro .

    *I can't get the @ thing to work with him

  • John FedroPro Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 410 posts · 295 votes
    12y

    Hi all,

    Congratulations on the deals going through Eric! We are all proud of you here! This business takes ambition, guts, and effort. Don't slow down or quit talking to sellers and marketing yourself. Every weekend can be as exciting if you stay active with appointments, making offers, and advertising. Hope this makes sense and helps. Here to help, as we all are. Great job again.

    Talk soon,

    John Fedro

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    12y

    To update this, my original sale for 7k fell through, and I was really bummed out about it, but I resold the home to a young couple with a baby who were super excited for the opportunity to own their own house. Everything finalized two weeks ago and in the last week I got a check from both mobile homes (rent check from 1 and an installment payment on the one I sold). After all the reading, hard work, wasted time, and even a tiny amount of negative thoughts things have worked out.

    I never lost faith but it is a lot more fun to see the money actually come. Reality is always more fun than theories!

  • John FedroPro Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 410 posts · 295 votes
    12y

    Congratulations Eric!! The hard work has paid off. More so than the money you will and have earned is the hard work and determination you proved to yourself and the world that you can make this business work. Well done and great attitude. Go out and continue to do this and continue to help sellers and buyers.

    All the best,

    John Fedro

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Great to hear Eric, congrats!

    One thing I learned when first starting out was to take note of how folks found out about the homes (what types of marketing worked) and the types of people I decided to work with. Remembering this information for future deals definitely helped.

    Nice update, thanks for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.