Is Your Website Leading the Regulators to Your Door?

Is Your Website Leading the Regulators to Your Door?

Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes

Most community operators and most retailers now have, and depend on websites to drive traffic to their leasing and sales operations. No matter how an operator feels about them, websites are necessary when dealing with the public. It is also true, the better the website, the better the response, and there are a plethora of web site gurus out there offering services to those who need them. While there are truly amazing resources available, none of them seem to be really equipped to handle the nuances behind the content without the help and involvement of the community or retailer themselves.

This is especially true when dealing with the laws and the rules promulgated by the various state and federal agencies. Website gurus don’t usually know these rules and the advice offered by some is just plain bad. It is the owner’s job to know what can and cannot be said, and insist on it being done correctly.

It is an absolute and indisputable fact that the FTC and the CFPB, as well as a number of state regulators, have discovered how cheap and easy it is to wander through websites looking for easy prey. They have done it, they are continuing to do it, and from their perspective, it makes perfect sense. They need only spend a few hours time of a lower paid employee to discover a retailer or community owner whose website declares, “Financing Available” to open a case that may earn them thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars worth of fines. It is a no brainer for them, and that is why they are doing it.

When they knock on the door using the advertising violations as their entree, their main meal could easily be compliance violations tied to retailing or seller finance. They can also go back years looking for violations if they chose to do so, so the fines and penalties can mount up to staggering amounts.

Over the last six years as this newsletter has preached the need for compliance, one of the most frequent questions has been, “How are they going to find me?”. This is normally followed by, “I’m just a small operator so I am too hard to find”. Perhaps the quickest answer to that question is - through your website.

The regulators do not have to be in Rolla, Missouri to view your website. A website can be viewed from anywhere in the world where there is internet access. Certain undocumented folk, using a translation page have found the communities they want to live in from an internet cafe in Central America, so certainly the regulators can find a retailer or community making advertising claims about financing they are prohibited by law from making.

From a regulator’s perspective, the entity that is willing to violate the rules on advertising financing, is likely willing to violate or ignore other rules as well. To them that simply means an easy victory over the entity and a quick goldmine in fines and penalties. So, why would any community operator or retailer paint a target on their back?

Reasons for Not Doing What Should be Done on Websites

  • Uneducated to the Law and Rules that are in Place.
  • Mistaken Belief that No One Can or Will Watch Them.
  • Fear that Sales will Drop if Financing is not Advertised.
  • Underestimating the Importance of Allocating the Time and Money necessary to Fix the Problem.
  • These are the most common reasons, but certainly there are others. What is known is that the regulators are already moving through the internet and making a list and checking it twice for later action. When Santa does that the worst a kid can expect is coal, but retailers and community owners can expect much worse.

    This article is being reprinted from the April 2014 The Finance Newsletter and was authored by employees of The Rishel Group, a national consultancy on chattel finance and seller finance. It is being reprinted with the express written permission of The Rishel Group


    3Reply
    23 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    Good info to share @Ken Rishel. Dodd Frank certainly hasn't made life too easy either.

    See this reply in the discussion

    12 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
      10y

      Good info to share @Ken Rishel. Dodd Frank certainly hasn't made life too easy either.

    • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 45 votes
      10y

      I see you always posting these long winded diatribes, but are you able to point to specific instances of a mobile home park operator being prosecuted for said infractions? Or do your journals and articles not bother to look at that data?

    • Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Nathan W.:

      I see you always posting these long winded diatribes, but are you able to point to specific instances of a mobile home park operator being prosecuted for said infractions? Or do your journals and articles not bother to look at that data?

       I'm sorry you dislike my posts. Others find them educational. Many of the articles in the newsletter do contain information about problems some operators are having with regulators. This particular article had written requests from 18 state associations to reprint in their own newsletters at the time it appeared, so they must have felt it had value for their members.

      It is too bad you were not at the recent Annual Meeting in Virginia Beach of the Virginia Manufactured and Modular Housing Association where I was the featured speaker. You might have developed a different opinion of what I do and why I do it. For that matter, there was considerable discussion at the recent Annual George Allen Roundtable in Nashville, Tennessee about community owners being caught, fined, and prosecuted by attorneys and community owners alike.

    • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
      10y

      Little brash and abrupt for a friendly platform wouldn't you say @Nathan W.?  I found @Ken Rishel's information very interesting if not timely to my particular situation. In this world of too much information and the need for attention to detail I personally like getting as much information as I can on any given subject; especially if it might impact or influence my personal financial situation which this does. 

    • Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

      Little brash and abrupt for a friendly platform wouldn't you say @Nathan W.?  I found @Ken Rishel's information very interesting if not timely to my particular situation. In this world of too much information and the need for attention to detail I personally like getting as much information as I can on any given subject; especially if it might impact or influence my personal financial situation which this does. 

       Thanks John. It is interesting that Nathan W seems to be interested in acquiring turnaround properties as this is the number one thing that leads community investors to investing the time and money into doing seller finance correctly and legally. The great majority of our community owner clients are using related finance companies as a tool to buy low occupancy communities and fill and modernize them thus making major changes in the values of the communities they acquire.

      I wonder how he intends to do it? 

    • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
      10y

      No prob @Ken Rishel. No need for snark here. BTW, while I've got your attention. How does the MHI work with 1031's?

    • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 45 votes
      10y

      It was just a simple question, not saying I don't like your posts.  Thanks for your resume. 

      So no instances of regulators using websites to track down and prosecute MPH owners then?

    • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 45 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

      Little brash and abrupt for a friendly platform wouldn't you say @Nathan W.?  I found @Ken Rishel's information very interesting if not timely to my particular situation. In this world of too much information and the need for attention to detail I personally like getting as much information as I can on any given subject; especially if it might impact or influence my personal financial situation which this does. 

      That's fair. I'm sure everyone can glean good information from various sources.  I am always just skeptical when someone who has obvious financial interests in whipping up fear and uncertainty spends such a great amount of bandwidth coming into a forum whipping up fear and uncertainty.

      Maybe some people actually need to shell out a bunch of dough to "experts" to put a "compliance monitoring program" in place or to have them review the legalese of their websites, and maybe it makes them feel better knowing that even if nobody has ever been prosecuted for the things they are paying money to address, it is still a good investment.  I can't speak for others, but the only time I see these types of issues being brought up are from people that have a financial interest in doing so.

    • Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes
      10y

      Actually there have been several hundred incidents that our company is aware of. There could be many others we are not aware of as we rely on what people report to us, or what ends up in the subscription legal feeds because of court actions. They have been reported in our newsletters and in meetings as we become aware of them.

      I choose to do some posting here because I believe it is important that the mostly smaller operators that read and post here need to be aware that "flying under the radar" is a dangerous choice. For the most part most of them do not belong to either the national nor their state associations and do not attend major industry events where this kind of information is routinely shared. I neither have the time nor inclination to spend very much of my time engaged on this or any other forum so often what I post is a short version of what I share with clients and customers. If you think these posts are long winded, you would hate the in depth materials we supply to clients.

      One last thought on this old topic of who has been caught - Would you publicly acknowledge being caught and fined if you did not have to? Most operators who have been caught do everything they can to avoid any such public knowledge, so lots of information goes unreported.

    • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2014 · 140 posts · 45 votes
      10y

      Yeah but I just thought there might be a news article, like the one recently where the community got shut down because of Fair Housing Act violations, or maybe some verifiable tangible incidents where someone who had a website got busted for doing something wrong due to that website.  Especially since, as you state, it is now "absolute and indisputable fact".  

      Thanks for your time.

    • Specialist · Springfield, IL · Member since 2011 · 700 posts · 479 votes
      10y
      Originally posted by @Nathan W.:
      Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

      Little brash and abrupt for a friendly platform wouldn't you say @Nathan W.?  I found @Ken Rishel's information very interesting if not timely to my particular situation. In this world of too much information and the need for attention to detail I personally like getting as much information as I can on any given subject; especially if it might impact or influence my personal financial situation which this does. 

      That's fair. I'm sure everyone can glean good information from various sources.  I am always just skeptical when someone who has obvious financial interests in whipping up fear and uncertainty spends such a great amount of bandwidth coming into a forum whipping up fear and uncertainty.

      Maybe some people actually need to shell out a bunch of dough to "experts" to put a "compliance monitoring program" in place or to have them review the legalese of their websites, and maybe it makes them feel better knowing that even if nobody has ever been prosecuted for the things they are paying money to address, it is still a good investment.  I can't speak for others, but the only time I see these types of issues being brought up are from people that have a financial interest in doing so.

       Nathan - May I ask the following questions?

      You refer to the word experts in quotes. That would imply you have a definition of expert that you feel that I do not fit. Could you share your definition?

      You apparently believe that no one with obvious financial interest should post on a subject they might (or might not) benefit from. Does that mean that all paid professionals should remain silent in any forums on topics they are experienced and knowledgable about because it may, or may not, be self serving? Should surgeons abstain from commenting about the potential dangers of cancer? Or, should they only comment after a substantial portion of the population dies from cancer, and only if they list at least some of the victims by name?

      More in line with what appears to be your thinking, have you also read the hundreds of posts I have made here on topics not related to seller finance or compliance. If my goal in posting here was simply about making money, why would I spend the time to answer forum questions on topics I have no chance of making money from?

      On the subject of fear mongering. Since the CFPB and many other agencies that affect community owners and retailers have published material making it clear that those subject to the laws and rules they are responsible to enforce must have a compliance management system or risk being adjudged a scofflaw and subject to even more serious fines, penalties, and punishments, why is it wrong to relate that in this forum. To properly set up a system is a requirement of law - to not do so is considered a violation of the law by regulators. How is it fear mongering to inform people of something that is the truth?

      Over 6,000 community owners and retailers have worked with us to set up a Compliance Management System including the largest community owner group, ELS, right down to many community owners with 50 sites. Given there are only about 20,000 community owners in the country I think that qualifies as more than "some people" without including numbers of people that sought some other source for help.

      The national trade association, MHI, has spent considerable time and effort educating their members on this issue, as have most of the various state trade associations. In the members only section pages of many state association websites you will find Rishel Consulting Group listed as the, or one of the, recommended sources of information and help on compliance management systems. 

      You say you have seen my resume, but I doubt it. I was the first person in our industry (and one of the few) to try to keep chattel lending out of the model SAFE Act. I was active in getting the word out to others to try to build the help necessary to keep it out of the proposed model legislation. The same would be true for the Dodd-Frank Act. Myself and Tim Williams from 21st Mortgage were the only two people who pushed for an industry task force on the Dodd-Frank Act and we were the first to pledge money and legal talent to that task force. All of this is common knowledge in the manufactured housing industry.

      I dislike all these regulations that hamstring our industry as much as anyone in the industry. The difference perhaps is that I am a businessman and I realize the costs of being compliant and legal are worth the cost when measured against the potential risks as opposed to pretending the risk does not exist. I feel I have an obligation to the industry, including the smaller players, to make sure they are at least aware of the risks, and that there are intellegent solutions should they choose to seek them.

    • Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 331 posts · 252 votes
      10y

      @Ken Rishel Lots of us like your posts Ken! Keep up the good work.

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.