Insurance for moving mobile homes

Insurance for moving mobile homes

Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 200 votes

Is there an insurance for moving mobile homes? I heard couple stories about mobile homes breaking in half during transportation. Is there a way to protect yourself? 

0Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
9y

The very first thing you should do is hire an experienced MH hauler aka "Totter" and ask to see a copy of his PL&PD auto insurance as well as his liability insurance. If he isn't able to show you any verification I'd keep looking until you find one that can.

Hauling MH's aka "Wobbly Boxes" down the road at 60 to 70 MPH (as most totters do) is risky biz. I've represented many clients who've been involved with accident related damages caused by tire blowouts, traffic accidents, road damage, et.al.

Equally as important are the knock down and set up crews. Be it a single wide or a multi section MH there is always quite a bit of preparation preparing a floor for shipment and installing it on the other side.

Additionally, what a lot of newbies don't know is that MH's develop their own characteristics (personalities) after sitting and settling in one spot for a long time and do not always just sit on a new pad or fit (marry) naturally back together whence reset. There will usually be quite a bit of tweaking and wracking involved in order to get all the doors, floors, windows, etc to work as they once did or should on a new pad.

Most importantly, however, do know that once a MH has been moved from its original SITUS it will no longer qualify for a conventional loan in most cases. So if your plan is to buy it and move it onto a spot for yourself and you plan to rent it out or live in it yourself no problem. But if and when the time comes that you want to secure a long term conventional loan on it you'll be pretty much out of luck with most conventional lenders.

Lastly, if you're planning to put it into a rental MHC also realize that many if not most MHC's are reluctant to accepting MH's that are over 10 years old; especially if they are PRE HUD MH's built before June 15, 1976.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    The very first thing you should do is hire an experienced MH hauler aka "Totter" and ask to see a copy of his PL&PD auto insurance as well as his liability insurance. If he isn't able to show you any verification I'd keep looking until you find one that can.

    Hauling MH's aka "Wobbly Boxes" down the road at 60 to 70 MPH (as most totters do) is risky biz. I've represented many clients who've been involved with accident related damages caused by tire blowouts, traffic accidents, road damage, et.al.

    Equally as important are the knock down and set up crews. Be it a single wide or a multi section MH there is always quite a bit of preparation preparing a floor for shipment and installing it on the other side.

    Additionally, what a lot of newbies don't know is that MH's develop their own characteristics (personalities) after sitting and settling in one spot for a long time and do not always just sit on a new pad or fit (marry) naturally back together whence reset. There will usually be quite a bit of tweaking and wracking involved in order to get all the doors, floors, windows, etc to work as they once did or should on a new pad.

    Most importantly, however, do know that once a MH has been moved from its original SITUS it will no longer qualify for a conventional loan in most cases. So if your plan is to buy it and move it onto a spot for yourself and you plan to rent it out or live in it yourself no problem. But if and when the time comes that you want to secure a long term conventional loan on it you'll be pretty much out of luck with most conventional lenders.

    Lastly, if you're planning to put it into a rental MHC also realize that many if not most MHC's are reluctant to accepting MH's that are over 10 years old; especially if they are PRE HUD MH's built before June 15, 1976.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, it's called trip insurance. Feel free to PM me if interested. I can't post it here but I wrote an article on the subject if you'd like to check it out. :) 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    Hi @Rachel H. would you mind sending me that trip insurance link as well? I'd like to see what they do in Texas. I just returned from Austin to visit a "Tiny House" which was really a "Park Model". I might be doing some Tiny House development in Texas if the local building jurisdictions buy into it. Thanks.

  • Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    @John Arendsen thank you. 

    @Rachel H. I will PM you but I think people might find it helpful as well, so you might want to post it here as well.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Will do @John Arendsen. Sorry I can't post the article here @Andriy Boychuk. I posted one of my articles here in the past in response to a request for help on a subject on mobile home investing and was told by one of the moderators it was not allowed. The post was removed. I just want to follow the forum rules and not get in trouble. Will check my messages and get back with you, thanks! 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    @Rachel H.  Even as a so called PRO, which you have to pay for in order to post links, websites, phone numbers, etc., or at least I thought so, I still get posts removed. When I ask someone @Account Closed, why they never once answered me. I was under the impression that when you paid to play you were allowed to self promote. I'm still looking for some answers

    In the meantime I'm fine with posting and commenting on this platform overall. Not so much because of what BP has to offer because I'm really not sure at this point. Moreover though, I like helping folks on subjects I know about and Manufactured Housing has so many complicated areas a peculiararities for the average lay person and I don't like to see the unwary being taken advantage of.

    In fact I think that's why I became an expert witness, consultant and troubleshooter over 25 years ago. I have never charged a homeowner for my services. It's almost all pro bono at that level. The only time I charge my rates is when I'm retained by a Manufacturer, Dealer, Transporter, contractor or MH owner/manager. 

  • Investor · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    @Rachel H. thank you for the response. 
    @John Arendsen and @Rachel H. I posted many links on the forum but all links were not related to my business. @John Arendsen you can promote yourself (as far as I know) in marketplace area. 

    @Account Closed am I correct?

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 727 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Andriy Boychuk. I'll check into that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.