Waste Management vs Republic Services

Waste Management vs Republic Services

Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2009 · 85 posts · 38 votes

I'm researching costs for providing a trash dumpster to a Mobile Home Park I have under contract.  The current owner is using WM and their current monthly contract rate is $525.  Over $6K per year for trash pick up seems exorbitant to me.  Republic Services website has the same size dumpster priced at $165 per month.  Is there a big difference in service quality between these two providers?  Just can't get my head around why WM is so expensive. 

Any insights from you MHP owners that have used either or both providers?

Thanks BP!

0Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Derek RobinsonPro Member
Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes
8y
@Reid Hanley , I have parks in different markets and use both these companies (it so happens that I don't have a choice in the markets I'm in, one won't offer trash service where another one will). Anyway, I have had no issue with Republic. The bill is automatically withdrawn monthly and trash is picked up weekly with no interruptions. Ive had quite a few issues with Waste Industries. When I first purchased one park, I called to have service put in my name. It took three weeks and several angry phone calls before they picked up the trash. I was still getting charged and they would keep making promises, but week after week, no trash service. I had another park and the driver decided he didn't want to drive down the gravel road into the park anymore, but I was never alerted of this. so after three weeks of no trash pick-up, tenants started to complain. it took several calls again and multiple people before someone could give me any answers. It all came down to poor communication within their company. I also had trouble with being over charged a few times.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Derek RobinsonPro Member
    Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes
    8y
    @Reid Hanley , I have parks in different markets and use both these companies (it so happens that I don't have a choice in the markets I'm in, one won't offer trash service where another one will). Anyway, I have had no issue with Republic. The bill is automatically withdrawn monthly and trash is picked up weekly with no interruptions. Ive had quite a few issues with Waste Industries. When I first purchased one park, I called to have service put in my name. It took three weeks and several angry phone calls before they picked up the trash. I was still getting charged and they would keep making promises, but week after week, no trash service. I had another park and the driver decided he didn't want to drive down the gravel road into the park anymore, but I was never alerted of this. so after three weeks of no trash pick-up, tenants started to complain. it took several calls again and multiple people before someone could give me any answers. It all came down to poor communication within their company. I also had trouble with being over charged a few times.
  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Reid Hanley check out this podcast as a third option. 

    Kevin and Charles interview a hauling broker of sorts.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Replublic for residential services did not pick up for 4 weeks at one of my rentals. The main office,was nice about it but despite multiple calls they never did pick up. It really depends on the local hauler. We use RPE for dumpster service.
  • Derek RobinsonPro Member
    Real Estate Coach · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 176 posts · 172 votes
    8y
    @Bill F. , have you tried to use this guy to negotiate waste removal? I tried calling in January. It seemed kind of disorganized and no one would ever call me back. It seemed like maybe this was just a side project that wasn't as successful as he thought it would be?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.