Investing in The Ohio Market

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Copperopolis, CA · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 7 votes
4y

@Kent Williams

I'm looking at Cleveland and Columbus right now. Cleveland for cash flow and Columbus for appreciation. I would love to buy closer to where I live but the roi is horrible here.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Houston Texas.  Joking but serious.  What's wrong with your own back yard?

  • Investor · Houston Texas · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Hi Greg , Im from Ann Arbor Michigan , move to Texas because my  wife is from there . I need to buy where i can afford them . Im trying to build my rental portfolio up for retirement . Im also looking to buy in Michigan . 



  • Contractor · Copperopolis, CA · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Kent Williams

    I'm looking at Cleveland and Columbus right now. Cleveland for cash flow and Columbus for appreciation. I would love to buy closer to where I live but the roi is horrible here.

  • Investor · Houston Texas · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Will they be for Section 8 

  • Member since 2021 · 61 posts · 75 votes
    4y

    @Kent Williams

    Two to three years ago Columbus had excellent prices that have appreciated quite a bit now that makes cash flow hard.  Depends on what your goals are, but I would look at secondary markets outside of larger metro areas.  Right now I'm focusing a lot on Akron where decent cash flow can still be achieved.

  • Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    4y

    Columbus has some good numbers from what I've read!

  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
    4y

    Cleveland and Akron have been seeing good cash flow. If you are planning to buy and hold, I'd recommend Columbus. Homes here have been appreciating like crazy. I obviously can't say for sure, but I'm predicting they'll continue to increase in the future. 

  • Cameron TopePro Member
    Property Manager · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hey Kent, 

    The best area to invest is and always will be the area where you have a competitive advantage. 

    Real estate is one of the few investments where the average Joe or Jane can dramatically increase their returns by playing to their strengths. 

    Determine what your competitive advantage is and then figure out how to use that in real estate. 

    Best of luck!

  • Contractor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 55 votes
    4y

    I invest in Warren which is near Youngstown. Its a good cash flow area but I just read that Intel is investing 20 Billion dollars for a chip plant near Columbus.  I'd definitely like to try to get a couple properties down there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 98 posts · 101 votes
    4y

    @Kent Williams I would suggest Columbus due to the fast appreciation that is taking place. There are sub-markets that are appreciating more than others such as Linden, Hilltop, Clintonville, etc. but these areas rent is not the greatest compared to Worthington, Westerville, Whitehall , etc. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    4y

    Big fan of Columbus Oh due to our steady growth of population and Ohio State university. 

    Also we've had some great success with submarkets in Ohio. Bought an Urbana Oh duplex that was converted into an updated Airbnb. Purchase 83k rehab 25k and we are averaging 2500 a month in gross income (expense ratio is higher though). Still doesn't make sense to me the people going to these small urban towns.. but we stay booked! 

  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Cleveland, Ohio is a great place to get a high cash flow. The rents are high compared to the property values and appear to be staying at its current ratio into the near future. You wouldn't invest here for the appreciation as their is minimal population growth and the median income is low with a minimal rise year over year. With all that said, if you do your work on finding an off market property it is possible to walk away with the Two Percent Rule even. Just have a good property manager and team around you!

  • Member since 2020 · 41 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    After investing in the Akron/Cleveland area, my advice is...don't. Invest in your own backyard.

  • Contractor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 55 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    After investing in the Akron/Cleveland area, my advice is...don't. Invest in your own backyard.

    Why?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 26 votes
    4y

    I would recommend Columbus for appreciation quickly, but Cincinnati for buy and hold more long term. There are a lot of solid B class neighborhoods here where rental properties meet and exceed the 1%. I see the city improving in its culture and dining every day it seems like!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati OH, USA · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 61 votes
    4y

    I agree with Ashley-Cincinnati is great for cash flow and the city really does put effort and money into improving and attracting people to the area.  

  • Investor · Houston Texas · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    I look into the Akron/Cleveland area in the last 24 Hours and found tons of cash flowing property , I can buy for under 35K  rehab and have rent out within 50 days . and the number are great 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Kent Williams anything that cheap will make your life miserable in cleveland.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 493 posts · 162 votes
    4y

    While dependent on your goals, Columbus and surrounding areas provide great opportunities as the city continues to expand. Cincinnati has QOZ opportunities throughout. Some metrics that can help identify which works within your goals are; population growth, income growth, job growth, job diversification and rent growth. Best of luck breaking in. 

  • Angelo SolariPro Member
    Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Robert Arquilla just saw the Intel CEO on tv talking about it, exciting news for the Columbus area and the midwest!! 7000 construction jobs, 3000 permanent jobs, and potential investment of up to $100 Billion over time... I'm definitely gonna look into this area as I start my REI journey.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    I'm originally from Ohio (family still there - just outside of Columbus). I'm going to start looking actively there for opportunities, want to expand out of the current market I invest in (Memphis, TN). 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 98 posts · 101 votes
    4y

    @Kent Williams I would suggest Columbus. This city has a steady increase in appreciation even though in certain areas the 1% rule doesn't always apply. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kent Williams:

    What the best city in Ohio to build a rental portfolio ?

    Faulty question dude. Varying cities work better or worse for varying real estate strategies. What are your goals man? What is your risk tolerance? How much money are you interested in spending? Do you want ease of ownership or do you want to deal with a tenant base of complete savages in an effort to obtain a higher ROI? That's what you need to identify before asking a question like this one.

  • Investor · Houston Texas · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Thank you 

  • Investor · Houston Texas · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Hi David , im ok with property at that price point , Im a season  GC/ investor for over 20 years . I have a team  in Ohio now to handle any property I buy   . 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.