Should I pay off an investment property?

Should I pay off an investment property?

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes

My husband passed away tragically 7 weeks ago and I now have insurance money to pay off our investment condo that we owe $115k at 4.1% interest (733 a month)  We have a tenant in there and it pays for itself but I’m wondering if I should pay it off and then use that income to pay my current mortgage at $950 a month? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

Please allow me to second @Theresa Harris recommendation.  You need time to absorb and cope with a loss of this magnitude.  In times of grief, decision making can be badly impaired, so if it's possible, try putting the decision off for several months or more.

There is no schedule for grief.  We all process it differently, so if you feel ready sooner, go for it.  But don't be afraid to take extra time if your head isn't really clear.

I'm very sorry for your loss and will pray for God's healing comfort for you.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @T. White My condolences on your loss.

    If I understand your situation, your investment condo currently generates cash flow. So, you don't need to use your insurance proceeds on it.

    My question then is this: Why would you?

    If your goal is to minimize your personal mortgage, why not focus your efforts specifically there? Is the interest rate as low as you can get it? Can you make principal payments and accelerate your paydown? Are you paying private mortgage insurance (PMI) that could be eliminated by getting your loan balance down?

    I would look at the residence and the investment property completely separately.

    Moreover, although it's breaking even, the investment property may or may not be a great deal. Depending on the kind of return you're getting on it, you may determine that there are far better ways for you to earn a quality return!

    I recommend you run some numbers with an experienced financial professional who can help you explore some scenarios.

    Here's the thing, though: Please make sure whoever you find has deep experience with real estate investing, and is a a true advisor, not an insurance or securities salesperson!

    You'll want to get some solid references here.

    Good luck!

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Agreed with above - you should run the numbers on the different options but that is a great interest rate on a cash-flowing property, as long as its not a hassle, it likely makes financial sense to keep it considering the current market

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @T. White:

    My husband passed away tragically 7 weeks ago and I now have insurance money to pay off our investment condo that we owe $115k at 4.1% interest (733 a month)  We have a tenant in there and it pays for itself but I’m wondering if I should pay it off and then use that income to pay my current mortgage at $950 a month? Any advice is greatly appreciated.


    It really depends on your goal. If you are happy with two properties and do not want to stress about property management and tenants, pay off the investment property. If your goal is to scale your rental portfolio, having a mortgage is one of the fastest ways to do it. Either way, you are in a win-win situation. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:
    Quote from @T. White:

    My husband passed away tragically 7 weeks ago and I now have insurance money to pay off our investment condo that we owe $115k at 4.1% interest (733 a month)  We have a tenant in there and it pays for itself but I’m wondering if I should pay it off and then use that income to pay my current mortgage at $950 a month? Any advice is greatly appreciated.


    It really depends on your goal. If you are happy with two properties and do not want to stress about property management and tenants, pay off the investment property. If your goal is to scale your rental portfolio, having a mortgage is one of the fastest ways to do it. Either way, you are in a win-win situation. 


     But I agree with the above. Look at both separately since you might have an opportunity to lower those payments on your primary.

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    I am sorry for your loss.  If you don't need to make a decision now, I would wait a few more months before making any major financial decisions.  Without your husband's income (assuming he was working), you may find it harder to get loads should you want to buy other properties.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Keep the debt and keep the tenant in there. 

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks so much everyone y

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Please allow me to second @Theresa Harris recommendation.  You need time to absorb and cope with a loss of this magnitude.  In times of grief, decision making can be badly impaired, so if it's possible, try putting the decision off for several months or more.

    There is no schedule for grief.  We all process it differently, so if you feel ready sooner, go for it.  But don't be afraid to take extra time if your head isn't really clear.

    I'm very sorry for your loss and will pray for God's healing comfort for you.

  • Alex BreshearsBusiness Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 504 votes
    4y

    Good morning Ms. White. First, I am sorry for your loss. That is a really big blow to anyone, and the fact you are able to come up and ask these questions shows a ton of personal strength. I am also located in Hampton roads, so let me know if I can ever help you out.  I do private lending, so I use the capital I have access to and lend that out to other active investors. That provides me with cash flow without dealing with a tenant, or even another property that would have repairs and maintenance associated with it. If cash flow is your goal, I would say this is a great way to get monthly income coming in!

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    @T. White the real investment question is, where can you get the best rate of return on the money with corresponding acceptable risk?

    Option #1 - pay off a loan costing you 4.1% (less after interest writeoff).

    Optin #2 - invest the money elsewhere earning more than 4.1% (with acceptable risk)

    Only you can pick an option #2 that you are comfortable with.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    That 4.1% tax deductible rate is tough to beat. 

    We paid off our primary, then put a fat heloc on it as an opportunity fund. Interest on our primary hasn't been deductible in years. 

    Either way, reducing debt is never dumb.  You have my condolences. 

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Everyone in here is dropping great advice. I agree that it depends on your situation. If it were me, I'd be thinking about using that $ to buy 2 or 3 condos and replicate the existing cash flow you have. You'll never regret having equity in the long term.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 106 votes
    4y

    @Alex Breshears

    What is the best way to learn about becoming a private lender?

  • Insurance Agent · all 50 states · Member since 2022 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    4y

    I agree with a lot of the comments on here... take you time, don't let anyone talk you into anything that doesn't align with your long term goals.  If something is a good deal today it will be there tomorrow and if it isn't something else equally as good will come up soon.  

    As far as what to do with the insurance payout, find a professional that you trust and has your best interest in mind.  Be open and honest with them about your short term and long term goals, have them help you run through multiple scenarios and then if none of those scenarios still don't feel right get a second, third or fourth opinion.  

  • Alex BreshearsBusiness Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 504 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Rhondalette W.:

    @Alex Breshears

    What is the best way to learn about becoming a private lender?


     Hi Rhondalette! I am actually one of the authors of BiggerPocket's private lending book. 

    The link to the book is here: https://store.biggerpockets.co...

    If you order it on BiggerPockets it comes with access to a risk mitigation video for private lending as well. It's about an hour long and covers some of the most common risks in private lending and some options to mitigate them in the loan. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Shrewsbury, MA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    First off, my condolences on your loss. My take is that you don't do anything with it like others have said. Eventually if you have a positive cash flow then I would be inclined to keep the property. Insurance money can be used to collect other investment properties as the market makes a correction.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Thanks so much everyone.  This road of Grief has been extremely difficult but I genuinely appreciate all of your responses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.