From Cali to Memphis were gonna make it happen.

From Cali to Memphis were gonna make it happen.

Keenan PattonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes

Headed into a new market and loving learning the way things go. I'm a California investor pushing capital into Memphis. Just starting my TN journey and I can tell this is gonna be a fun endeavor. Lots of rehab, lots of potential, and lots of cool stuff to do when I go to see the properties(hahaha). I have a few door in Cali right now but pushing into TN I've put in 8 offers in 3 days with rehab budgets ranging from 20k to 55k. If you're in the Memphis market and want to connect don't be scared to send me a message. Always looking to connect with other like-minded people. 

7Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Bartlett, TN · Member since 2013 · 404 posts · 421 votes
2y

Hey Keenan,

Welcome to Memphis.  I'm from the Sacramento area and started investing in Memphis in 2013.  I sold all of my CA properties, moved to the Memphis area in 2019 and purchased many houses here.  It's definitely more of a street by street market with many good areas. 

One thing that may help is our local REIA, Memphis Investors Group. We are a non-profit group and have a lot of investors from all over. We have agents, contractors, wholesalers, etc. memphisinvestorsgroup.com is the link. Reach out when you have a few mintues. I'd be to chat.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    2y

    Hi Keenan,

    Be sure & check into the Tennessee Fonce Exemption tax rules which can help big time.

    Also hookup with a great property manager to make your efforts sizzle.   We've been investing there since 2011 & find it to be a great market IF you stay away from the  war zones.

    Available to talk if you'd like.

    Best.,

    Mike Mosee

  • Rental Property Investor · Bartlett, TN · Member since 2013 · 404 posts · 421 votes
    2y

    Hey Keenan,

    Welcome to Memphis.  I'm from the Sacramento area and started investing in Memphis in 2013.  I sold all of my CA properties, moved to the Memphis area in 2019 and purchased many houses here.  It's definitely more of a street by street market with many good areas. 

    One thing that may help is our local REIA, Memphis Investors Group. We are a non-profit group and have a lot of investors from all over. We have agents, contractors, wholesalers, etc. memphisinvestorsgroup.com is the link. Reach out when you have a few mintues. I'd be to chat.

  • Keenan PattonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Mosee:

    Hi Keenan,

    Be sure & check into the Tennessee Fonce Exemption tax rules which can help big time.

    Also hookup with a great property manager to make your efforts sizzle.   We've been investing there since 2011 & find it to be a great market IF you stay away from the  war zones.

    Available to talk if you'd like.

    Best.,

    Mike Mosee


     I flew out there a few weeks ago and definitely realized there are certain areas that are better than others. I loved it there though. I have a preferred gc list with a property manager from a lender out there but if you happen to have a manager you like id love to know your preference. Definitely would love to bend your ear a bit. 

  • Keenan PattonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Hutson:

    Hey Keenan,

    Welcome to Memphis.  I'm from the Sacramento area and started investing in Memphis in 2013.  I sold all of my CA properties, moved to the Memphis area in 2019 and purchased many houses here.  It's definitely more of a street by street market with many good areas. 

    One thing that may help is our local REIA, Memphis Investors Group. We are a non-profit group and have a lot of investors from all over. We have agents, contractors, wholesalers, etc. memphisinvestorsgroup.com is the link. Reach out when you have a few mintues. I'd be to chat.


     I saw that when I was there for sure. I found a few streets that were no goes (Chelsea was a bit rough). I'll check that link out tonight. Thank you. Would love to connect more. 

  • Mike MoseePro Member
    Investor · Eagle Point, OR · Member since 2011 · 181 posts · 118 votes
    2y

    Hi Keenan

    We've used Mid South Home Rentals of ARLINGTON,Tn , division of Enterprise Realtors for over 12 years  successfully.   You can call me at 503-888-6927 to talk .    I'm located west coast like you, near Medford,Or.     Available most days.   If I don't answer (thinking you're trying to buy one of my places) leave a message & I'll call back shortly

    Mike

  • Keenan PattonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2019 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Mosee:

    Hi Keenan

    We've used Mid South Home Rentals of ARLINGTON,Tn , division of Enterprise Realtors for over 12 years  successfully.   You can call me at 503-888-6927 to talk .    I'm located west coast like you, near Medford,Or.     Available most days.   If I don't answer (thinking you're trying to buy one of my places) leave a message & I'll call back shortly

    Mike

    Thank you Mike, I'll definitely call you tomorrow. 

     My number is 5303152482. I get a lot of spam calls and property calls so I totally get it. Looking forward to talking.

  • Investor · Germantown, TN · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keenan Patton:

    Headed into a new market and loving learning the way things go. I'm a California investor pushing capital into Memphis. Just starting my TN journey and I can tell this is gonna be a fun endeavor. Lots of rehab, lots of potential, and lots of cool stuff to do when I go to see the properties(hahaha). I have a few door in Cali right now but pushing into TN I've put in 8 offers in 3 days with rehab budgets ranging from 20k to 55k. If you're in the Memphis market and want to connect don't be scared to send me a message. Always looking to connect with other like-minded people. 


     Local investor friendly agent in Memphis here.  Many small-institutional investors here and has been for a long time....Some price drops happening as well....

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 365 posts · 264 votes
    2y

    @Keenan Patton That's awesome, congrats on making the push to get into the Memphis market! Great place to own buy and holds, as others have mentioned and as you have witnessed it's certainly street by street. I work with hundreds of clients who purchase homes and a management company who has over 7,600 homes under management. Would be happy to answer any questions along your journey, don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck investing! 

  • Investor · New Zealand · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keenan Patton:
    Quote from @Mike Mosee:

    Hi Keenan

    We've used Mid South Home Rentals of ARLINGTON,Tn , division of Enterprise Realtors for over 12 years  successfully.   You can call me at 503-888-6927 to talk .    I'm located west coast like you, near Medford,Or.     Available most days.   If I don't answer (thinking you're trying to buy one of my places) leave a message & I'll call back shortly

    Mike

    Thank you Mike, I'll definitely call you tomorrow. 

     My number is 5303152482. I get a lot of spam calls and property calls so I totally get it. Looking forward to talking.

    Hey Keenan,

    I second Mike. Mid South guys in Arlington I have worked with for last 5 years or so and they are awesome!! Would be happy to share my exp with them too. Cheers Raj 

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 269 votes
    2y

    Thank you @Raj Khadilkar and @Mike Mosee.  I'm looking for a new PM and am perusing the BP forums looking for feedback on Mid-South.  Nice to see 2 endorsements, especially from long term customers.

    @Keenan Patton, welcome to Memphis investing!  I've been invested in the Memphis area for 8 years now and love the area.  Memphis properties are my best (cash-flow) performing properties.

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    2y

    Hey @Keenan Patton! Welcome to the site and to the Memphis area! As many have mentioned, Memphis is an excellent market to target for investing and your boots on the ground team will make all the difference. 

    Let me know if I can help you in anyway. Also, we created a free zip code guide we like to give out to help you understand the areas better. Shoot me a dm if your interested in getting a copy.  

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    2y

    Let me know when you make a trip to Memphis. I would love to show you around our beautiful city. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Stephen Akindona:

    Hey @Keenan Patton! Welcome to the site and to the Memphis area! As many have mentioned, Memphis is an excellent market to target for investing and your boots on the ground team will make all the difference. 

    Let me know if I can help you in anyway. Also, we created a free zip code guide we like to give out to help you understand the areas better. Shoot me a dm if your interested in getting a copy.  

     Hey Keenan, I'd be keen to see your zip code guide as well if you are open to sharing.  Thanks!

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 741 posts · 845 votes
    2y

    @Derek MacBay

    Shoot me a DM and I can get you our zip code guide!

  • James ColganPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · North NJ · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 17 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Keenan Patton:

    Headed into a new market and loving learning the way things go. I'm a California investor pushing capital into Memphis. Just starting my TN journey and I can tell this is gonna be a fun endeavor. Lots of rehab, lots of potential, and lots of cool stuff to do when I go to see the properties(hahaha). I have a few door in Cali right now but pushing into TN I've put in 8 offers in 3 days with rehab budgets ranging from 20k to 55k. If you're in the Memphis market and want to connect don't be scared to send me a message. Always looking to connect with other like-minded people. 


     Keenan, 

    How's the new adventure going? I'm diving into this area now with a partner but open for partner possibilities and to learn! 

  • James ColganPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · North NJ · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 17 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Hutson:

    Hey Keenan,

    Welcome to Memphis.  I'm from the Sacramento area and started investing in Memphis in 2013.  I sold all of my CA properties, moved to the Memphis area in 2019 and purchased many houses here.  It's definitely more of a street by street market with many good areas. 

    One thing that may help is our local REIA, Memphis Investors Group. We are a non-profit group and have a lot of investors from all over. We have agents, contractors, wholesalers, etc. memphisinvestorsgroup.com is the link. Reach out when you have a few mintues. I'd be to chat.


     David, 

    My name is Jimmy, my business partner and I are looking into this market now and have reached out to a couple investor friendly agents about areas. We're planning to come out next month, If you're open to a call I'd love to chat and get some more insight. 

    Thanks! 

  • James ColganPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · North NJ · Member since 2017 · 77 posts · 17 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Hutson:

    Hey Keenan,

    Welcome to Memphis.  I'm from the Sacramento area and started investing in Memphis in 2013.  I sold all of my CA properties, moved to the Memphis area in 2019 and purchased many houses here.  It's definitely more of a street by street market with many good areas. 

    One thing that may help is our local REIA, Memphis Investors Group. We are a non-profit group and have a lot of investors from all over. We have agents, contractors, wholesalers, etc. memphisinvestorsgroup.com is the link. Reach out when you have a few mintues. I'd be to chat.


     David, 

    My name is Jimmy, my business partner and I are looking into this market now and have reached out to a couple investor friendly agents about areas. We're planning to come out next month, If you're open to a call I'd love to chat and get some more insight. 

    Thanks! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Mosee:

    Hi Keenan

    We've used Mid South Home Rentals of ARLINGTON,Tn , division of Enterprise Realtors for over 12 years  successfully.   You can call me at 503-888-6927 to talk .    I'm located west coast like you, near Medford,Or.     Available most days.   If I don't answer (thinking you're trying to buy one of my places) leave a message & I'll call back shortly

    Mike


    NO your getting calls from wholesalers say it aint so :)
  • Rental Property Investor · Bartlett, TN · Member since 2013 · 404 posts · 421 votes
    2y

    Jimmy, reach out to me to see what my availability is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.