Investing in Colorado in 2025

Investing in Colorado in 2025

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 12 votes

Hello,

I am curious what strategies and areas people are looking into and investing in for 2025 in Colorado? I live in Fort Collins but open to the front range. My wife and I haven't leveraged the 10% second home loan yet, for us currently that is the most realistic path forward for current costs of properties but I'm unsure where and how we can pull that off, been out of the market for a little while so wanted to see what others are doing to make it work in this state as I want to get back into the game this year.

Thanks

1Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Dan GuentherBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
1y

Hey Mathew, welcome back to the game!

I'm a Longmont-based investor, agent, and property manager. Since 2021, the co-living model in NoCo and Denver has been my go-to strategy, and I still see a lot of potential in it. More recently, I launched my first sober living home in Longmont, which has been going well—though not without its challenges (happy to chat more about that later). There’s a massive demand for group homes and sober living in Fort Collins, and the operators I work with are actively searching for opportunities there. That could be something to consider, assuming you’re not looking for a property you can also use as a personal getaway.

Lately, I’ve been focused on sourcing deals, especially given the current interest rate environment for traditional sales. The most successful ones over the past year have been off-market—either cash deals with value-add potential or creative financing deals with lower entry costs and better terms. I’m actively hunting for these opportunities, but the biggest challenge is that they often come with less control over location and property specifics.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Eric DeNardoPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver · Member since 2020 · 366 posts · 151 votes
    1y

    @Mathew Fuller, What type of investment are you looking to do? Flip? LTR? or something else? Investments can "work" in Denver metro, but it requires creativity. Would love to chat with you more about your goals and interests, as well as what the investors we're working with are doing to make the numbers work. 

  • Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Hi Eric

    Mid to long term rental, even if its something I gotta house hack starting off, I am open if the numbers work.

  • Eric DeNardoPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver · Member since 2020 · 366 posts · 151 votes
    1y

    @Mathew Fuller - House hacking is a great way to get started and MTR is a good strategy to make the numbers work if you're in a good area for it. 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Mathew Fuller

    Getting back into Colorado real estate with a 10% down second home loan is a great move, especially if you target high-demand areas like Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, or mountain towns with strong short-term rental potential. Depending on your strategy, you can house hack in cities, invest in mid-term rentals for professionals, or explore BRRRR opportunities in more affordable markets like Pueblo or Greeley. Make sure to check local STR regulations, connect with investors, and run the numbers to find the best cash-flowing opportunities.

    Good luck!

  • Nate ShieldsPro Member
    Lender · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 148 votes
    1y

    Hey Matthew, house hacking is great but there are also some short term rental opportunities in Fort Collins and Estes Park. You just need to know the pockets where they’re allowed. 

    Happy to hop on a call. I also host a meetup in Fort Collins if you’d like to connect with some other like minded investors. 

  • Property Manager · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    1y

    Hi Mathew, 

    If you're considering an STR with the 10% second home loan, Mountain Time Vacation Rentals can help. We manage 150 furnished properties across Northern Colorado and can share high-potential options as they hit the market. Happy to be a resource for you!

  • Dan GuentherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    1y

    Hey Mathew, welcome back to the game!

    I'm a Longmont-based investor, agent, and property manager. Since 2021, the co-living model in NoCo and Denver has been my go-to strategy, and I still see a lot of potential in it. More recently, I launched my first sober living home in Longmont, which has been going well—though not without its challenges (happy to chat more about that later). There’s a massive demand for group homes and sober living in Fort Collins, and the operators I work with are actively searching for opportunities there. That could be something to consider, assuming you’re not looking for a property you can also use as a personal getaway.

    Lately, I’ve been focused on sourcing deals, especially given the current interest rate environment for traditional sales. The most successful ones over the past year have been off-market—either cash deals with value-add potential or creative financing deals with lower entry costs and better terms. I’m actively hunting for these opportunities, but the biggest challenge is that they often come with less control over location and property specifics.

  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 599 posts · 312 votes
    1y

    Matthew, if you have not connected with @Dan Guenther yet, you will definitely want to as you get your search going this year!

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    1y

    Leveraging a 2nd home mortgage to purchase a STR or MTR is a great option! I've helped many investors set them up here. If you're open to Colorado Springs, let me know, I'd love to help!

  • Member since 2023 · 57 posts · 30 votes
    1y

    I live in one of the smaller tourist destinations in CO.  Houses are being gobbled up by 2nd homeowners at high prices. I would look into co-living opportunities in Vail, Breck, Telly, Leadville, Aspen, and surrounding areas.  There's no workforce housing for the people who work in these towns.  Find a 4+ BR house that needs work, fix it up, and rent out each bedroom on a  3, 6, or 12 month lease.

  • Real Estate Agent · CO · Member since 2022 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hey—great question. I’m based in Colorado too and work with a lot of investors who are in a similar spot.

    From what I’ve seen—and what I’ve done in my own portfolio—short-term rentals are the only strategy that consistently produces meaningful cash flow in today’s market. I say that as someone who owns both: my long-term rental doesn't cash flow (even with a 4% interest rate), but my full-time STR typically brings in $5K–$6K/month. I focus on short term rentals primarily because that's what I see consistently working.

    In most Colorado markets, long-term and even mid-term rents won’t cover the mortgage unless you’re putting a massive amount down. But with STRs—especially when set up thoughtfully in the right locations—most investors earn $25K–$50K/year in take-home cash flow from a single family that was chosen / designed well. Of course would be less with a 10% down strategy, but it's still easy to find something that will cash flow. 

    The 10% down second home loan is one of the most accessible ways to get started. Rates are a bit higher than a primary loan, but the lower down payment helps you get into stronger-performing markets without needing 20%–25% upfront.

    The key is choosing an STR-friendly area (Park County, Arvada, unincorporated Adams County, etc.) where you can legally operate the property year-round. I've had clients use this strategy successfully in mountain access towns, foothill areas, and some under-the-radar destinations that still have strong demand and solid returns.

    I'm an investor-focused agent and STR owner here in Colorado, and I also host regular networking events for STR investors. Happy to connect, share what areas are working right now, or send you an invite if you ever want to drop by. Just shoot me a DM.

    Also—if you’re doing more research, there’s a YouTube channel that breaks this strategy down in more detail. Just search “Colorado Airbnb Investing” and it should pop up.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.