Austin, TX · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 4 votes
Hey everyone, first post here!
I'm based in Austin, TX and just starting to look at out-of-state buy-and-hold rentals — single family and small multifamily, budget around $100-150K per property. Plan is to self-manage my first couple of properties before bringing in a PM once I scale up.
Toledo keeps coming up in my research for cash flow, and I've seen 43605, 43608, and 43609 mentioned as the go-to zips for lower-priced deals. Before I go further I'd love some real-world input:
- What's the current on-the-ground reality in those three zips — tenant quality, turnover, vacancy? - Given I'll be self-managing at first (out of state), are these zips realistic for that, or would you steer a first-timer toward something a notch safer/easier? - Any specific streets/pockets within those zips you'd avoid vs. feel good about? - Are there other Toledo-area neighborhoods (or nearby Ohio markets) you'd recommend instead for someone with my setup?
Appreciate any insight — trying to do this right rather than fast. Thanks in advance!
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1d
Nathan, I’d be careful about choosing a Toledo zip code based mainly on purchase price and projected cash flow.
For an out-of-state first rental, I’d put a lot of weight on tenant turnover, property condition, block-by-block differences, and how easy the property will be to manage remotely. A cheaper house can look great on paper and still become the more expensive investment if you’re dealing with frequent turnovers, deferred maintenance, collections issues, or a lot of hands-on management from another state.
I'd also avoid treating 43605, 43608, or 43609 as if every property inside the zip performs the same way. With markets like Toledo, the street and immediate pocket can matter just as much as the zip code. I'd want local rent comps, recent sales, vacancy history, property-manager feedback, and a realistic repair/CapEx estimate for the exact property.
Since you’re planning to self-manage at first, I’d also ask yourself whether the extra yield is worth the additional operational complexity. Sometimes paying a little more for a cleaner property in a more stable pocket makes more sense for a first out-of-state rental than chasing the absolute highest cap rate.
From the tax side, I’d also compare the after-tax return, not just the headline cash flow. Depreciation, financing, repairs versus improvements, and your eventual management structure can all affect the real economics.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over our Turn Key Rental Analyzer so you can compare Toledo properties using the same assumptions instead of relying only on listing numbers.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1d
Nathan, I’d be careful about choosing a Toledo zip code based mainly on purchase price and projected cash flow.
For an out-of-state first rental, I’d put a lot of weight on tenant turnover, property condition, block-by-block differences, and how easy the property will be to manage remotely. A cheaper house can look great on paper and still become the more expensive investment if you’re dealing with frequent turnovers, deferred maintenance, collections issues, or a lot of hands-on management from another state.
I'd also avoid treating 43605, 43608, or 43609 as if every property inside the zip performs the same way. With markets like Toledo, the street and immediate pocket can matter just as much as the zip code. I'd want local rent comps, recent sales, vacancy history, property-manager feedback, and a realistic repair/CapEx estimate for the exact property.
Since you’re planning to self-manage at first, I’d also ask yourself whether the extra yield is worth the additional operational complexity. Sometimes paying a little more for a cleaner property in a more stable pocket makes more sense for a first out-of-state rental than chasing the absolute highest cap rate.
From the tax side, I’d also compare the after-tax return, not just the headline cash flow. Depreciation, financing, repairs versus improvements, and your eventual management structure can all affect the real economics.
Feel free to DM me, I’d be happy to send over our Turn Key Rental Analyzer so you can compare Toledo properties using the same assumptions instead of relying only on listing numbers.
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
1d
Hi @Nathan Hagstrom . There is no 'cash flow' right now on long term rentals in any market - none. Purchasing a rental and putting it into service is expensive, as you'll have thousands and thousands of dollars in unreimbursed costs that will take YEARS to pay yourself back for /pay off - closing costs, rent-ready costs, lease-up costs, repairs, turnover. Just because you make more than expenses in some random month is, in my opinion, not true cash flow until all the costs I mentioned are paid back. And new investors tend to hit a big cap ex item or a rough turnover and get discouraged when they are not prepared for it.
I also think investing OOS at that price point is exceptionally difficult. Just to be blunt - no one in a local market attempts to hold top deals for random out of state investors; the best ones get snapped up quickly. And no one is going to manage for you, like you would manage yourself. If you're serious about this, you need to be able to travel to the market and do some of the tough work yourself IN PERSON setting up a network, getting to know a neighborhood, and looking at properties. And if that's not for you, then real estate investing may not be for you.
I don't mean for this to come off as discouraging but I just see no point in sugar coating how challenging the market is everywhere right now.
Unfortunately, returns on non value add LTRs are very, very low right now. I know this is a real estate forum (and I am still buying), but I am encouraging new investors to think very carefully about where to allocate their cash. It's not obvious to me that a random LTR is going to perform well.
Austin, TX · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 4 votes
20h
@Nicholas L. really appreciate your honest and raw feedback here, its definitely much appreciated. Noted on being in he market and networking. Would love to connect with you further on this if you are open to it?
Toledo is serious about this. They are sending out court summons to owners that are not compliant. They are also sending out City auditors to confirm inspections performed by private lead inspectors.
If the house has exterior paint you are expected to have 0% deterioration. Same for the interior.
Pay attention to the windows. This is the area that causes the most pain and wallet-drain. Even when owners have added siding and trim around the windows, those old window-pane dividers are usually neglected. If the paint is degraded, then they need to be individually scraped and repainted - interior and exterior. That task alone is putting a lot of work on all the painters and handymen in Toledo.
I have seen out-of-state buyers purchase from pictures provided by sellers. Scores of pictures, and from every angle, and all of a beautiful house. These pictures were photo-shopped beyond belief. I mean - I'm not a civil lawyer, but the degree that I have seen I would consider fraud.
*** I suggest you make a friend/business-partner in Toledo that you pay to advise you. This would include not only the condition of the house itself, but also the things you cannot see in the listing. For example, what about the house next door? The entire block? Local knowledge that is not included in the listing. You mention 43608. I know that zip well. In my mind - Ghetto (no offense to anyone - just my opinion). There is good value to be found there, but you or a trusted partner need to be on the ground to identify it.
Back to the lead risk for a minute. An important item you need to know. If you own an occupied unit one of these two things could happen:
You receive a court summons, because you did not get a lead-safe certificate beyond the timeline.
An occupant in the house is identified with a severely elevated Blood Lead Level (BLL), and the Health Dept puts a Lead Hazard Control Order (LHCO) on your house.
If either of those happen, you are now trapped. You are the one held accountable, and you do not have the option of simply walking-away at that point. They have the option to hold you accountable. I have seen people in that situation.
Regarding the first - that is the lesser of the two. You need to work with an EPA RRP certified person to get the house to the level to pass an inspection and get the Lead Safe Cert. The government is not yet in your business of how you are getting the work done. You know the protocols. Get it done; get your cert; and hire a lawyer to appear for you in court with your compliance proof.
The second, a LHCO, is more serious. Now the Health Dept is involved, and they will be auditing your work process. You will need to hire RRP personnel, and you may be required to hire Lead Abatement contractors. They are expensive.
Back to 43608 ... if you told me you bought a house there and you later learned that you needed to put $7,000 of labor and supplies into it just to get the Lead Safe Cert and you needed to do it fast (now), then I would not be phased at all. Not the slightest bit surprised. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about roofing, mechanicals, cabinets, flooring, et al. I'm talking about addressing potential lead risk hazards. Addressing these potential hazards may or may not (more likely) add any value to the house. It's very frustrating for people spending a couple thousand dollars scraping and repainting window pane dividers when they realize that all they have done is become compliant, but they still have 100-year-old windows that are structurally failing. How about scaping and painting that useless, collapsing garage? Yes. Either that or demo it. Those are your choices.
I am not trying to paint a doomsday scenario here. I just want all people (in or out of state) to understand these requirements and their associated risks. A lot of people are getting caught off-guard.
Regards,
Chris
(Disclosure - I am an Ohio Lead Risk Assessor. I make money in this process, so I have a conflict. However, nothing in my post is driven by that conflict, i.e. I am not trying to make any money from this post. I am simply sharing things I have seen from the ground).
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 360 posts · 136 votes
20h
Quote from @Nathan Hagstrom:
Hey everyone, first post here!
I'm based in Austin, TX and just starting to look at out-of-state buy-and-hold rentals — single family and small multifamily, budget around $100-150K per property. Plan is to self-manage my first couple of properties before bringing in a PM once I scale up.
Toledo keeps coming up in my research for cash flow, and I've seen 43605, 43608, and 43609 mentioned as the go-to zips for lower-priced deals. Before I go further I'd love some real-world input:
- What's the current on-the-ground reality in those three zips — tenant quality, turnover, vacancy? - Given I'll be self-managing at first (out of state), are these zips realistic for that, or would you steer a first-timer toward something a notch safer/easier? - Any specific streets/pockets within those zips you'd avoid vs. feel good about? - Are there other Toledo-area neighborhoods (or nearby Ohio markets) you'd recommend instead for someone with my setup?
Appreciate any insight — trying to do this right rather than fast. Thanks in advance!
@Nathan Hagstrom, one thing I’ve seen with out of state investors is that the property can look great on paper, but the real test is whether you can actually manage the landlord side from hundreds of miles away.
Before buying, I would want to understand the local rental rules, have a lease that fits the state and property, and know exactly who will handle things that cannot wait for you to fly in. That includes repairs, access, notices, inspections, and problems with a tenant. I’ve seen investors save money by self-managing, then realize the harder part was not collecting rent. It was having a reliable process when something went wrong.
I’d be glad to stay connected, @Nathan Hagstrom. I like that you’re trying to learn the market before buying because with an out-of-state first property, the management and legal setup can matter just as much as the cash flow.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 916 votes
18h
Quote from @Nathan Hagstrom:
Hey everyone, first post here!
I'm based in Austin, TX and just starting to look at out-of-state buy-and-hold rentals — single family and small multifamily, budget around $100-150K per property. Plan is to self-manage my first couple of properties before bringing in a PM once I scale up.
Toledo keeps coming up in my research for cash flow, and I've seen 43605, 43608, and 43609 mentioned as the go-to zips for lower-priced deals. Before I go further I'd love some real-world input:
- What's the current on-the-ground reality in those three zips — tenant quality, turnover, vacancy? - Given I'll be self-managing at first (out of state), are these zips realistic for that, or would you steer a first-timer toward something a notch safer/easier? - Any specific streets/pockets within those zips you'd avoid vs. feel good about? - Are there other Toledo-area neighborhoods (or nearby Ohio markets) you'd recommend instead for someone with my setup?
Appreciate any insight — trying to do this right rather than fast. Thanks in advance!
Toledo can be worth a look, but I’d be careful about judging it by ZIP code alone. For a first out-of-state purchase, I’d focus heavily on the specific street, tenant demand, and having a solid local team, especially if you plan to self-manage. I’d also compare neighboring Ohio markets, since there are a few promising areas that may be a better fit for your budget and strategy.
Investor · USA · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 71 votes
17h
Hello Nathan,
I maintain a residence in DFW and in Toledo where i have properties. It is doable but it is challenging. I am in Toledo twice a month which is how I am able to make it work but even then it is difficult. I am finishing a house and you have to inspect what you expect even with trusted contractors.
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 158 posts · 59 votes
17h
Welcome to BiggerPockets, Nathan!
It sounds like you're taking the right approach by doing your research before jumping into a deal. Since you're investing out of state, I'd spend as much time building a reliable local team as you do analyzing neighborhoods. A good agent, property manager, contractor, and lender can make a huge difference, especially when you're managing from a distance.
I'd also recommend getting your financing strategy in place before you narrow down a property. Knowing exactly what you qualify for and how your numbers will look can help you move quickly when the right opportunity comes along. If you'd like to discuss financing options for an out of state investment, I'd be happy to help.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15h
@Nathan Hagstrom I haven't sold many investment properties in Toledo but I do a ton of volume in Cleveland and Columbus. Toledo is a cheaper market and it is easy to cashflow there.
However, Cleveland is better in cashflow and more population and easier rentability. I don't recommend you self-manage from OOS ever. Hire a good PM that can actually take care of your property.
Austin, TX · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 4 votes
13h
@Alfath Ahmed thanks Alfath, appreciate your insights here and I have also heard good things about Cleveland. Any particular neighbourhoods you recommend there?
Specialist · I give advice - [email protected] - I focus on states where investing is profitable, reasonably safe & secure · Member since 2026 · 40 posts · 7 votes
13h
Quote from @Nathan Hagstrom:
Hey everyone, first post here!
I'm based in Austin, TX and just starting to look at out-of-state buy-and-hold rentals — single family and small multifamily, budget around $100-150K per property. Plan is to self-manage my first couple of properties before bringing in a PM once I scale up.
Toledo keeps coming up in my research for cash flow, and I've seen 43605, 43608, and 43609 mentioned as the go-to zips for lower-priced deals. Before I go further I'd love some real-world input:
- What's the current on-the-ground reality in those three zips — tenant quality, turnover, vacancy? - Given I'll be self-managing at first (out of state), are these zips realistic for that, or would you steer a first-timer toward something a notch safer/easier? - Any specific streets/pockets within those zips you'd avoid vs. feel good about? - Are there other Toledo-area neighborhoods (or nearby Ohio markets) you'd recommend instead for someone with my setup?
Appreciate any insight — trying to do this right rather than fast. Thanks in advance!
One of the most surprising revelations an investor from an expensive market like Austin has in dealing with inexpensive markets like Toledo, is to "think, they all think, the same thinking" as you. The don't. Your expectations can inversely determine your profitability. You are likely to over guess the return and under guess how challenging it would be dealing with troubled renters, and the experience can be exhausting and frustrating. Many people do one property become disillusioned, and move on to something simpler like training alligators.
Nathan, welcome! One thing I'd be very careful about is self managing your first properties from another state. A cheap property can quickly become expensive when every maintenance issue requires someone on the ground.
With your $100K–$150K budget, I'd focus less on finding the cheapest zip code and more on finding a property that requires the least intervention.
Before buying I'd do three things. 1- speak with at least two local property managers, 2- get actual rental and vacancy figures for the specific streets you're considering, and 3- have a contractor inspect the property thoroughly.
I would also calculate your returns assuming one month of vacancy, unexpected repairs and professional management fees, even if you plan to manage everything yourself