Ok, I say yes to turnkeys, but where?

Ok, I say yes to turnkeys, but where?

Cambria Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 2 votes

Hi BPers,

HELP... 

Situation: I'm new to investing, been doing hours and hours of DD on turnkey investing. Decided turnkey is the way I want to invest. I like Jacksonville and San Antonio markets. I want to buy and hold for cash flow. I only have 25k to invest. Can anyone recommend a market that offers a good ROI for the amount I have to get started with?

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
10y

@Rodney Watson I say take your shot at a fix n flip and leverage the cash you have until you have a bit more to invest. I think with one good flip you would be ok to invest in the Jacksonville Market.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Rodney Watson do you think you could get additional funds by getting a mortgage?

  • Cambria Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Aaron Cooper I'm not sure but I think so. The last refi I did was in 2008 for 1/2 the equity in the house (Bought ex-wife out). I have since made numerous improvements to the home. I would prefer to borrow against my pension. Perhaps another 30k available that way.

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    There are lots of options.  First do you have a rental home now that you have had for 2 years or more? Basically you need to show you have been a landlord on tax returns for the banks to use the income from your rental homes towards your Debt to income ratio when qualifying a new purchase.  If not there are still options, but that will give you the most money and options.

    From there I would recommend getting prequalified with a bank and see what they are willing to loan you for a new purchase of an investment home based on your current financial situation.  It maybe 10,000 or 200,000 either way you know your budget to work with.  Once you have that you can figure out a price point you can invest in and drill down from there.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rodney Watson:

    Hi BPers,

    HELP... 

    Situation: I'm new to investing, been doing hours and hours of DD on turnkey investing. Decided turnkey is the way I want to invest. I like Jacksonville and San Antonio markets. I want to buy and hold for cash flow. I only have 25k to invest. Can anyone recommend a market that offers a good ROI for the amount I have to get started with?

    Check out the Midwest,

    My top picks are Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

    Best BANG for you buck can be found in those states IMO

    Thanks and much success

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 608 posts · 70 votes
    10y
    Our company has turnkey SFH in Vegas, Orlando, Memphis and Arizona. Let me know if interested in those markets.
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 93 posts · 35 votes
    10y

    Here in Orlando, there are a number of turnkey opportunities available due to the city's incredible growth rate. I would recommend you see a good mortgage broker first, and find out how much you qualify for on an investment home in Central Florida. As an example, I just finished renovating a home in Lakeland Florida which qualifies for USDA financing, the biggest benefit of which is 0% down. .

    Once you know what you qualify for, your search becomes much easier. You also have the option of looking for seller financed properties, but these are much less in number and harder to locate.

    Best of luck to you.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 969 posts · 524 votes
    10y

    @Rodney Watson

    Look to Leverage that money and purchase 2 or 3 Turnkey properties in the Mid-west with Conventional Financing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    10y

    @Rodney Watson I say take your shot at a fix n flip and leverage the cash you have until you have a bit more to invest. I think with one good flip you would be ok to invest in the Jacksonville Market.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    You will get a lot of opinions.  Midwest homes are typically a lot older, but typically higher cash flow.  I would think Jacksonville would be an opportunity to invest in newer homes, but maybe sacrifice some cash flow. I traveled there 4 times a year from 2002 to 2008 and really liked the city.  Team in my opinion is more important then market; also buy somewhere that you like to travel to so that you have a reason to take a weekend trip and write it off.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Rodney Watson Hi, With that starting amount of cash available, I would suggest you seriously consider Philadelphia, as it is close to you, and has some good options, and low property taxes.  

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Assuming you can get a mortgage (otherwise you may be kind of stuck for turnkeys), I'd say Kansas City would be an awesome bet right now. KC is a great combo of good returns + great market fundamentals + low entry prices + quality turnkey options.

  • Cambria Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks guys, lots,of great advise. Should I apply for the pre approval in my home state or the property's state? Or does that not matter?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.