Turnkey investment value

Turnkey investment value

Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 7 votes

I've read many pros and cons of turnkey esp for out of state or country. In summary, the pros is for maximizing the "passive" portion of rei vs the cons of paying more to do it all yourself (cash or diff to access financing for purch distressed property, rehab, holding costs, and lack of doing this all efficiently etc). I think it all could be a fair trade off. However, I also think it's a fair ask to get a good price at or below MLS prices (assuming in good shape, not talking about foreclosure/shorts). I am not counting the turnkey's company money- I can care less their profit margin! But I should be able to turn around and resell my property on the open market for at least my purchase price- otherwise I am overpaying! I look at these turnkey companies- norada, hipster, memphis invest, ohiocashflow etc (no knock of these companies- I just seen you post and looked at some of your properties- and their cash flows are attractive but the purchase amts seem higher than what I see on MLS for what appears on surface to be comparable (I use this term lightly as I am not familiar with all their areas) properties.

First question, would you expect to over pay for turnkey? Secondly, assuming you agree with me, how could we protect ourselves to be sure we are getting a fair deal and not a provider taking advantage of a naive investor? An appraisal would be one tool but what many of us know is that it's not an exact science and many appraisals come in unexpectedly significantly higher or below without rhyme or reason- it's one tool but not the sole one I like to support for/against my purchase. 

Lastly, I believe in win win. The TK people can make good profit while offering a fully TK property at or below retail. The TK providers scale allows efficient rehab (cost/time/experience) and selling to investor which is much faster (and typically repeat business) than retail transaction allows for a win win that doesn't take advantage of anyone. 

0Reply
102 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

@Charles Lemelle  repectully disagree with your statement that PM's Lenders and home warrenty companies give kick backs.

PM's in a turn key setting are generally owned by the turn key provider. and if there is any concession its usually a concession to the Buyer ... not kick back to provider.

Lenders would lose their licenses giving kick backs.. ( it could happen but usually just a beer or lunch).. no lender who Cherishes their NMLS license would risk it by giving kick backs on these small loans or any loans... Same with realtors.. there is customs to give little gifts but not kickbacks.

And home warranties are in the 300 to 450 range not much room there to give a kick back that would be meaningful or steer business.  

Having been in the space since about the inception of the turn key business  2001.

Here is the list of who gets what in my experience.

1. original home owner gets paid.. be it bank , homeowner etc.

2. wholesaler may be in the  deal and make a wholesale fee.. I see this  a lot in certain markets not at all in others.

3. Contractor who does the rehab.. ( or if company is large enough they have in house crews).

4. HML private money lender or bank gets paid to provide acquisition and rehab loans or capital ( this is what I have done to the tune of 2500 plus times LOL) This can very greatly. I have not seem many in the turn key space that can get True Bank loans Like I get on my new construction in ORegon and Charleston IE 1/2 to 1 point and 5 to 6% apr and only pay interest on drawn funds. Cost of capital is generally in the 12 to 20% or higher APR range.. and they can easily pay that because the loan amounts are low. I suspect a few have internal cash but I don't know a one of them that has enough to fund a virguous turn key company.. I think when I was talking with Chris at Memphis invest to keep them in inventory and they are one of the top 5 providers that I know of .. its a 10 to 15 million dollar cash need at all times. so lots of money and lots of risk in that regard.

5. Now you go to sales and marketing... some sell most if not all through internal channels. IE They do their own webinars etc.  Although as you pointed out with Norada  Hipster, Maverick Home union etc.. those are companies that generally broker turn key companies properties for a brokerage fee IE they are Real Estate brokers bringing buyer and seller together and earning a fee.

Now in some settings this was quite high I have seen some charge as much as a 10k flat fee on 70k turn keys.... ( remember I see the HUDS LOL) . OR they get paid after the fact and not on the HUD there are some licensing issues here that are kind of foggy but its an accepted practice..

so if we can think that if there is a marketing company between you and the turn key provider they are making a fee I have seen as small at 3k and as stated as high as 10k..

So lets run the numbers:

if we have a wholesaler  they made 2 to 5k generally

contractor is going to make 2 to 5k profit ( you pay this even if you were doing it yourself)

HML or funder is going to make 3 to 6k depending on the size of the deal and it could be more if the projects takes a long time as time is money.. and with investors using loans again closing get delayed for lender reasons so holding cost go up.

Marketing fee 3 to 10k lets use 5k as average I think that fair.

Now turn key company putting this all together for you wants to make a fair profit so say 7 to15k and some do quite a bit higher I have seen it up to 25k and more.

But today I see 7 to 15k which you MUST make other wise why be in the business.. I mean I build new homes and I am not going to do it take all the risk and we want to make 15% of gross as profit.. turn key does a little better but I am selling 400k homes so 15% is 60k per home and we close 30 plus a year... so it adds up.

    3k ( wholesaler)  contractor ( 4K) finaincing ( 5K)  marketing 5K  turnkey profit 15k

 3 + 4 +5 + 15 =  27k  added to actual costs.. and this would be minimum so if property is bought in its as in condition for 40k and 20 to 25k rehab... + 27k  your at 87k for the turn key product.

this is generally how it goes..

And remember turn key folks that sell direct have to pay for marketing advertising travel to west coast etc to attend shows like realty 411 and other venues.

OR DIY and you can be in the home for less but whats your time worth do you have the cash to pull it off and the time.

See this reply in the discussion

60 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Charles Lemelle  since you asked so nicely let me answer.

    I am not an RE broker in all areas... so each market is different.. but you can with a little bit of knowledge of how to work the GIS systems in a given market and being a young and I am sure knowledge how to use on line sytems could identify a street your interested in and figure out on your own how many are owner occ or not... I have people that do this for me. !! IE VA's

    If you were blessed to be investing on the West coast you would simply subscribe like I do to Foreclosure Radar and they have an app on your phone that shows you as your driving through a street through color coding the owner occ and the homeowners... pretty cool... Or you would simply call customer service at one of our VERY good title companies and they would do it for you.

    out in the mid west there is NO customer service in title companies and Lawyer closing shops are worthless when it comes to this.. you guys have it pretty tough compared to what info is at our finger tips.

    Price points are a big factor though as you state. demographics are a big factor.. as well as the age of the homes.. FHA financed homes need to be pretty tight to qualify for loans.

  • Punxsutawney, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Uh huh......Just as I thought. Retail, by any other name, is still retail. Price points are the same. Thanks for the Tech names and Apps. Those do sound really cool !

    PS It was never my intention to not ask nicely. You will, of course, forgive my informality if it were mistaken for rudeness. I thank you for your reply, sir.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    TK discounts, over paying, lack of equity are all popular topics on BP. While the value of the home is certainly determined by comps, but if you are a long term buy & hold investor, you have to take into consideration the condition of the house. You can pay 90k for a 100k home that rents for $1,095 and be far less profitable than buying a 100k home worth 100k with the same rent. If the 90k home has a 20 yr. old roof, 15 yr. old HVAC system, carpet throughout, home is outdated, deferred maintenance not addressed, etc. then your cash flow will be eaten up by maintenance and because the house is out dated, longer periods of vacancy, which may cause you to drop your rent below market value to secure a tenant. The difference on a $10,000 on a 30 yr mortgage is only about $50 a month. That sounds like a lot, but if you are constantly having to make repairs, replace carpet and make mortgage payments without a tenant, that $50 a month, $10,000 in equity is not really worth much.

    The main thing you absoultely must make sure when you are buying TK is that the major systems are newer and that the TK provider fixes 95% of the things on the inspection report. I advise picking your own inspector.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @RI N.

    The rent and purchase price are co-related mostly because of the acquisition price. Rent prices and appraised values are also co-related too. If a home rents for $1,095, then in Memphis, it is probably worth about $100,000. REO agents & banks price the home based on value and most know that TK providers & local investors will get these homes and have the ability to rehab the homes cheaper than owner occupants, thus they are able to get a higher sales price. What we can do for $30,000 would easily cost a novice $40,000 to $50,000. Lenders know this and that is why super huge discounts are rarely seen in the foreclosure space anymore. Even though appraisers know the sales price going in, they still have to find comps to support the sales price. Appraisers are on the hook for these reports and the days of them pulling values of a hat are done. What you are likely to see in a Midwest market is wide variance of comps. For example, if I sell a house at $90k, then there are probably owner occupant comps at 75k, but there are also comps at 95 to 100k too. The wide variance in the owner occupant comps are conditions of homes, updates, etc.. More than ever lately, we are starting to get bites from owner occupants wanting to buy our homes at the top of market prices and we don't even post on the MLS (our site syndicates on Zillow though). Within those comps on the 90k homes, you will see investor comps that have the same variance. The difference on those comps is the 75k type comp, like the retail comps, is dates, systems are old. Those investors get the warm and fuzzy of getting equity, but cash flow will be difficult because of condition of the home. Then you have the legit TK companies who renovate their homes to retail standards, which will be sold at retail value. My personal opinion, those cash flow more.

    It all depends the type of TK home you want. Within my market there are the value guys who sell cheap, yet spend the least on rehabs. We all source the properties from the same places and the only way those TK companies can sell cheaper is to scale back on the rehab. It is not like the TK company selling at 75k instead of 90k is buying better, they are just doing less. Obviously a lot easier to sell a home when the #'s look great.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    For the first time ever, I am seeing our homes get retail inquires and even a few sells. While I agree, more investors then homeowners, I think 20 to 1 in true B class is maybe a tad overstated as a whole.  In C class, yes.  In my market, B class is about 70/30.  A class is 90/10.  Twice so far we have done an owner occupant deal before a investor snagged the deal.  Actually I would rather work with investors as the management is a huge focus for me and working with most retail agents on 120k and below is as painful as a vasectomy. 


    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @RI N.  from my perspective your having a hard time with what is market value

    in most turn key markets there is little to no retail ( IE selling to homeowners) activity in the asset class's that are sold for turn key.. and if there is its maybe 20 to 1.. IE 20 sold for rentals 1 sold to a homeowner.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig  when I first started loaning in mid west it was all to fix and flippers for retail... exits at 75 to 120k... when it became harder for those folks to qualify those rehabber flippers got on the turn key wagon and for the reasons you state never looked back.

    Now in those neighborhoods its my experience that investor purchases are the norm retail rare. Now that's in Investor rental dominated areas. I fund fix and flippers that are retailing 80 to 110k product but there is no turn key in those sub markets .. and your right its a whole nother level of frustration working with lenders especially since its predominantly FHA and all the rigors that comes with that..

    What I find most interesting though In the RE market is in the upper ends or starter price points that I build in in Oregon and Charleston IE for 2k SQ ft DETACHED SFR's on city size lots.. .not little tiny things... price point 300 to 600k...

    I asked my listing agent to give me a run down on who is doing what with financing on our Oregon 27 homes sub we are currently building out.... ( listing agent is my wife :)) so far we have had 3 cash sales at 350 to 370k... 3 FHA's and the rest conventional.. in Charleston the numbers are about the same.. We just closed a 465k one for cash.

    If I look back prior to 08... the amount of cash sales were next to none.. and buyers tended to put minimum down... So like whats happening now in the market place on the retail end.. and for those reasons I am not predicting a big bubble pop...

    Plus in our market rents have gone up substantially so even payments on a 350k home with 20% down are just a tad over rent... so I think we are good.

    WE sell ZERO to investors... prior to 08 this is were folks talk about speculators... those folks left the building..

    Now you will get those folks buying new in your market were the numbers still work fairly well and in Texas and other markets were you can bring a 150k new build to market... but not in our markets.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Charles Lemelle

    I touched on this a little bit in a post within this thread. Yes, there are different prices within the neighborhoods and all have to do with the condition of the house. You have owner occupants paying top of market for houses with upgrades (better flooring, better fixtures, better finishes, ceramic tile bathrooms, kitchens, general updates overall), then you have owner occupants who buy the cheapest houses, maybe because they want a smaller mortgage and do not mind doing some sweat equity over time. On the investors side, it is no different. You have TK providers who offer the homes as cheap as possible, not because they bought better than anyone else, but because they did the bare minimum. A novice investor will see a 80k home, go on Zillow and see the rent range is the same as a home 1 street over that is priced at 90k. The newbie investors will not take into consideration that one house may have vinyl plank floors instead of carpet, or ceramic tile, updated fixtures, etc. New investors tend to be #'s driven and overlook the home itself. What a novice may not understand is that in today's market, there are so many TK providers and local investors offering their homes that are rehabbed the same way as the top of market retail listing too. Therefore, the 90k home will have less maintenance and shorter periods of vacancy. Just like the retail listing where there are buyers at the low and high end, there are investors who do the same. This is why TK homes are mostly sold at full retail, b/c the best TK providers understand these homes are far likely to be more successful than offering homes 10k cheaper, but not rehabbed. Good TK providers don't want to deal with the snowball effect of selling cheap, poorly renovated properties as not only will tenants be constantly calling about maintenance, investors will be calling very pissed they are not cash flowing. I would much rather sell the home with lower cap rate, but more passive for all involved and the investor send me a referral b/c the experience has been so good.

    BTW, I am not knocking newbies or novices. Everybody starts out that way, I am simply making the point of why there are variances within the same area on investment sells and the ones usually buying the cheapest investment home on the market are those who are #"s driven and don't look at the full scope of the overall deal, namely condition of home, which tend to me novices. The unfortunate part is the TK companies who sells these less than stellar homes prey on the least experienced investors.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig  one of my turn key clients just takes every property down to the studs and rebuild s them totally

    new electrical new plumbing HVAC systems roof windows... insulation sheet rock.. nice cabinets full tiled and granite baths along with granite and stainless appliances including dishwasher ( e hm) which is rare in rental stock and Garborators as well. which many skip on..

    Once you have one of theirs you basically have a brand new home but of course they sell for far more.. But still far less than replacement or new construction.. then at the end of the day they hit that 1. 3  ish number .. so pretty good value all around really.

    skimping or simply covering up poor rehab will lead an out of state investor to the poor house quicker than you can say Money pit.

    All in all I really like the new crop of TK providers generally the one's that have stepped up their game especially... And wholesale prices of these houses from owners that have an advanced case of burnt out landlord syndrome and other home sellers have gone up... from what I fund I see price's at wholesale have risen about 20 to 30% in the last 24 months.. and some markets even more Like parts of ATL where wholesale has double.. and Vegas were it tripled

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Charles Lemelle

    I guess one could view the PM company in a way is a kickback to the Turnkey company, but I see it more as a necessary function to create a long term relationship and oversee the investment for the client who bought the property. Don't get me wrong, the PM is a great long term business for my TK company seeing that our clients are almost exclusively long term buy and hold. With that in mind, it creates a huge incentive for my Property Management company to exceed expectations and give outstanding customer service. 

    As for any other kickbacks, the only one I get is discounts on closing from my Closing attorney if he closes both sides. @Jay Hinrichs he is 100% right, if the mortgage company gave me a kickback, they would not only lose their license, they would go to prison too. I could see high volume borrowers who have already done 6, 7 or more loans getting a discount. That is no different than when I go into Home Depot and buy a bundle of shingles at $17.25 and the walk in customer pays $23.25. That is what $500,000 a year in material purchases will get you. That is the only kickback I get, 5% in purchases, but our investors under management enjoy our volume discounts (like the shingles). Home Warranty companies--they are worthless, don't recommend. They call on me, but never offered a kickback. Insurance companies, that is probably the most far fetched. I wish I got a kickback there, but all I get is increases every year and an agent trying to sell me on additional business policies. My agent did take me to see Golden St beat the Grizzlies by 50, not sure if that is considered a kickback! 

    I don't think (and least I am not seeing it), this massive conclusion you think there is. But I will say, just like any business, there are relationships and I am no different, I like to do business with people that I like. However, if that company sucks, I don’t care how nice they are, I can't use them as clients come to us for a smooth experience. A crummy vendor will only make life on my more difficult and my business will suffer. The best vendors are the ones we like to work with, help our clients and make our business better.

    At the end of the day, we sell houses and we do have vendors we like to work with and do refer and I like I said above, they make our business better.  However, we always tell our clients that we have people we can recommend that are easy to work with and do a good job, or you can pick yourself. This is not Communist Cuba, we don't tell people who they have to work with. I would worry about the TK providers who take the communist approach and force their will on you.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig  I think just got the sense that @Charles Lemelle was seeing this as some kind of New York Mafia thing were you guys get a taste from everyone and such.. I guess he lives in an area or has reason to believe the mid west would be like that.

    Out here in Oregon this just does not happen...

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs LOL. Now if you start seeing the TK provider recommending which garbage company to recommend, then that would be a red flag. 

  • Punxsutawney, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alex Craig:

    @Charles Lemelle

    I touched on this a little bit in a post within this thread. Yes, there are different prices within the neighborhoods and all have to do with the condition of the house. You have owner occupants paying top of market for houses with upgrades (better flooring, better fixtures, better finishes, ceramic tile bathrooms, kitchens, general updates overall), then you have owner occupants who buy the cheapest houses, maybe because they want a smaller mortgage and do not mind doing some sweat equity over time. On the investors side, it is no different. You have TK providers who offer the homes as cheap as possible, not because they bought better than anyone else, but because they did the bare minimum. A novice investor will see a 80k home, go on Zillow and see the rent range is the same as a home 1 street over that is priced at 90k. The newbie investors will not take into consideration that one house may have vinyl plank floors instead of carpet, or ceramic tile, updated fixtures, etc. New investors tend to be #'s driven and overlook the home itself. What a novice may not understand is that in today's market, there are so many TK providers and local investors offering their homes that are rehabbed the same way as the top of market retail listing too. Therefore, the 90k home will have less maintenance and shorter periods of vacancy. Just like the retail listing where there are buyers at the low and high end, there are investors who do the same. This is why TK homes are mostly sold at full retail, b/c the best TK providers understand these homes are far likely to be more successful than offering homes 10k cheaper, but not rehabbed. Good TK providers don't want to deal with the snowball effect of selling cheap, poorly renovated properties as not only will tenants be constantly calling about maintenance, investors will be calling very pissed they are not cash flowing. I would much rather sell the home with lower cap rate, but more passive for all involved and the investor send me a referral b/c the experience has been so good.

    BTW, I am not knocking newbies or novices. Everybody starts out that way, I am simply making the point of why there are variances within the same area on investment sells and the ones usually buying the cheapest investment home on the market are those who are #"s driven and don't look at the full scope of the overall deal, namely condition of home, which tend to me novices. The unfortunate part is the TK companies who sells these less than stellar homes prey on the least experienced investors.

    I thank you Alex. You and Jay have certainly shared a lot of knowledge with me. I have to process some of it now. I learned from your same neighborhood, different conditions of homes make different prices for investors and owner occupants alike. I just for the life of me will never know why you guys are unwilling to just say "Yes. the 100k house on Main street is going to be the same price for an investor and an owner occupant." I have figured it out now. But we sure went a long way around the mulberry bush to get there.

    JK Alex. I really like your posts. Informative !

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig  I got a piece of glass art that I bought in Venice hijacked by the New York long shoreman Mafia  LOL.. guy calls me with this very New York accent and tells me I have to pay him 100 bucks if I want my art work... or he is sending it back... I paid it... I am sure it went right in his pocket.

  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Charles Lemelle if we are selling a 100k home to a investor, it would be the same price for a owner occupant. I have a in hour Realtor handle the transaction of all our deals and if he had different price structures, then he would lose his license. In other words, if we listed on the MLS for $110,000, but our website said $100,000, that would be a huge violation of rules by a Realtor. Even if I did not use a Realtor, our site syndicates to Zillow, which would make it impossible to have different prices for our homes depending on the nature of the buyer. That being said, I would when we get a retail offer, I do not discount the home and I would consider a discount for a investor. Reason being is that when I sell to the owner occupant, the deal is done and there is not the ongoing management. I would rather sell to a investor anyways; owner occupants buy 1 home, investors buy more then 1. But if a owner occupant says they want to buy one of our homes, then we have to sell to them if we do not have it under contract. Namely, because of what I said earlier about having a Realtor involved, but it is also the right thing to do in a free market.

  • Punxsutawney, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Alex Craig  I think just got the sense that @Charles Lemelle was seeing this as some kind of New York Mafia thing were you guys get a taste from everyone and such.. I guess he lives in an area or has reason to believe the mid west would be like that.

    Out here in Oregon this just does not happen...

    I'm also apparently young, rude, but good online.

  • Punxsutawney, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Alex Craig  I got a piece of glass art that I bought in Venice hijacked by the New York long shoreman Mafia  LOL.. guy calls me with this very New York accent and tells me I have to pay him 100 bucks if I want my art work... or he is sending it back... I paid it... I am sure it went right in his pocket.

    Did he sound ANYTHING like your property manager ?

  • Punxsutawney, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alex Craig:

    @Charles Lemelle if we are selling a 100k home to a investor, it would be the same price for a owner occupant. I have a in hour Realtor handle the transaction of all our deals and if he had different price structures, then he would lose his license. In other words, if we listed on the MLS for $110,000, but our website said $100,000, that would be a huge violation of rules by a Realtor. Even if I did not use a Realtor, our site syndicates to Zillow, which would make it impossible to have different prices for our homes depending on the nature of the buyer. That being said, I would when we get a retail offer, I do not discount the home and I would consider a discount for a investor. Reason being is that when I sell to the owner occupant, the deal is done and there is not the ongoing management. I would rather sell to a investor anyways; owner occupants buy 1 home, investors buy more then 1. But if a owner occupant says they want to buy one of our homes, then we have to sell to them if we do not have it under contract. Namely, because of what I said earlier about having a Realtor involved, but it is also the right thing to do in a free market.

    Thank you for the information. Yeah that investor discount for ongoing management business, and potential further purchases makes a lot of business sense to me. I would feel out a owner occupant for potential good word of mouth, and the possibility that they may be a future investor with you as well. That actually describes me in the coming months. I will be buying for myself, and then investing.

  • Stephen FrancoPro Member
    Scranton, PA · Member since 2016 · 201 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    I love helping people with turnkey rentals with high cash flow...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fair Lawn NJ · Member since 2016 · 382 posts · 87 votes
    10y
    Great informative post on TK! Thank you
  • Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @RI N.  I am not and have never been a TK provider.. .I am a financier of many different real estate models including some turn key.. prior to 08 I was one of the top 10 lenders in the turn key space. Plus a home builder developer in Oregon and Charleston SC...

    And by lender I mean HML that financed turn key buyers.

    YOu see prior to 08 the way folks went about buying turn key was the BRRR method. Although some think it was just invented here on BP in the last few years.

    We loaned to turn key buyers in LA and all over the country.. to put them into title so they could then once rehab was done get a rate and term refi.. there by paying off my HML... I did literally thousands of them we did 40 to 60 a month in 6 of our strongest markets.. so pretty versed at the space as I have literally funded well over 100 million dollars worth of these. And in excess of 250 million in all other avenues over a 40 plus year career.. but like most lenders we got kicked in the Teeth in 08 and 09 I had just under 500 of these on the books and ended up owning a little over 200 of them and losing many millions of dollars in the process... so the thought that rentals will save the day in a down turn is just not true.. they can in the right spots... but it takes a lot of work to stay on top of them. and thankfully we were not in Vegas or FLA or AZ other wise I probably would be dead right now. it was bad enough.. so I most definitely have a PHD in this asset class. plus I bought 350 of them from 2011 to when I sold out in 2013...

    so that's my story..  Brie and I created turn key reviews based on my conversation with her that it would be great if there was a website were all turn key companies could go and the public could go to comparison shop.. with the thought that the one's doing very good would get some positive feedback and those that needed to up there game would get constructive feedback.. So far its worked very well.. We get reports back that many of the turn key providers on the site have gotten sales from the site.. BP is a small % of the folks that go to TK Reviews...

    So its all good.. I like the new version of Turn Key providers they are soooo much more on top of it than the last group that was pre 08..... Internet for one has made them step up their game.

    And for the starting investor who wants to own rentals its a nice alternative... For those that want to DIY well you can certainly do that... and many who live in Sitsu do that in their markets... its basically those that live on the coast in high price point markets that drive the mid west turn key model.. And foreigners.

    Jay, can you speak about investing $50-80k in a single turn key home, vs. investing the same amount in a REIT consisting of multiple SFHs vs. investing the same amount in a syndicated 100+ unit apartment deal. I am mainly asking about the pros and cons of the first 2 avenues I mentioned.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Andrey Y.  personal choice... when you own a home yourself no partners your have unilateral control.. Riet has the ability if its traded publicly to liquidate the fastest of all investments. Synciation your one of many and have handed control to the GP or sponsor .. results will rest squarly on this persons ability ...

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Alex Craig

    Thank you for your responses. Many like You and @Jay Hinrichs have shared a wealth of information. I will continue to do my DD but I understand better the expectations and price points. I've enjoyed it all- big thanks. Hopefully I will be able to return the favor to you and others in the future.

    Best Rgds

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Make the sure it cash flows like it should and that you know the management company really well.  

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @RI N. One thing that is missing in this conversation is the simple fact that the word "Turnkey" is just a marketing term.  It has no real meaning ~ especially not today.  It is over-used as a shiny-object marketing ploy and more often than not, it is used by companies that are lacking some key elements that many of us who have been in the passive industry for a while, believe need to exist to be a true turnkey opportunity.  

    As a consumer, you need to look carefully and verify the services being offered.  That is critical to the true value of a passive investment.  You are asking questions about what you can and cannot do and about the value of a property and I would answer by telling you that you determine the value of an investment.  A good third party appraiser (or two or three) can give you an educated best guess of price value, but only you can determine if you are overpaying or underpaying because true value involves so much more than simply price.

    To your questions about do Turnkey companies negotiate pricing and rent correlation, you will get exactly zero of what you don't ask for.  So ask for it.  The worst that can happen is your told no.  A company like mine that is crystal clear about the value we provide and having no trouble with demand for our services, we may not be willing to negotiate.  That is not a bad thing, it just means that a company can say yes or no.  As a consumer, it should be very clear for you to be able to decide if you want to do business or not.  You should not feel guilty and neither should a provider.  We both should be able to communicate with no issues.  IF you find that it is difficult to communicate or the company is being wishy-washy and evasive or overly eager to get a deal done, you probably don't have the right company.  And if the company is up front, but you are not fully satisfied, then you can always decide not to do business.

    The main thing for you as a consumer is to know exactly what you want and be comfortable with taking a while to find it.  Be patient.  A good company is not going to try and sell you.  It should be a comfortable fit.

    As for rent ratios, again I will refer to my business and experience.  My advice is to forget about the business practice for a moment.  A good business is going to price their properties appropriately.  By that I mean, they will not under or overprice a property.  It will be appropriate based on the property itself and the value of the services provided.  This is where it will get tricky for you.  You will have to decide based on your due diligence whether or not the company is big enough, profitable enough and staffed properly to provide you the services you expect.  The only way those things occur is if they first make money and second use that revenue appropriately to build a business that provides great service.  If they fail at either of those, then in many cases you will not be a satisfied passive investor.

    Back to the business practice of it appearing that companies price their properties based on rent ratios.  If you are able to identify that as a pattern, then you know that the company believes their value is providing that return on a consistent basis OR they are trying to make as much money on each deal as possible regardless.  I can't fault a company in either scenario.  You, however, get to decide after you determine that is how they price properties whether an individual deal is good enough based on the value provided by that company for you to buy.  How they price is really irrelevant.  What they provide to you for that price is the only thing that matters.

    A good company will always be upfront with their pricing strategy and how that fits into the unique value proposition they offer a client when buying from them.

    Hopefully, that helps.

  • Investor · Fallston, MD · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    RI-- Here is my perspective on turnkey rentals for new or experienced investors looking for xx yield.

    Background first-  I've been an investor/developer, builder, landlord (fair market and subsidized), private lender, project manager for 20yrs and for the past 7yrs an "accidental" litigator, involved in litigation against all the major banks for all the bad things they did to consumers and investors.

    I didn't go to law school but had to learn on my own (10,000 hours later in commercial law, trust law, tax law, securitization, syndication, consumer protection, fed, state and bk rules, appeals, etc) and ended up litigating in about 20 different states. Also used to be a deep sea diver working in the oilfield doing underwater construction-- so I have a lot of construction and PM background.

    We also had a $3MM real estate investing/development business wiped out overnight when hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans a decade ago-- had to rebuild from scratch in an entirely new city. 

    Could write a book about how ins. cos. try to screw policy holders and refuse to pay legitimate claims in a city that was underwater for 3 weeks-- but I digress......

    that said --we "fell" back into r.e. after a 7yr hiatus after people suffering from litigation fatigue deeded us their properties- many of them.  We've also done a lot of short sales.

    Some good attorneys I worked with suggested "stop fighting the bank..  be the bank..." and that is how we ended up buying pools of non-performing notes-- since we can be much more effective advancing social good-- keeping people in their homes and putting a business/ profit model around it.  You can make money actually doing the right thing that the big banks won't-- having had to do our own "modifications" (a joke) on res. and commercial property-- we know how to do workouts and underwrite as well.

    All of the above is important to give you perspective on the comments I'll share on turnkey rentals-  We have a lot of inventory now (midwest, southeast, mid-atlantic)-- much of it is/ or has been sold on owner financing or as a turnkey rental.

    When I model out the exit on a property we pick up -- I look at 2 back ends (excepting the ones we keep in rental portfolio)  1) sell on owner financing 2) sell a turn key rental.

    1) The owner financing payment has to be affordable and below the market rent for the area to attract a buyer with dinged credit and a down payment that has the highest chance of succeeding in buying the home eventually. We-- generally- stick with 33%/48% ratios to underwrite-- 33% of gross monthly income toward house payment (PITI) and 48% of gross toward other obligations (excepting groceries, gas, etc). By sticking with these ratios( there are some compensating factors to move those around) we generally have less than 10% default rate.

    2) The turn key rental/ sell to an investor properties has these attributes-- 1) property is in decent repair (not the Taj Mahal- but decent clean housing), 2) major repairs are done, 3) tenant is screened/underwritten like when we sell on owner financing-- we do criminal background, don't care about credit as long as they paid their last landlord and the one before- or have good reason for not doing so, 4) 12 month lease, 5) sell on 10 or 12 cap (10% or 12% annual ROI) depending on neighborhood.

    In working class neighborhoods we sell turn keys on 10 cap, in lower income neighborhoods we sell turn keys on 12 cap.  We don't work in the hood/war zone as I've had enough of the hassle after 20yrs of doing this.-- You can make $$ in the hood-- but it's not good place for passive investors buying turn key rentals to buy in.  

    You may be temped to buy in the hood due to the pro forma (projected) yield, but when the vacancy happens and the property needs repairs-- the extra security, break-ins, theft, etc can eat you if you don't know what you are doing.

    We also sell the above turn keys on those cap rates based on fair market rent rates. If the turn key has a subsidized tenant in, it -- then it's the cherry on top for the turn key buyer.

    Having had about 60 units in New Orleans when Katrina hit and having dozens of units now- we had a lot of subsidized units-- back then Sec8 was paying 130% of fair market rents.  But the banks we dealt with always wanted numbers run on fair market in case the Sec8 market dries up-- it usually does when a lot of investors flood in.

    Subsidized tenants are a great way to boost your annual ROI. We often (with a few exceptions) rented to those with partial vouchers (when they used a voucher system) meaning the tenant paid usually 20% of the rent. That meant they had to work or had to have some income and contributed to the rent-- meaning they were less likely to destroy the place-- they had a little skin in the game.

    We sell with and w/o management-- make sure you factor in management cost-- even if self managed-- because you may turn it over to a manager later. Management fees in our markets still run about 10% of monthly gross and 1/2 to 1 month rent to place a new tenant. Ideally you want a manager that is also an investor since they more likely have your interests in alignment with theirs and know more than general property managers- this is not always possible but look for that.

    Last comments--I would look at your target yield, pick your markets, then develop relationships with those you trust to buy from.

    We are always selling part of our inventory-- both turn keys and owner financing so we can recapitalize and buy more product -- Notes and properties-- to repeat the process over again.

    Most investors-- like us-- selling turn key rentals want: 1) repeat buyers and/or 2) referrals.  

    There are those short sighted investors that sell a lemon to an unwitting buyer-- but in my experience they are the exception and you can protect yourself with the same diligence you do when buying any property.

    Last-- verify-- never trust--  This is coming from a very trusting guy (until you try to screw me) but after litigating for the past several years-- dealing with hordes of lying attorneys, judges and bankers-- you MUST do your own diligence and don't trust anyone else-- unless they have a track record of past performance you can count on-- that goes for 1) sellers, 2) realtors (BPO agents), 3) title companies 4), attorneys, 5) appraisers and any other vendors you deal with-- 

    Contractors are a special breed of weird-- We have several good ones in the markets we do business in- but if one thing hasn't changed in 20yrs-- it's that contractors are generally a pain to deal with-- even the good ones flake out sometimes-- it just comes with the business.

    Hope that was helpful-- we have inventory we are always moving-- if you want me to send you what we have let me know-- 

    Hope this has been helpful as well and you succeed in meeting your goals in this business.

    todd wetzelberger

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.