making a cash offer without a realtor

making a cash offer without a realtor

Investor · Sewickley, PA · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 32 votes

Hello everyone.

We have a great realtor that we work with, but we are also interested in making an offer for a house that is not currently on the MLS or up for sale even. I know that people do this everyday, but I wanted to hear your advice for making a cash offer on a property (in Pennsylvania, especially) using a real estate attorney or other approach. We know the neighborhoods pretty well and have information from the county websites as well as some experience, so we would like to try this approach on our next purchase. WDYT BP?

5Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
8y
Hi Karen- I’m up in NE PA and closed on my second cash deal 2 months ago. The process was fairly simple and worked out great. The owner listed the property via newspaper and after reaching out to his Ad and taking an inspector through the building, we agreed on a price. I then called the title company that did a previous deal for me (with a realtor) and told them I was buying a house direct from a seller without realtors. They sent me a boiler plate sales agreement which I filled out and sent to the seller. He signed it and sent it back to me. The rest was like any other closing, we ran title and 10 days later met at the title office. I provided my title company a cashiers check and they provided the owner with his check. Done deal 😁 Is there anything specifically you were wondering about?
See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Yuriy Skripnichenko  Do you have to disclose that you're a broker?

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    @Gen SteMarie, what percentage of people respond to your offers?  I'd hate to have too many and then I can't move on all of them and look like I didn't know what I was getting into (because I didn't).  lol  Also, how do you account for unknown conditions in the house?  Or do you just say something about pending a home inspection and you change the offer if it needs serious work?

  • Rental Property Investor · Drums, PA · Member since 2017 · 345 posts · 365 votes
    8y
    Shawn Clark thanks. I went with the title company to process the closing because they also provide me with my title insurance. The seller was a bit “unique” ;) so I wanted to make sure all the T’s were crossed and I’s dotted.
  • Property Manager · Phialdelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 509 posts · 627 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam M.:

    @Yuriy Skripnichenko  Do you have to disclose that you're a broker?

     Yes, in PA you have to disclose if you are an agent in all types of real estate transactions 

  • Real Estate Investor · Scottdale, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Karen S. I have used Metro Settlement Services as a title company in the past buying a fsbo property. They're located in Greensburg.  They were great to work with. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Isaac El:

    @Antoine Martel Hi - I am new starting out, what advice do you give for finding deals off market?

     Isaac.

    What kind of deals are you looking for? 

  • Professional · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Jody Schnurrenberger There are always contingencies in place in the Purchase Agreement, so that we can back out when we need to.  

  • Springfield Gardens, NY · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 63 votes
    8y

    @Antoine Martel looking to buy 1 and 2 family homes.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Karen S

    Hi Karen.  I found this old discussion thread while researching the mechanics of an all-cash property purchase without representation from an agent or attorney.  Interestingly enough I am also in the Pittsburgh area.  I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a Pittsburgh title company adept at handling all-cash direct deals between buyer and seller.  Also any other insights into these deals in general or specific to the Pittsburgh area would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Jon Neumann call the Greater Pittsburgh Settlement Company. PM me for their number, but it pops up in a google search (it won’t let me post it here). They’re located downtown right next to PPG Paints Arena. 

    This is a part of Scolieri Law group, which is a team of real estate focused attorneys. We love Phil & team. I’m sure they’ve handled all cash transactions, and they handled our “no agent” (but we had financing) deal last fall. 

    Hope that helps! 

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi @Lacee Beitler.  Thanks so much for the helpful advice.  It means a lot to get a recommendation from someone who has already done a similar deal in the area.  If I can get the seller to agree to a price I will definitely recommend the Greater Pittsburgh Settlement Company to help us finish off the deal.  I'm just looking for someone who can provide title insurance and serve as an unbiased facilitator to help close the deal and insure that all necessary forms are filed with state and local authorities.  Sounds like the folks at Greater Pittsburgh Settlement Company should be up for the task.  Best - Jon.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Jon Neumann

    For what it's worth, I've also worked with the same company and Scolieri Law group.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Jim K.  Glad to hear these guys have a solid reputation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.