James Wise and BiggerPockets Redlining?!?!?!

James Wise and BiggerPockets Redlining?!?!?!

Anthony GaydenPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I saw this article while browsing the web today.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/11/redlining-cleveland-investors-home-prices/574153/

The blog, posted on the real-estate investment platform BiggerPockets, shows how Wise grades real estate for investors, grouping Cleveland’s neighborhoods into four color-coded categories: “A Neighborhoods,”shaded dark green; “B Neighborhoods”shaded light green; “C Neighborhoods,” shaded yellow; and “D/F Neighborhoods” shaded red.

Wise’s maps ring eerily similar to redlining maps, the color-grading system used by the Home Owners Loan Corporation (HOLC), the National Association of Real Estate Boards, and the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) in the early-to-mid 20th century to demarcate which neighborhoods were worthy of property investment. Redlining was technically outlawed by the 1968 Fair Housing Act because it facilitated racial and economic segregation in many U.S. cities, segregation that persists.

11Reply
195 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

I saw this article while browsing the web today.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/11/redlining-cleveland-investors-home-prices/574153/

The blog, posted on the real-estate investment platform BiggerPockets, shows how Wise grades real estate for investors, grouping Cleveland’s neighborhoods into four color-coded categories: “A Neighborhoods,”shaded dark green; “B Neighborhoods”shaded light green; “C Neighborhoods,” shaded yellow; and “D/F Neighborhoods” shaded red.

Wise’s maps ring eerily similar to redlining maps, the color-grading system used by the Home Owners Loan Corporation (HOLC), the National Association of Real Estate Boards, and the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) in the early-to-mid 20th century to demarcate which neighborhoods were worthy of property investment. Redlining was technically outlawed by the 1968 Fair Housing Act because it facilitated racial and economic segregation in many U.S. cities, segregation that persists.

 Thanks for posting this Anthony. I spoke to that reporter a week or two ago & was wondering what type of nonsense he'd post when he published his article. I checked google a few times but didn't see it until I got a BP keyword alert. It was clear from the beginning of the call that he was an extremist & was hell bent on painting me as a racist despite facts to the contrary. The guy has no knowledge of the Real Estate Industry, he couldn't comprehend that the income of a tenant base had a direct effect on the risk of the investment. 

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Longview, WA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 176 votes
    7y
    So making observations on more or less profitable areas is racist if the demographics aren't weighted the same? What a joke.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:

    I saw this article while browsing the web today.

    https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/11/redlining-cleveland-investors-home-prices/574153/

    The blog, posted on the real-estate investment platform BiggerPockets, shows how Wise grades real estate for investors, grouping Cleveland’s neighborhoods into four color-coded categories: “A Neighborhoods,”shaded dark green; “B Neighborhoods”shaded light green; “C Neighborhoods,” shaded yellow; and “D/F Neighborhoods” shaded red.

    Wise’s maps ring eerily similar to redlining maps, the color-grading system used by the Home Owners Loan Corporation (HOLC), the National Association of Real Estate Boards, and the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) in the early-to-mid 20th century to demarcate which neighborhoods were worthy of property investment. Redlining was technically outlawed by the 1968 Fair Housing Act because it facilitated racial and economic segregation in many U.S. cities, segregation that persists.

     Thanks for posting this Anthony. I spoke to that reporter a week or two ago & was wondering what type of nonsense he'd post when he published his article. I checked google a few times but didn't see it until I got a BP keyword alert. It was clear from the beginning of the call that he was an extremist & was hell bent on painting me as a racist despite facts to the contrary. The guy has no knowledge of the Real Estate Industry, he couldn't comprehend that the income of a tenant base had a direct effect on the risk of the investment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    interesting article. thanks for posting.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @James Wise

    Wow James, congrats on single-handedly re-segregating Cleveland! You evil bastard! :)

    It is VERY interesting and really no surprise at all that his map matches so closely.  James you cannot let this stand (IMO). Any plan to defend yourself against this demonization or are you going to let it go?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dave DeMarco:

    @James Wise

    Wow James, congrats on single-handedly re-segregating Cleveland! You evil bastard! :)

    It is VERY interesting and really no surprise at all that his map matches so closely.  James you cannot let this stand (IMO). Any plan to defend yourself against this demonization or are you going to let it go?

     Haven't decided. It'd be tough to have a conversation with those that agree with an article from a guy like that. It's clear that the purpose of The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods is completely lost on him. I don't think he'd understand enough about the topic to even engage in a productive discussion. It'd be much like trying to teach your dog algebra. Just wouldn't make sense.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    @James Wise

    I understand the dilemma James. I would be (just me) formulating a "worst-case" plan if I were you. In the current climate, plus the power of the internet, these things can get out of hand quickly regardless of the fact that this is not your intent or doing.

  • Attorney · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 535 posts · 389 votes
    7y

    I'm very familiar with redlining. It's not Jame's fault that bank in the day, the banks created an inherently economically-lower tier of properties. Unfortunately, the after-effects of redlining are alive and well and impact many investors today, but that is something we all have to live with when assessing the viability of an investment property. Ultimately, I feel that if enough flippers get in the picture, the market value and investment stability of the redlined neighborhoods can eventually normalize.

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Unfortunately its not just redlining but could fall under "disparate impact" an unintentional discrimination .Once Hud gets involved even though no fault, fines and legal expenses could be significant if complaints are made. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2018 · 183 posts · 264 votes
    7y

    Pointing out uncomfortable facts makes some people scream "racist." I hope you do defend yourself from this BS, @James Wise. Your "Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods" is, hands down, the most useful web page I have ever run across. If web pages could be worn out from overuse, yours would be in need of serious rehab by now ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Sadly some people see “race “in everything Facts don’t care about feelings and that’s upsetting to some people I guess. I can’t see how Statistics are racist .I prefer to see things for what they are and not just through a black and white lens
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I think that it is a good thing to reflect on what investment can do to an area - both good and bad.  And while I have no dog in this fight, I think the article makes some interesting points.  

    If it were me, I would ignore the article and not get into a dog fight - but that is me.....

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    7y

    @James Wise

    A desperate article by a desperate journalist. Needed a story and decided to find something that could be twisted into racial profiling. Sad. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dave DeMarco:

    @James Wise

    I understand the dilemma James. I would be (just me) formulating a "worst-case" plan if I were you. In the current climate, plus the power of the internet, these things can get out of hand quickly regardless of the fact that this is not your intent or doing.

     ehh, I am not really all that worried about it. I am no stranger to viral exposure having gone viral several times with both positive & negative reactions from the general public each time. Real Estate Investors have always been and will always be vilified by some members of the general public not matter what we do. Being one of the most well known Investors in my market it comes with the territory. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 85 votes
    7y

    Good to hear James. Sorry this happened to you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex P.:
    So making observations on more or less profitable areas is racist if the demographics aren't weighted the same? What a joke.

     This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Alex P.:
    So making observations on more or less profitable areas is racist if the demographics aren't weighted the same? What a joke.

     This is what happens when everyone gets a trophy.

     I can remember after the GFC when there were huge note pools being sold.. the big buyers would say any state  Except OHIO and Michigan.. .. so they were redlining entire states..   I know when I had some credit lines with community banks in the deep south they used our facility to check the CRA box.. they liked us as borrowers and got the benefit of that stability yet making loans in areas that they would not really like to make them.. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 315 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    Sadly some people see “race “in everything Facts don’t care about feelings and that’s upsetting to some people I guess. I can’t see how Statistics are racist .I prefer to see things for what they are and not just through a black and white lens

    watch out, @dennis m, now someone is going to write an article calling you and BP racist

    LOL

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    We have a saying in my line of work..."don't feed the crazy"....... so James if I were you, I would not engage ANYONE associated with this article and reaction....you wont "win" and all you do is feed their craziness by engaging in the fight at all

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Nothing the media or government does these days shocks me anymore. Their agenda is to divide us all and make themselves look relevant and we need them. Imagine a world without the media and politicians. Pretty peaceful huh? On the business side if that, numbers don't lie. If my market research indicates certain areas are investment worthy and others aren't, I really could care less about the racial demographics.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    Jim is not redlining he is simply drawing lines on a map and describing neighborhoods based on age and theft and school data.. I suspect.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joel Fine:

    Pointing out uncomfortable facts makes some people scream "racist." I hope you do defend yourself from this BS, @James Wise. Your "Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods" is, hands down, the most useful web page I have ever run across. If web pages could be worn out from overuse, yours would be in need of serious rehab by now ;)

     Thanks Joel. Glad the guide has helped you with your investing. I wrote the Guide almost 4 years ago & have received almost exclusively positive praise for it. This journalist & a few other in his circle on Twitter are extreme outliers. It's pretty clear from the tone of his article that he is part of the camp that vilifies all Real Estate Investors for simply being Real Estate Investors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Gayden it is helpful in determining areas to buy and beneficial to investors. But as realtors they are held to laws and regulations. This seems to be a violation of redlining or definitely at least in the gray area for sure where most tend to live in. BUT as an investor I see other out of state investors buying in E.C. . Someone should be able to say something about that. We all know locally that that's one of the worst places to invest. This is exactly why I don't get my license.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kristopher Hanks:

    @James Wise

    A desperate article by a desperate journalist. Needed a story and decided to find something that could be twisted into racial profiling. Sad. 

     Fake News always trying to stir the pot for the attention &/or click bait...Sad.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    Jim is not redlining he is simply drawing lines on a map and describing neighborhoods based on age and theft and school data.. I suspect.

    To bad that presenting the facts as they are is to offensive for those in the everyone deserves gets a trophy camp.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @James Wise Looks like somebody has you in their crosshairs .  

    I read the article , I didnt see anything racist , just facts usefull for investing . 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.