Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
I just opened escrow at 11:45 am on a Vegas property I am selling. I got my title commitment today at 3:36 pm today.. Just under 4 hours for a pre lim / or title commitment to you east coast folks. that i believe is a record for me. I have opened escrow at 8 or 9 in the morning and gotten a pre by end of business but never this quick. We close on friday.. but if we had to we could have close today..
Now that is great service.. this is WFG title here in Vegas..
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
My fastest was next day. It happened to be a property they had done a committment for only a few years before, so I am sure they spent less than 10 minutes on the chain of title. I closed in 2 days. Gal wanted to leave town to move closer to her daughter in prison. My local title company is great.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
@Elliot Galpern ya I was impressed.. now to be fair we own the property and its free and clear and this title company closed it for me less than 3 months ago its a flip.. and we are one of their biggest clients up in Oregon. And I know I got an intro do the Summerlin office from the state manager in Oregon to take care of me.. but this was astounding.
@Russell Brazil how bout you .. how fast can you get a title commitment/prelim title report ?
Fastest Ive gotten was 3 days if I recall correctly....also free and clear property, we had either a 5 or 7 day cash close period.
The way ours works is I order title with the title company (day 1)....they hire abstractor to do the title search, on a rush job, thats happening a day after (day 2) then the next day I get the clear from title if they put it into Old Republic or Fidelity or whoever early in the day, I get it in the afternoon. (day 3). Ive gotten them that quick twice, and thats it. Usually they get pissed at me if I want them quicker than 7 days.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
@Russell Brazil yup you guys have it tough with reports having to be hand done at the courthouse.
out our way each title and escrow company has their own title plant that's all digital. and most have moved off shore to the Philippines or other places.. so while we sleep they are working up title commitments. so we don't have any abstractors out this way.. if someone has to go to the court house its very rare.
@Jay Hinrichs Depends on the client. I have completed full title searches in-house same day and settled before close of business. Depending on the jurisdiction the parties may need to agree to resolve certain things post closing.
Exception rather than the rule of course but it can be done over here.
@Elliot Galpern ya I was impressed.. now to be fair we own the property and its free and clear and this title company closed it for me less than 3 months ago its a flip.. and we are one of their biggest clients up in Oregon. And I know I got an intro do the Summerlin office from the state manager in Oregon to take care of me.. but this was astounding.
That deal takes less than 10 minutes of work to agree to insure ... as long as internet access is available.
Impressive turnaround for sure but it can be done for the right clients/situations.
Investor · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 46 votes
7y
I got title commitment AND closed in 24 hours on a purchase! I don't remember how long the title commitment itself took to get, although I know it was the same day. I spent my entire day back and forth between my small bank, the title company, and the insurance company and closed on a 20% down 5/1 ARM amortized for 25 years with a 10 year balloon the day after contacting my bank about the loan. I had to make sure everyone got their jobs done and I'm sure I annoyed them all, but I got it done!
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
My fastest was next day. It happened to be a property they had done a committment for only a few years before, so I am sure they spent less than 10 minutes on the chain of title. I closed in 2 days. Gal wanted to leave town to move closer to her daughter in prison. My local title company is great.
@Jay Hinrichs Depends on the client. I have completed full title searches in-house same day and settled before close of business. Depending on the jurisdiction the parties may need to agree to resolve certain things post closing.
Exception rather than the rule of course but it can be done over here.
OK Tom I will remember that.. with this one we opened escrow Tuesday and wanted to close on Friday.. so I was just a little shocked that I got the prelim in less than four hours.. without really asking for a rush..
I got title commitment AND closed in 24 hours on a purchase! I don't remember how long the title commitment itself took to get, although I know it was the same day. I spent my entire day back and forth between my small bank, the title company, and the insurance company and closed on a 20% down 5/1 ARM amortized for 25 years with a 10 year balloon the day after contacting my bank about the loan. I had to make sure everyone got their jobs done and I'm sure I annoyed them all, but I got it done!
now that is impressive to add the bank loan in there.. I think the best my commercial banker could or would do might be open escrow Monday close on a loan Friday.. its why he gave me a big unsecured LOC.. when I ask for this stuff he says just fund with your LOC then we will back fill.. LOL took the stress off of him.. its how we bought sherrif/trustee sales. tag unsecured line get Trustees deed or sherrif deed then tag to our buy and hold line
Investor · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 46 votes
7y
@Jay Hinrichs that’s an awesome way to do it! I honestly don’t know why I never thought of asking for such a thing. Of course, mine is a local bank and we are looking to start acquiring elsewhere, so I have to find a new lender now... I bought the last one on credit cards and refinanced.
@Jay Hinrichs that’s an awesome way to do it! I honestly don’t know why I never thought of asking for such a thing. Of course, mine is a local bank and we are looking to start acquiring elsewhere, so I have to find a new lender now... I bought the last one on credit cards and refinanced.
yup commercial banks and their unsecured LOC we can use to buy anywhere but they will not put a longer term mortgage on anything out of their footprint.. and that's the same with virtually all commercial banks.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Jay Hinrichs same day! Did you need it done that quickly?
3 days is usually the standard for me, but I never even need it that fast so I haven't tested them to see if 1 day is even possible.
no did not need it that day just opened escrow on Tuesday with a close on Friday.. e mailed contract over at about 10:45 am and just about 3pm the pre lim popped into my inbox.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Jay Hinrichs still a pretty quick closing. What kind of deal are we talking? :)
its cash on a SFR flip in Vegas I bought it on auction dot bomb in December and I always buy my own title insurance I don't like theirs ( auction dot bomb) or the sellers who they choose.. so I had WFG insure this.. even though if you go with the sellers title insurance the seller pays for it. but I like to know if I have an issue I can call MY company that values MY business not some random title company that does not know me.
and its a cash sale.. so pretty straight forward. buyer was using a trust they got the trust document in Yesterday as well.
so I am signing tomorrow and get my check on Friday LOL.. of course I never get checks I only accept wires for sellers proceeds. Not after some of the horror stories I have heard about with title and escrow companies in Texas going BK and sellers not getting proceeds.. NO checks only wires.
Realtor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 24 votes
7y
@Jay Hinrichs fastest I’ve gotten one of my clients was a cash feel week between Christmas and New Years and got it in a day and a half. Was amazed that we actually were able to close in 4 days due to timing with inspection.
@Jay Hinrichs fastest I’ve gotten one of my clients was a cash feel week between Christmas and New Years and got it in a day and a half. Was amazed that we actually were able to close in 4 days due to timing with inspection.
yes that time of year can be slow with vacations and such.. nice job. !
Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 893 votes
7y
@Jay Hinrichs you're still finding good flip deals on auction.com huh? I always ignore it and just rely on my off market pipeline but I do wonder if there's much worthwhile on there with all of the investor eyes on it.
Definitely understand what you're saying re: using your own title company. I've actually given a seller a higher offer before so he would allow me to use my title company. They know our process, they're responsive, and can help us sort out the weird stuff if it happens.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Jay Hinrichs you're still finding good flip deals on auction.com huh? I always ignore it and just rely on my off market pipeline but I do wonder if there's much worthwhile on there with all of the investor eyes on it.
Definitely understand what you're saying re: using your own title company. I've actually given a seller a higher offer before so he would allow me to use my title company. They know our process, they're responsive, and can help us sort out the weird stuff if it happens.
we get half a dozen a year in Vegas on that site. you have to really work it though.. other markets its easier.
keep in mind everything is toughest in CA with all the money that is there chasing deals..
Real Estate Agent · Souderton, PA · Member since 2016 · 591 posts · 414 votes
7y
@Christina Linn I thought the OP was impressive, but to add a loan in there is nothing short of a miracle. You should call Guinness, because I’m certain that’s a world record. I’m lucky to get title in a week, and loans take about 15 days if we want to hustle. But then again that’s what we are trying to do. Why would you even want to close it a day, what’s the rush?
@Christina Linn I thought the OP was impressive, but to add a loan in there is nothing short of a miracle. You should call Guinness, because I’m certain that’s a world record. I’m lucky to get title in a week, and loans take about 15 days if we want to hustle. But then again that’s what we are trying to do. Why would you even want to close it a day, what’s the rush?
agreed to start a loan in the morning and close that day or next is pretty remarkable.. I mean my commercial banker that I have 24 years with can really move.. but not like that !! Like I said that's why they give me a nice fat unsecured LOC so I can move and tag the secured line and not put him in a big rush.
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
@Jay Hinrichs, that is how I closed my deal so fast, I have a secured line of credit on a house I paid off. I go in get a certified check from the bank, walk across the street to the Title company, hand them the check, they close it. Works well for smaller properties. The bank will refinance 80% of the purchase price which I pay back on the line of credit. The hard part is getting the money to pay down the line of credit for the 20% not covered by the new mortgage. I have to sale a property or refinance a property with a lot of equity to reload it.