I have $250K to invest..... This or That?

I have $250K to invest..... This or That?

San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes

I am currently in the military for 17 years, have 2 elementary school aged kids and I have been dabbling in RE investing for over 15 years and still have a lot to learn, but have a 'this or that' question for you guys.  Today is my first day on BP and here is my situation:

-Have 250K in bank ready to invest from previous real estate transactions (house hacking mostly)

-I own a duplex in San Diego w mortgage and insurance: $2,850 and dual rental incomes are: $3550 with cash flow of: $700.  Equity: $300K

-I currently live in a 2/1 condo a block from the beach with $40K in equity worth $505K

-I plan to sell my condo (mortgage: $2,600 + $350 HOA = $2,950) I currently live in to cash in on $40K and release my VA loan (military) so ...…………….

SHOULD I

1 - Use my 250K for a down payment to buy a state of the art /new home 3/3/2 larger property; kitchen island, smart house, 2 car garage and extremely large rooftop deck, a block from the beach with a HOT HOT market for a house for $875K that will significantly increase in cost as they are building new restaurants and breweries in the area making it extremely desirable and pay 4K monthly (already pre-approved)

or

2 - Buy a 2-4 unit plex somewhere inland that is not as nice as the market in San Diego is high for 2-4 units and live in one unit and rent the others.

Please advise as I want to have the most cash flow, but also want to have a bigger place for my 2 kids that is near the beach that is atleast 3 bedroom.

Is there anything else I should be looking at for now?

Thanks so much guys,

Shaun

1Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Shaun S.:

I am currently in the military for 17 years, have 2 elementary school aged kids and I have been dabbling in RE investing for over 15 years and still have a lot to learn, but have a 'this or that' question for you guys.  Today is my first day on BP and here is my situation:

-Have 250K in bank ready to invest from previous real estate transactions (house hacking mostly)

-I own a duplex in San Diego w mortgage and insurance: $2,850 and dual rental incomes are: $3550 with cash flow of: $700.  Equity: $300K

-I currently live in a 2/1 condo a block from the beach with $40K in equity worth $505K

-I plan to sell my condo (mortgage: $2,600 + $350 HOA = $2,950) I currently live in to cash in on $40K and release my VA loan (military) so ...…………….

SHOULD I

1 - Use my 250K for a down payment to buy a state of the art /new home 3/3/2 larger property; kitchen island, smart house, 2 car garage and extremely large rooftop deck, a block from the beach with a HOT HOT market for a house for $875K that will significantly increase in cost as they are building new restaurants and breweries in the area making it extremely desirable and pay 4K monthly (already pre-approved)

or

2 - Buy a 2-4 unit plex somewhere inland that is not as nice as the market in San Diego is high for 2-4 units and live in one unit and rent the others.

Please advise as I want to have the most cash flow, but also want to have a bigger place for my 2 kids that is near the beach that is atleast 3 bedroom.

Is there anything else I should be looking at for now?

Thanks so much guys,

Shaun

Live first, invest second.  Selling the condo and buying the house you want to live in makes sense - your current housing expense is $3k and your new one would be $4k.  Spend the extra $1000 per month and live where it makes sense with your kids.

On the investing side, that duplex is a problem.  Gross cash flow of $700/m means zero free cash flow - while you've probably got a ton of unearned equity there (good for you - that's what you get for buying when you did in this market!), it doesn't sound like there's any current income there.  You said you want the most cash flow (I'll take that to mean "free cash flow") - I would look at taking that $300k in equity and putting it to better use.  Doing so locally or doing so elsewhere isn't so important ... but at this point in the cycle it needs to be earning current free cash flow whatever it's doing.

I totally get that's easier said than done - taxes, headache, risk, and everything else.  But, on paper, I think that's the ideal approach.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    I think you left off a major option.

    3) Sell the duplex and buy something in a market where cash flow is better.  With $300K in equity you can easily pull in cash flow of $30K to $45K per year, which is a huge step up from the $8,400 you are getting now.  That one change will cover MOST of your mortgage payments on your new house. Plus, you get the benefit of diversifying geographically.  Get your money out of a state that is hostile towards landlords and put it somewhere you can get higher returns.

  • Real Estate Broker · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    If you go with your 1st option it would be an ideal location for you and your kids, but money wise you can only hope that the value keeps going up in the area that you are looking at. The market has been going up for 10 years, it's bound to drop again in the near future. You would be losing 4k (according to what you've provided) a month which would take away from your goal of "having the most cash flow". Maybe consider not selling your condo, renting it out like you are doing with the duplex for more than the mortgage (I'm assuming if it's a block from the beach you can pull in some good cash flow), then just use the 250k for a down payment on the larger property you are considering getting with your kids. The 2 properties you have could at least mitigate some of the costs of the larger property. If possible, maybe even rent out a room in the larger property, giving you even more cash on hand. I hope it works out for you! 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Run the numbers, but I'd go for option 2.  The state of the art new home won't be state of the art in 5 years.

  • Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If go with option 2 or look at investing in other areas out of state. I invest for cashflow and never assume appreciation in the deal. Option 1 is just gambling on appreciation and sounds like it doesn’t fit with your long term goals. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 63 votes
    7y

    @Shaun Shiraishi, based on what you presented you can either get a nice place for you and your kids, or live inland and share your surroundings with three strangers (if you purchased a four-plex, lived in one and rented out three units).

    Putting family first I would do option 1. Personally, I would rather have a comfortable place for my kids in a nice, safe area, with good schools, more than dollars coming in the door (family > money).

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaun S.:

    I am currently in the military for 17 years, have 2 elementary school aged kids and I have been dabbling in RE investing for over 15 years and still have a lot to learn, but have a 'this or that' question for you guys.  Today is my first day on BP and here is my situation:

    -Have 250K in bank ready to invest from previous real estate transactions (house hacking mostly)

    -I own a duplex in San Diego w mortgage and insurance: $2,850 and dual rental incomes are: $3550 with cash flow of: $700.  Equity: $300K

    -I currently live in a 2/1 condo a block from the beach with $40K in equity worth $505K

    -I plan to sell my condo (mortgage: $2,600 + $350 HOA = $2,950) I currently live in to cash in on $40K and release my VA loan (military) so ...…………….

    SHOULD I

    1 - Use my 250K for a down payment to buy a state of the art /new home 3/3/2 larger property; kitchen island, smart house, 2 car garage and extremely large rooftop deck, a block from the beach with a HOT HOT market for a house for $875K that will significantly increase in cost as they are building new restaurants and breweries in the area making it extremely desirable and pay 4K monthly (already pre-approved)

    or

    2 - Buy a 2-4 unit plex somewhere inland that is not as nice as the market in San Diego is high for 2-4 units and live in one unit and rent the others.

    Please advise as I want to have the most cash flow, but also want to have a bigger place for my 2 kids that is near the beach that is atleast 3 bedroom.

    Is there anything else I should be looking at for now?

    Thanks so much guys,

    Shaun

    Live first, invest second.  Selling the condo and buying the house you want to live in makes sense - your current housing expense is $3k and your new one would be $4k.  Spend the extra $1000 per month and live where it makes sense with your kids.

    On the investing side, that duplex is a problem.  Gross cash flow of $700/m means zero free cash flow - while you've probably got a ton of unearned equity there (good for you - that's what you get for buying when you did in this market!), it doesn't sound like there's any current income there.  You said you want the most cash flow (I'll take that to mean "free cash flow") - I would look at taking that $300k in equity and putting it to better use.  Doing so locally or doing so elsewhere isn't so important ... but at this point in the cycle it needs to be earning current free cash flow whatever it's doing.

    I totally get that's easier said than done - taxes, headache, risk, and everything else.  But, on paper, I think that's the ideal approach.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Greg Scott

    Thanks Greg,

    I enjoy owning in California and being a property manager/landlord in my backyard so to speak. I have owned in Hawaii and Las Vegas and I relied too much on others to maintain and keep my properties in top shape.

    Much appreciated feedback!

    Shaun

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Marquez Griffin

    Hey Marquez,

    Thanks for reply, in actuality I bought the condo that I currently live with my veterans VA loan and didnt put a lot down 15k so the market rent is roughly $600 lower than mortgage and it would take about $200k just to make it where mortgage would be the same as rent. I had thought this would work as well, but the numbers dont add up.

    Thanks for feedback man!

    Shaun

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Theresa Harris

    This is true Theresa - I would basically be banking on the price going up which is a "what if" type situation.

    Thank you!

    Shaun

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Bombaci

    You make a great point, although I would like to be near beach w kids and a 3 bedroom, I would be at the mercy of the current market w option 1.

    Thanks Jonathan!

    Shaun

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Nick Foster

    Thank you for your reply Nick! Family does come first and that is why this decision is very difficult right now. I have no idea on the market right now and that is why putting most of my eggs in option 1 is a hard pill to swallow even if it does mean doing whats ultimately best for my family!

    Thanks man!

    Shaun

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Justin R.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply! With regards to duplex, its the $700/mo in free cash flow. Bought it for $450k with 250k down (10/31 xchange) and its now $650k, but I bought at a decent time (2015/2016).

    Live first, invest second... I like that!

    Being in san diego (as you know), its hard to find an investment where the cap rates are 9% or higher, but selling duplex and buying another one after I have the rents going up each year since inception is going to be difficult to get a better opportunity to increase the free cash flow.

    Thanks my friend!

    Shaun

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaun S.:

    @Justin R.

    Thanks for taking the time to reply! With regards to duplex, its the $700/mo in free cash flow. Bought it for $450k with 250k down (10/31 xchange) and its now $650k, but I bought at a decent time (2015/2016).

    Live first, invest second... I like that!

    Being in san diego (as you know), its hard to find an investment where the cap rates are 9% or higher, but selling duplex and buying another one after I have the rents going up each year since inception is going to be difficult to get a better opportunity to increase the free cash flow.

    Thanks my friend!

    Shaun

    Ahh. That's looking a little better, then.

    At $700/m, that's driving a 3.3% current return on invested capital.  Add in $300/m in loan amortization this year and that's bumped to 4.8%.  so, that's the floor.

    Of course the potential returns you got because of the market crush that.  Which is great, but also a problem in terms of money working efficiently.  The return on equity is something like 2.6% at the moment.

    This is fine so long as prices continue jumping 10% per year (they won't) or rent rates continue jumping 8% per year (they won't) because the current income doesn't matter.  But if annual appreciation reverts to inflation (2.5% annual appreciation rate) it will give something like an 11% total return.  That's not so attractive relative to other investments, including market-priced MFRs in non-coastal cities from both a risk and return perspective.

    I'm not saying it makes sense to go and sell the duplex at this moment, but if you keep it you should acknowledge that you've got a lot of equity there that's doing zilch for you ... And it could be used to drive the cash flow you're looking for even more effecitvely than the cash you've got lying around right now.

    It's a blessed position to be in!!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Justin R.

    I see what youre saying, so maybe my best option is to refi the equity to match current increasing rents, pull out another 200k-250k from the duplex and use that for another 2-4 unit investment -OR- use my 250k that I have now and add 250k from refi and buy a larger say.. 2mil 2-4 unit complex?

    Thanks Justin!

    Shaun

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shaun S.:

    @Justin R.

    I see what youre saying, so maybe my best option is to refi the equity to match current increasing rents, pull out another 200k-250k from the duplex and use that for another 2-4 unit investment -OR- use my 250k that I have now and add 250k from refi and buy a larger say.. 2mil 2-4 unit complex?

    Thanks Justin!

    Shaun

    I still say get the home that you want to raise your kids in.  You'll have plenty of time to make more money investing, but they'll only grow up once.

    If you can find a way to grab some of the equity from the duplex, I would do so without delay... assuming you're ok with little to no free cash flow on the duplex (fine, if you have other income streams).  Personally, and depending on the tax situation, I'd look at either investing that into a high quality syndication or local project with a partner or, if you're set on owning real estate yourself, look for a nice 8-12ish unit property in a location you believe in outside the coastal cities.  Normally I'd look first to stay local, but I haven't recently seen anything attractive that could be purchased with $200k cash or $800k leveraged with a conforming loan.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Justin R.

    Thanks for taking the time to write with your insight. I will most likely follow that advice and get something for the kids to grow in and take out equity from the duplex and buy another investment property!

    Cheers brother!

    Shaun

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.